Vegemite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
This is one thing I have been curious for many years. Now that I see some Aussie members here I just thought I would pop this question. What exactly is this VEGEMITE? I only know about it from one of the Men at Work songs (Down Under) and sort of understand it is some kind of vegetarian paste. What does it really taste like? What do you use it for?

For any of you who have a "Cost Plus World Market" in your area, they just started carrying vegemite and marmite in the stores!

(PS - I've not tried it yet, but have tried the aussie "Vegemite in a Biskit" crackers that were kindly sent to me by mrsmac....and they were quite tasty!)

Vegemite is a salty paste made from yeast with vitamins and flavorings. Comes in a dark brown jar and is (i think) usually used as a sandwich or toast spread. I have had it once or twice and it's hard to describe the flavor .... salty, earthy ... not bad at all.

Whoa GB thanks for the link, it was quite amusing (and hey I was not the only one who was intrigued by that Men at Work song!!)!! Does it have such a high salt content? Don't you think it would have a counter effect to the claim that says the stuff is loaded with vitamins? Or the sensation of saltiness comes from a different source? But I must say they made it even worse by pouring pimentos and cheeze squeeze... they didn't seem particularly appetizing....

urmaniac13 said:
hey I was not the only one who was intrigued by that Men at Work song!!

But I must say they made it even worse by pouring pimentos and cheeze squeeze... they didn't seem particularly appetizing....

Yeah the pimentoes and cheese idea was pretty gross. I think they were just trying to see how gross they could make it at that point :LOL:

If you remember Men At Work then you should check out Colin Hay's solo stuff. Colin was the lead singer for Men At Work. My wife loves his music and got me into it as well. His solo stuff is much different than his stuff with the group. He is a very funny guy too. His shows consist of him playing acoustic guitar and singing and then telling very funny stories between each song. If you ever get a chance to see him live than don't pass up the opportunity!

all i'm going to say is that i LOVE vegemite, but one must have a very open mind when it comes to strong flavors if they intend to accept vegemite as a likeable food.:-p

Come to think of it, I think I had Marmite and not Vegemite ...

Since they are basically made out of the same thing: yeast, I am wondering what the real difference in their taste is?

And please do not forget the Bovril!

Marmite!!?
13.gif
Whoa, that's a new one... I thought I was fairly familiar with lots of stuff from UK but never heard of this one!! Where did I miss that!!?

urmaniac13 said:
Marmite!!?
13.gif
Whoa, that's a new one... I thought I was fairly familiar with lots of stuff from UK but never heard of this one!! Where did I miss that!!?

(look up on my posting, silly)

Oh, oh, NUTELLA, now we are talking!!
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif

Don't tell me you didn't like it otherwise I won't classify you as a human being!!
4.gif

No its not! (Sorry for shouting!) It's better and is the original! Sheesh, that's the trouble with our British ex-colonies, they take our ideas and change them and then try to claim they invented something!:chef:

Vegemite is a little milder in taste than Marmite. It's a love or hate foodstuff. My family LOVE it! I often have Vegemite in the house, though, cos my sister lives in Oz and she and her children and their partners and their partners sisters, brothers, inlaws etc descend on me at regular intervals!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, oh, calm down Ishbel.... soz, it was just my ignrance... if I will be in the UK again some day I will look for it and give it a try!

Ahh Vegemite, hangover food of KINGS!

Very different in flavour to Marmite despite having the same (un)appealing colour and texture. I find Marmite to be sweeter both in smell and taste. However I havent had it in years, so maybe I've forgotten.

Still alot of Americans/Canadians who come out to study at my uni and live at the same college can be divided up into two groups:

a) those that have tried it and love it
b) those that have tried it and think its the spawn of satan

Heh, gotta love the stuff.

Okay Ishbel and Haggis, I will leave it up to you two to duke it out and decide which one is really superior, Marmite VS Vegemite!!:ROFLMAO:

Well but Ishbel you gotta give a point to Haggis for that decidedly scottish nick!!:-p

Marmite sandwiches with Oros in a juice bottle

White bread sandwichs spread with marg. & marmite and a juice box filled with Oros orange concentrate topped up with water - how many kids in UK, NZ, Australia an South Africa go to school with this standard lunch for 12 years?

I actually like Bovril better. My NZ friend says Marmite is vegetarian but Vegemite (oddly enough) is not.

Sandyj

Back
Top Bottom