In the Category of What the Heck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While most of these "what the heck" items are head scratchers and sound wasteful to most of us, some of them are really useful to people with various disabilities.

This is an example of what has become an all too common shameful and predatory business model.
Careers should be ruined by the public ridicule it provokes.
If that's supposed to be a link, it isn't. I googled that "title" and came up empty-handed. Whether I agreed with it or not, I bet it would have made an interesting read.

Nice job of underlining, though. ;)

If that's supposed to be a link, it isn't. I googled that "title" and came up empty-handed. Whether I agreed with it or not, I bet it would have made an interesting read.

Nice job of underlining, though. ;)

I'm sorry for the confusion. The bold and underlined type was meant for emphasis only. Looked at the post in preview mode and wondered if it would be mistaken for a link. Should have changed it then.
Edited to add: I approve of the red font though.

Last edited:
Duck confit is the only one I can think of. Duck fat makes amazing fried potatoes, though :yum:

Duck fat is really good for frying. It is NOT heart healthy, and probably not healthy in any way, but it is good. Absolutely, duck fat makes amazing fried potatoes.

CD

Hmm..

Ooh GG, I've never had Duck Fat Fried Potatoes before,
I may need to try that, but with that jar of fat,
not the spray can :LOL:

At $1 an ounce, even the jar hits the list of stuff I'll never buy.

But I do like my fried potatoes.
The next time I see duck for sale, whole or pieces, I'll think about it.

And it may be of interest only to me but the price of that 12 oz jar will get you at least 3 pounds of these:
DuckFeet2.jpg

At $1 an ounce, even the jar hits the list of stuff I'll never buy.

But I do like my fried potatoes.
The next time I see duck for sale, whole or pieces, I'll think about it.

And it may be of interest only to me but the price of that 12 oz jar will get you at least 3 pounds of these:
I was looking for something else in Kroger a couple weeks ago and found duck breasts in the freezer section. I didn't know they carried duck. You might try there.

I was looking for something else in Kroger a couple weeks ago and found duck breasts in the freezer section. I didn't know they carried duck. You might try there.

I saw that too GG, but I just haven't worked up the nerve to buy one and then attempt to cook one myself. I adore Duck!!! You hardly see it on menus, other than at a Chinese Restaurant, and we avoid those here in cowboyville at all cost!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

K-girl, it's pretty easy.

Salt & pepper, then place skin side down in a COLD pan. Put it over a relatively low heat for about 10 minutes, until the fat is rendered, and the skin is brown & crisp.
Turn it over and cook on the other side until it's the doneness you like. (about 5 minutes for mid-rare)

Usually sauces for the duck (like orange, cherry, wine, etc) are done separately, because of the grease, but if you drain all of the fat, you can deglaze and make a sauce right in the pan.

Save that duck fat!

Salt & pepper, then place skin side down in a COLD pan. Put it over a relatively low heat for about 10 minutes, until the fat is rendered, and the skin is brown & crisp.
Turn it over and cook on the other side until it's the doneness you like. (about 5 minutes for mid-rare)

Usually sauces for the duck (like orange, cherry, wine, etc) are done separately, because of the grease, but if you drain all of the fat, you can deglaze and make a sauce right in the pan.

Save that duck fat!

:yum: ah, yum!
Thanks for that!! I'm gonna do it and make sure that I something else for DH that night, he doesn't care for Duck :shrug:
Oh my, a terrible pun just came to mind,
that was very SAGE advise there Silver :LOL:

What the duck?

Silversage said:

Save that duck fat!

Kaneohegirlinaz said:
ah, yum!
Thanks for that!! I'm gonna do it and make sure that I something else for DH that night, he doesn't care for Duck :shrug:
Oh my, a terrible pun just came to mind,
that was very SAGE advise there Silver
Thanks for that advice Silversage. To be clear, you're doing this on the stovetop, not the oven. Right?

From what I can find, domestic duck breast, minus the skin, is even leaner than chicken breast. There are a couple of grams of fat in the skin for each ounce of breast meat though. I think I'll try a breast too but don't expect to have too much fat leftover.

First, think I'll go duck shopping at the Great China Food Market - Grocery Store. Never been there without being pleasantly surprised.

Somebody ought to start a new thread.

Thanks for that advice Silversage. To be clear, you're doing this on the stovetop, not the oven. Right?

From what I can find, domestic duck breast, minus the skin, is even leaner than chicken breast. There are a couple of grams of fat in the skin for each ounce of breast meat though. I think I'll try a breast too but don't expect to have too much fat leftover.

First, think I'll go duck shopping at the Great China Food Market - Grocery Store. Never been there without being pleasantly surprised.

Somebody ought to start a new thread.
Yes, it's on the stovetop in a skillet. Also, score the skin so the fat can render more easily.

The last time I made duck breasts (two), I got about a cup of fat.

Some Kroger stores carry it, and others don't. I live between two Krogers, one of them is a Kroger Marketplace store. It is huge, and they have duck in stock.

That Kroger actually has a fine jewelry department where you can pick up a diamond engagement ring while you are doing your grocery shopping. I'm not kidding.

CD

Last edited:
Some Kroger stores carry it, and others don't. I live between two Krogers, one of them is a Kroger Marketplace store. It is huge, and they have duck in stock.

That Kroger actually has a fine jewelry department where you can pick up a diamond engagement ring while you are doing your grocery shopping. I'm not kidding.

CD
The Kroger near me is a Kroger Marketplace and yes, they have a fine jewelry store. They also have a little cafe where you can eat ready-to-eat foods from the deli area, a stir-fry station and a bar. Yes, you can sit down and try flights of beer or a glass of wine in the grocery store. Very snazzy [emoji38]

The Kroger near me is a Kroger Marketplace and yes, they have a fine jewelry store. They also have a little cafe where you can eat ready-to-eat foods from the deli area, a stir-fry station and a bar. Yes, you can sit down and try flights of beer or a glass of wine in the grocery store. Very snazzy [emoji38]

Not gonna' happen here in the buckle of the Bible Belt. :(

Grocery stores can sell beer and wine (not spirits), but consumption on the premises is illegal. Below is a sign you will see on every store that sells beer and wine.

CD

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 10.08.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 10.08.45 PM.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 124
Back
Top Bottom