Trying to simplify my eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frozen peeled pearl onions are available in Canada. You just need to find them. These are from
View attachment 52063

I get that the frozen ones are "convenient" and I tried them, years ago. I much prefer the fresh ones. Or the larger boiling onions! I just don't find them that difficult to deal with. Place in a bowl, poor boiling water over them, set timer for 2 minutes, do other prep for 2 minutes and then come back to them.

I get that the frozen ones are "convenient" and I tried them, years ago. I much prefer the fresh ones. Or the larger boiling onions! I just don't find them that difficult to deal with. Place in a bowl, poor boiling water over them, set timer for 2 minutes, do other prep for 2 minutes and then come back to them.

They aren't that hard to deal with. It's just one more thing that takes energy and time and it they are little. Takes a lot of fiddling for a small result. This is a thread about simplifying cooking.

They aren't that hard to deal with. It's just one more thing that takes energy and time and it they are little. Takes a lot of fiddling for a small result. This is a thread about simplifying cooking.

My apologies! I didn't realize that I strayed and went O.T.
smileys-thinking-082618.gif

I simplify my cooking by using frozen vegis for a lot of stuff. I am still looking for something available in just about any Danish supermarket: frozen root vegis. I really would like the "rustic", larger pieces of mixed root vegis. That would be perfect in a tray bake. I would also love to be able to buy the peeled, frozen, pearl onions that Jacques Pépin uses. When possible, I like to "let the grocery store be my sous-chef", as J.P. puts it.

Taxlady:​
Peal Onions are not onions. They are a member of the leek family. If all else fails, try using small pieces of leeks. Pearl onions are a standard in classic Coq au Vin. Richard Olney has a spectacular chicken recipe in Simple French Food that is flavored with a pile of steamed leek leaves.​
Also look for fresh pearl onions, not frozen.​
BTW: getting tender pearl onions takes a long cooking time.​
BTW: anyone with an onion allergy can most like eat pearl onions because they are not an onion.​

Taxlady:​
Peal Onions are not onions. They are a member of the leek family. If all else fails, try using small pieces of leeks. Pearl onions are a standard in classic Coq au Vin. Richard Olney has a spectacular chicken recipe in Simple French Food that is flavored with a pile of steamed leek leaves.​
Also look for fresh pearl onions, not frozen.​
BTW: getting tender pearl onions takes a long cooking time.​
BTW: anyone with an onion allergy can most like eat pearl onions because they are not an onion.​

Pearl onions are an allium, species: Allium ampeloprasum var. sectivum or A. ampeloprasum 'Pearl-Onion Group'. Most people who are allergic to onions are allergic to the entire allium group.

Where do you get your information? Yes, they are closely related to leeks, but from personal information, they really don't taste like leeks. Why would I want to substitute pearl onions with leeks anyways? Leeks are more easily found seasonally. Pearl onions are usually easy to find any time of the year. If I can't find frozen, peeled pearl onions and I can't find frozen leeks, what's the point?

Has there been a misunderstanding here?

I have never seen the tiny onions, that I call "pearl onions" or "cocktail onions" in grocery stores that are either not frozen nor pickled. These onions are no bigger than approx 3/8th round and 1/2 tall inches.
I believe they come from a type of globe scallion, which are normally sold with the greens still attached like regular scallions. I honestly don't very often see them this way, perhaps in spring, early summer as seasonal.

Then there are the small onions which are about the size of French Dry Shallots. These are available most everywhere. Bagged as mixed or separate as reds, yellows, whites. I have never seen these frozen or ready peeled.
Often with these you find little bags of cipollini onions as well.

Dragn, what's your size limit for calling a small white or red onion a pearl onion? In inches or centimetres. Are the ones in a jar of Habitant pickled onions pushing the size limit?

Last edited:
We like to grow mostly keeper (keep through winter) onions. Some of them get large and some medium and some small. I store the larges and mediums. I don't like to keep the small ones because they are putzy to peel and cut in winter, when I need more volume of onion.

The small one's I can, pressure can, in water. I used to buy canned pearl onions (canned in water) before I gardened (years and years ago).

