Bread Machine - Potato Bread Recipe Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I want to make potato bread dough using a bread machine.

The recipe calls for 1/2 cup mashed potato (I don't want to use dry potato flakes).

Would/Should I add the ingredients in this order:

Using Bread Machine to make dough:
1. Liquid ingredients (water, eggs, milk, fat, honey)
2. Flour, to “seal” in the liquid
3. Other dry ingredients (dry milk, salt, sugar, seasonings)
- Add potatoes then other dry ingredients on top of them?
4. Add the yeast last

In another order?

Thank you in advance.

In my experience, I don't think it would matter how you put the ingredients in the machine.

The only thing I would recommend is that you watch the initial mixing process and, if necessary, scrape the "walls" down with a rubber spatula.

In my experience, I don't think it would matter how you put the ingredients in the machine.

The only thing I would recommend is that you watch the initial mixing process and, if necessary, scrape the "walls" down with a rubber spatula.
Thank you, Katie.
Will the dough get too high or not mix properly?

Last edited:
The order is to keep the yeast out of the water before you're ready to start. SLoB is right about the order. I would put the potato in the water so it doesn't cause any other ingredients to mix with the water too soon.

Sometimes the dough doesn't mix completely by itself, so watch it for a few minutes and scrape it down or push the dough ball over loose flour as it mixes. Sometimes I find that I need to add a little more flour or a little more water. It will be fine after that.

Last edited:
I'll add the potatoes to liquid ingredients and mix well. Then add the other ingredients in the order recommended.

Sounds good [emoji2]
Ok good.

Thank you for all for the advice.

I finally replaced my 9"X5" bread pans (my old ones ran away and never came back) :( and DD requested Potato Bread.

I just found a Bread Maker Potato Chive Bread Recipe which sounds wonderful. I'll make the dough in the machine then use loaf pans to bake in the oven.

Last edited:
My best rule of thumb is to separate the salt from the yeast. The rest is do it as you wish I usually put the salt at one corner of the pan and the yeast at the other, ignoring the other ingredients. I've never had a failure doing this.

One more silly question. It says 1/2 cup "mashed" potatoes in the recipe. Does that mean just mashed nothing added? Or should I add butter and cream (milk or sour cream?) to loosen them up a bit? I ask because when I make blintz filling I just boil and mash the potatoes with nothing added before adding to other ingredients.

Nothing added to the potatoes. I have a potato roll dough that I've made for years...just mashed potatoes.

I usually put the cooked potatoes in a small bowl and mash the bejeepers out of them with a small fork. Done deal.

Nothing added to the potatoes. I have a potato roll dough that I've made for years...just mashed potatoes.

I usually put the cooked potatoes in a small bowl and mash the bejeepers out of them with a small fork. Done deal.
Thank you, Katie. Would you please share your roll recipe?

Sure. I'll have to look it up. I'll post it later today.

The recipe was given to my mother by my grandmother and I, in turn, got it from my mother. I'm 71 so it's been around quite a while.

They were always made at Thanksgiving and Christmas, along with Easter.

Sure. I'll have to look it up. I'll post it later today.

The recipe was given to my mother by my grandmother and I, in turn, got it from my mother. I'm 71 so it's been around quite a while.

They were always made at Thanksgiving and Christmas, along with Easter.
Thank you so much Katie.

why don't you want to use instant potatoes? a jar of them are cheap and lasts a long time.

why don't you want to use instant potatoes? a jar of them are cheap and lasts a long time.

I agree - I have used potato flakes for many years just when making breads, and when I taste tested them next to fresh, mashed potatoes, in a plain white bread, I found no difference in flavor. To use them, I use a little more than the usual 1/2c usually called for, for a cup of mashed potatoes, but I measure out 2/3c into a glass measuring cup, and add water to the cup mark. The flakes will fairly quickly turn into mashed, and it works great in the breads.

Back
Top Bottom