Charlie D's Ukrainian Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't worry C/D I got the idea I dont think it will be to critical.
Ps just to cause more confusion a US gallon is less than a UK gallon.:)

lol, in reading through the past few pages, i realized a napolean is certainly not from the ukraine.

maybe you should call it a polotsk, after the great battles to defend st. petersburg.

CD, love your recipes..

but Please Start a new Thread.. this one is Too Long for my small brain to keep track of..

Eric, Austin Tx.

Not sure about new thread. Would be nice if I could make the table contents in the begining of the thread where you could just click on the name of the recipe and it would take you to the right page. Moderators is there any way we could do this? Anybody?

On the separate issue. I made the Napoleon the other day, mostly to check the amounts, and they were all wrong. Here are the correct amounts:

1 – Eggs
1 – cups milk (or non-dairy creamer such as Coffee Rich if milk is a problem/allergy)
2 – Tablespoons flour (
4– Tablespoons sugar
Stick butter (or margarine) - drop the butter all together it is not necessary at all.
1 - tablespoons vanilla
1 package of Pepperidge Farm pastry dough (Puff Pastry) (store bought)

Why don't you start your own threads,

Stuffed Cabbage rolls or Ukranian Borhst..

or something...

man I Love all your wonderful recipes..

but I don't know how to deal with 13 pages of stuff..

You should write a cookbook... also I love your good stories!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Borscht, hot:

Meat about 3 lbs.
Water -3 quarts
Onion finely chopped or diced – 1
Potato diced – 2-3
Carrots grated – 2-3
Beets grated – 1-2 (could be canned, but not pickled)
Cabbage I buy coleslaw salad – 1-2 cups, or great your own.
White beans, I use canned, you can use as much as whole can or about a half would be good.
1 tablespoon of ketchup or tomato sauce for coloring.
Secret ingredient (recipe to fallow). – 2-3 table spoons (I posted this recipe earlier in the thread, but here it is again, so you do not have to look for it.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Start by making good meat broth. Use whatever meat you like. Lately I’ve been using chicken. But pork or beef is definitely great. Short ribs are good. But in my opinion, the best part is cross cut shank meat with marrow bone. The reason for that is broth comes out with a hint of tartness. I do not know why it is. And that is exactly what you want in borscht. If you search for other recipes you’ll find that some of them use lemon juice, some use citric acid, also known as sour salt, or pickled beets, or sauerkraut, and then they have to add sugar to compensate...

Nonsense. All those things will only ruin natural taste of Borscht. If I use beef I cook it for a long time to make sure the meat is extremely soft, and practically melts in your moth so you do not have seat and chew the darn thing for half an hour. While meat is cooking prepare all the vegetables. You can use fresh or canned beets. If using fresh beets they will take an hour or so to cook. I cook the whole thing and then take the beats out, immerse in the cold water, grate and add them back almost at the end of the process.
I do not like onion, so I usually put it in early so it over cooks to the point that you can’t even see it. Adds great flavor. Cook potato, carrots, coleslaw, beans. Should take about half an hour or less.

Some people will tell you that I do not know what I’m doing or talking about. The true purists of an authentic Ukrainian Borscht will sauté their beets, onion and carrots in some fried pork fat, yum. Very unhealthy, I do not do it anymore.
So, I do not worry about them people anymore. Taste of my Borscht is very refine.

Now the secret ingredient. Indeed some people will add the same ingredients separately but I make this special concoction (I do not know what to call it in English, so please help me out somebody here). In fact I use it for many soups and other dishes, especially when I make spaghetti sauce.

Here it is:

10 sweet red bell peppers (any color is good, but not green)
10 hot peppers or go by weight use same amount (it could be any hot peppers you like, depending on how hot you like your food)
2-3 average parsnip roots or if you can get hold of parsley root; it is even better, use 4-6 of them as they usually much smaller.
3-4 heads of garlic
2 table spoons of salt (works as preservative)

Cut, remove seeds, wash, put everything thru meat grinder or, if using food processor make sure not to chop very fine.

Right now is a perfect time to make this mixture. There are so many fresh veggies, I make the whole recipe put in couple of jars and keep it in refrigerator for up to 6 month. It actually never last that long I use it up faster. You can scale the recipe down.

When Borscht is nearly ready add couple spoons of the mixture. Taste and re-season to taste. Hm, that sounds funny; probably I am spelling something wrong.

Serve hot with a spoon of sour cream and hearty bread. Russian will have a clove of garlic seating right next to the plate and they will keep bighting into it. Not sure about taste but very healthy.

Last edited:
Hello CharlieD, you may remember that I have two of your borscht recipes - yes very refined. By all means throw in some bones so the marrow can come out into the broth. Sometimes I have been known to make a double broth - make a broth as shown, cook all the good out of the meat and bones and then use that broth to make the broth to be used in the borscht. The meat can go into a salad or something where a taste is added back to the meat.

One thing I've not done is to make your magic concoction. CharlieD's Magic Borscht Concoction. I will be sure to buy all the necessary ingredients tomorrow. It's borscht time in Ohio!! Thanks for reposting and reminding.

Me too Charlie, except for one recipe I have from L'viv. It's made with lima beans and no meat for a really good change. To me it's light and refreshing. For normal borscht with meat I like it so thick the wooden spoon stands up in the pot. Cheers!

Well here is another Non-Ukranin recipe, I just wanted to add to my thread:

Honey cake:

Traditionally this cake is served on Rosh Hashana (New Year) and day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) symbolic of our wishes for a sweet year.

Also it is believed that one should be asking for a piece of Honey cake day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). If one to become so poor, during the next year that one is forced to ask for food, then this asking for honey cake will avert the need for that hypothetical asking/begin.

My aunts’ recipe:

1.5 cup honey
2 cup milk (or non-dairy substitute, like coffee creamer works as well)
2 cup sugar
1 stick margarine

All of the above ingredients put in the pot and slowly bring the heat up stirring up until margarine melts and mixture becomes smooth. Doesn’t have to boil, just melt and mix together. Let it cool down a little bit so the dough doesn’t start cooking when this mixture is added.

I use food processor mix:

8 eggs
1.5 cup oil (I use corn or vegetable oil)
5 to 6 cups flour
2 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp ground clove
2 tsp baking powder

You can add raisins or craraisins, or even chocolate chips.
Some people add nuts, however nuts are traditionally not used during this particular time of the year, though can be added if cake is made some other time.

Mix all ingredients well, pour it into several loaf pans depends on the size. Bake at 300-325 degrees for about an hour. Do not over bake so it doesn’t become to dry.

Got the stew Charlie. Thanks. Seems like the real trick is in cooking the meat just so. I'll let you know how it works out. My portion will be small in a smaller dutch oven, but enough for the family.

Enjoy. When meat is ready add the fried/cooked deruny on the top, cover it. Turn the heat down and let it seat for an hour or so. Serve. eat. Enjoy. When I was a kid I would not tough them. Now I love it. It is toatal yum.

Got it! I wasn't sure about adding the deruni. Easy enough. Cook them and add then and let them sit and gently simmer to soak up plenty of goodness. Thanks

Can somebody explain this thing to me? when i search for the recipe of my smetannik, up above, the link comes back with answer to be found on the page 6 of this thread, but there only 4 pages here now. What is going on? Where did the rest of the pages go?

Charlie, each member can adjust the number of posts appear on a page. I think the maximum is 40 posts to a page but if you choose 20 posts per page, there will be more pages.

Click on User CP
Click on Edit Options
scroll down to Thread Display Options
Select your choice
Click on Save Changes

Back
Top Bottom