This kind.
81iqTarrd6L._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg

I used to use them in a beef wine onion stew.

Georgevan, I simplify my cooking by cooking rice/grains/beans in advance, and freezing. When I shop I buy a variety of produce, then wash and peel if necessary, chop or put them through a slammer chopper for a dice, or the food processor for a shred, bag them up and refrigerate. Now 90% of the time I use to cook is done. I make gravies and sauces and dressing in advance to save time. Whether I bake or saute on the stove or microwave my meals don't take very long to make.

Maybe you could make a list of where your time is spent and you find that it is too much time involved, that you would hire out if you could.

Actally i am trying to simplify my life in many ways and I would like to simplify my eating habits right along with that change in my life. I get tired of recipes with many steps to follow. I would like to know of simple 3 and 4 step recipes that taste good and are healthy. Any suggestions.
Hi, George. Looking back at the last several posts you've made, it seems like you have a lot of herbs and spices in your cabinets that you're not using, and you're not sure how to use them to make your food more flavorful while being pretty quick and easy to prepare. Am I right?

Here's one idea: Look through your herb/spice cabinet and, if you don't already have these seasoning mixes, use your own seasonings to mix them up and put them in glass jars. While you're at it, think about foods you like that are made with those ingredients and note them down. You can add notes to your labels if you want. Here's a list: https://www.tasteofhome.com/collect...easoning-plus-12-more-must-know-spice-blends/

Remember that these seasoning mix recipes are just one person's idea of what they should be. If you don't like a certain ingredient, leave it out. You can leave the mix like that, or add more of what you do like. If you're not sure, put some of the seasoning on a piece of bread and butter, taste and see what you think.

I've found over the years that there are not very many seasonings that really *don't* taste good with a given food. Chicken and rice is a good example. Every culture in the world has a recipe for chicken and rice. The only differences are in seasonings (including cooking fat - that makes a huge difference in the flavor) and cooking methods.

So, to make this easy, let's talk about some ways to make chicken and rice with vegetables and a sauce. I tend to like stovetop recipes because it's easy to taste and add as I go if I want to. So here's a basic procedure.

Start with the rice. Bring 1 cup of water or vegetable stock or chicken stock to a boil. If it's plain water, add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Stir in the rice, bring back to a boil, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until cooked through (set a timer). You can add seasonings and other ingredients if you want - 1 tsp of Italian seasoning or Cajun seasoning or 1/2 tsp each of sage and thyme. Add nuts, seeds or dried fruit.

While the rice is cooking, season boneless skinless chicken thighs with something that will go with the rice flavor - more Italian seasoning, etc.

Heat some cooking oil in a skillet. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 3 minutes per side, and transfer to a plate. Add a half cup of liquid to the pan (water, wine, stock, etc.) and scrape up the stuck-on stuff from the bottom of the pan. That stuff, called fond, is full of flavor.

Let the liquid cook down for a couple minutes, then add two or three cups of cut-up vegetables (can be a frozen mix, or veggies you cut up yourself, and can include a can of diced tomatoes or chickpeas or artichokes, etc.), the chicken, and a cup of stock. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to a simmer and let it cook till the rice is done. Check the temperature of the chicken. If it's not at least 160F, let it cook a little longer. Leave the rice in its pan - it will be fine.

When everything is cooked, serve it up. You can add garnishes like fresh herbs, chopped pickles, peanuts, sesame seeds, chutney or a relish.

This might seem like a lot of steps, but with this basic procedure, you can vary the seasonings, vegetables, beans, and garnishes to make something that tastes different every night. It should take around an hour and you can make extra servings to put in the freezer or to reheat later in the week.

What do you think? Do you have any questions?

Last edited:
Actually i am trying to simplify my life in many ways and I would like to simplify my eating habits right along with that change in my life. I get tired of recipes with many steps to follow. I would like to know of simple 3 and 4 step recipes that taste good and are healthy. Any suggestions.

Simple chicken soup
baked chicken
salad
baked vegetables
corn on a cub
baked potato
fruits
To begin with. Those are basically one step foods.

Back
Top Bottom