Grinding your own beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
does anyone grind their own beec for hamburgers? I wonder if it is better beef to grind your own than to buy hamburger that has already been ground.

does anyone grind their own beec for hamburgers? I wonder if it is better beef to grind your own than to buy hamburger that has already been ground.

Of course it is better. You can choose whatever part of the meat you want instead of G-d knows what .

Best ever! lasts a life time! cheap to run! does a fantastic job!

Google for manual meat grinders

Attachments

• meat grinder.jpg
    meat grinder.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 331

I have heard pretty good things about the Gourmia but can't find one for sale anywhere.

I use the Kitchenaid grinder attachment that I got free with the mixer. It is a little slow, but works just fine. The most I ever grind is 2 pounds for a chili or spaghetti sauce recipe. Usually it is under a pound for burgers or sausage.

I keep cubed up chuck and sirloin in the freezer, which thaws to the perfect temp for grinding surprisingly fast. Grinding your own gives you so much better texture (especially for burgers, meatballs, etc.).

I got my first Kitchen Aid mixer in1982, with what was then a complete set of attachments, including the meat grinder. I don't use it often, but when I do, it's soooooo much better than store bought.

As others have said, buying a choice of meat you like and chopping it is noticeably better. I just use my food processor chopping blade and it works great.

I always grind my own meat. It allows you to choose the meat (chuck for me) but if you have multiple grinding plates you can change the texture. My wife and I prefer a coaster grind than comes from the store.

I always grind my own meat. It allows you to choose the meat (chuck for me) but if you have multiple grinding plates you can change the texture. My wife and I prefer a coaster grind than comes from the store.

What is "coaster grind"?

Are you saying that you use a coffee grinder to ground your beef?

No, he's not using a coffee grinder. Most meat grinders come with at least 2 different size grinding plates, usually 1 with fairly small holes for a fine grind, and 1 with bigger holes for a coarser grind. You can also buy plates for other size grinds. We use a dedicated LEM grinder, as we also make our own sausages, as well as ground beef.

I have read that you can also grind meat with a food processor, but you have to be careful not to do it for too long and end up with mush.

As I recall, it as difficult to get a uniform texture with reasonably sized pieces. Clearly you don't end up with the ground beef in strands as you get from the market.

Back
Top Bottom