It's Time To Cut The Cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure that I understand the "live rather than streaming after the fact" comment. Hulu, Philo, and Fubo all have live TV. Also, I don't understand the appeal of watching something live. I always watch recorded because I want to be able to skip the commercials. Even the Super Bowl, I'll start watching the game 2 hours after it starts and catch up. Yes, you do have to be careful to not look at your phone while watching the game to avoid knowing the score.

YTTV allows 6 accounts, each with their own DVR but only 3 simultaneous streams.

YTTV offered more live channels I was interested in. Some services don't have all channels available live - that is, you can watch it at the same time it's broadcast.

I prefer watching sports live, including the Super Bowl. I've tried watching recorded games but it's not as enjoyable for me. Glad you have a process that works for you.

I have been thinking about cutting the satellite dish off for a few years now. I have directv.
I think I understand the comment above by Andy. He is correct about "live" TV.
For example Mountain Men comes on on a certain night at a certain time. I am not sure I can see this show at that time and on that night.
I too record lots of shows and watch later.
But I am still having a problem letting go of what I have become used to for many years.
One thing that will make it easier is that Directv now AT&T. The lack of customer service and there is no longer any attempt customer retention.

I called about a discount on the NFL Sunday Ticket last month and there was no apparent attempt by them to keep me as a customer. They gladly obliged my request to cancel the "Ticket", ($300 each season) even with my comments of leaving them altogether for internet TV.
It was as if they wanted me to cancel and did not care. They have never been like this before. They always gave discounts and did everything they could to keep me happy. I have been with them for more than 20 years!
They are no longer working with customers and clearly have lost all of their retention practices..
I understand AT&T is trying to dump the TV part of their holdings at a low cost.
Loss of customers does this for them.

I have been thinking about cutting the satellite dish off for a few years now. I have directv.
I think I understand the comment above by Andy. He is correct about "live" TV.
For example Mountain Men comes on on a certain night at a certain time. I am not sure I can see this show at that time and on that night.
I too record lots of shows and watch later.
But I am still having a problem letting go of what I have become used to for many years.
One thing that will make it easier is that Directv now AT&T. The lack of customer service and there is no longer any attempt customer retention.

I called about a discount on the NFL Sunday Ticket last month and there was no apparent attempt by them to keep me as a customer. They gladly obliged my request to cancel the "Ticket", ($300 each season) even with my comments of leaving them altogether for internet TV.
It was as if they wanted me to cancel and did not care. They have never been like this before. They always gave discounts and did everything they could to keep me happy. I have been with them for more than 20 years!
They are no longer working with customers and clearly have lost all of their retention practices..
I understand AT&T is trying to dump the TV part of their holdings at a low cost.
Loss of customers does this for them.

I have read a couple of articles recently about this. The cable companies aren't trying to keep customers who want to cut the cord anymore because they cannot compete.

When I called my cable company (Comcast) they half-heartedly offered me a deal that was twice the price of cutting the cord. I refused it and that was it.

It is hard to let go of what you've been used to for so long.

Not sure what the NFL Sunday Ticket includes. That option may not be available to you with a different service. You'll have to do some checking.

NFL Sunday Ticket is only available via DirecTV.

AT&T now owes DirecTV and it is no secret they are trying to kill it off. Streaming is changing the landscape. Content providers no longer need to provide access as well, though AT&T is still stuck in that mindset with their new service since you need their box (yay?!?!).

The contract for Sunday Ticket expires soonish, after the 2022 season I think. I expect it to be a hot commodity and either move to the new AT&T service or Amazon. Once we are there I will likely look at the landscape and see where we want to be. I did a cost comparison and I can't really save money with streaming if I still want the ticket, and I do.

I have read a couple of articles recently about this. The cable companies aren't trying to keep customers who want to cut the cord anymore because they cannot compete.

When I called my cable company (Comcast) they half-heartedly offered me a deal that was twice the price of cutting the cord. I refused it and that was it.

It is hard to let go of what you've been used to for so long.

Not sure what the NFL Sunday Ticket includes. That option may not be available to you with a different service. You'll have to do some checking.

I was a bit shocked when I hung up the phone with Directv. I hung up with the Sunday Ticket cancelled. That has never happened before.

Of course this is temporary as I can restart it any time I want.
I could not see starting to pay for something that might be shortened or even cancelled due to the virus.

NFL Sunday Ticket is only available via DirecTV.

AT&T now owes DirecTV and it is no secret they are trying to kill it off. Streaming is changing the landscape. Content providers no longer need to provide access as well, though AT&T is still stuck in that mindset with their new service since you need their box (yay?!?!).

The contract for Sunday Ticket expires soonish, after the 2022 season I think. I expect it to be a hot commodity and either move to the new AT&T service or Amazon. Once we are there I will likely look at the landscape and see where we want to be. I did a cost comparison and I can't really save money with streaming if I still want the ticket, and I do.

Same here Frank. Sunday Ticket subscriber since the inception. I had an old analog dish for games before Directv.
I hope the NFL and someone hook up and make this Ticket more affordable and available in other formats.

Like you I want and even need to watch my team each year. My team is not local and the only way to get my team each Sunday is with the ticket.
However, there is talk of Saturday and even Friday NFL games.
Should this become a reality, it is very likely I will get to see my team on local TV. They were the local team before Atlanta got good and Carolina got a franchise.

Rollbones, not sure who your team is but I think you should be able to catch their games by streaming CBS, ESPN, Fox.

Is your team way out of your viewing area?

Quick update.

We've been using this setup for a while now. The basic plan from Roku includes lots of free content. One it is Serious Eats TV. So cool. I learned and tried a new way to shape my bagels!

Navigating around the channels and services is not as slick as Comcast cable but it works.

Watching Startalk episodes and starting to feel stupid after listening to Neil deGrass Tyson!

We love the National Geographic documentary episodes exploring wildlife in various parts of the world.

We watched Hamilton twice. The second time with closed captioning so I could follow the dialog better.

We have a handful of pay subscriptions on our Roku. Honestly though, I watch YouTube the most.

Watching it on the 60 inch plasma is a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom