Thanks Button?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am chuckling a bit. I am one of the competitive ones with the old karma points. My husband and I had a running gag with each other competing for points. It was super fun and so many of the crew that were here at the time played along. We were never terribly serious about it, but it made us laugh every day.

Will I get a Like button? :rolleyes:
:LOL:

Actually do I think my next laptop will be an Apple. This is the second one (Dell) that gets a bit hinky at times. Their laptops seem to have inherent problems with both the keyboard and the touchpad.

Pac, nothing to do with Thanks, but I cannot STAND a touchpad. I have to have a mouse. I have a few to plug in and always carried them with me. And my previous work techies refused to use a touchpad as well.

I'm not overly fond of the touchpad, but I use it all the time. I don't get an inflamed wrist nearly as often with the touchpad as with the mouse.

I'd inflame my wrist by bashing my laptop. Paragraphs would disappear from me doing nothing but typing. I'd have to redo entire reports. My supervisor said the same thing would happen to her too. We'd both watch as I typed something and it would disappear.

Usually you can just have the touchpad turn off while typing.

New laptop, touchpad is horrible... though I think I almost have it tamed.

Glad to see this has turned into a discussion.
Let me be clear about my intentions as it seems there are a few that seem to already possess this information. RE: California comments.

1) My goal was not to change anything, but to possibly improve what we already have.
2) Yes, I am using other forum controls as the example as they seem to be much better than the system we use here.
3) A true one click thanks/like button would be simpler, faster and frankly for me, more comfortable.
I think thanks should be public and I think no reason is needed for the thanks or like.

I know I am new around here, but I do have ideas and thoughts just like everyone else does.
I am wondering how this might have played out, had a seasoned member suggested this. Something tells me it might have been more positively received? Just my gut impression.
Since we have not heard from any site management, I will assume this is the case and no further posting on this subject is required, needed or wanted.
In fact this has already been suggested in earlier comments.

...I am wondering how this might have played out, had a seasoned member suggested this. Something tells me it might have been more positively received? Just my gut impression...

Several 'seasoned members' have agreed with your suggestion. I don't think your tenure here has anything at all to do with how this suggestion was received.

Several 'seasoned members' have agreed with your suggestion. I don't think your tenure here has anything at all to do with how this suggestion was received.

Perhaps. But the suggestion has eluded the staff completely and there has to be a reason.

My goal was not to change anything, but to possibly improve what we already have.
An improvement to what we already have IS a change. That is a definition of change.

When I was an Administrator here and we were implementing the kamra, and then later the thanks system, there was a LOT of discussion behind the scenes about it. Andy and Alix will remember this I am sure. We discussed it for weeks if not longer. There is no simple answer. Everyone likes different things and you are never going to find a system that satisfies every single person.

Just because the staff has not responded does not mean this has eluded them. Of course it does not mean that they are discussing it either.

As Andy said, tenure has nothing to do with anything. Every member here equal from the moment they sign up. One person does not have more of a say than any other.

An improvement to what we already have IS a change. That is a definition of change.

When I was an Administrator here and we were implementing the kamra, and then later the thanks system, there was a LOT of discussion behind the scenes about it. Andy and Alix will remember this I am sure. We discussed it for weeks if not longer. There is no simple answer. Everyone likes different things and you are never going to find a system that satisfies every single person.

Just because the staff has not responded does not mean this has eluded them. Of course it does not mean that they are discussing it either.

As Andy said, tenure has nothing to do with anything. Every member here equal from the moment they sign up. One person does not have more of a say than any other.

You are right GB, it is change. My words in text, do not always fulfill my true meaning. I hope you do understand what I meant to say?
I really did not want to "ruffle any feathers" as they say.

And as they say in Animal Farm, some members are more equal than others ;)

...The staff could arrange it so there are no points involved.
Personally I can see no reason not to have this feature?
Do you or someone you know write computer code? Adding a "like" button isn't like pasting an image onto a page and attaching it like a photo. Computer instructions have to be written, then made to fit into the existing programming code in such a way that it doesn't blow up the entire system. And in the sample you linked to at another forum that has that feature also shows the names of people who "liked" the post...another instruction necessary for it to work...and more code to write. It's a lot of work!

R_B, do you have kids? If so, did you ever read to them a book called "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie..."? "If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw. When he's finished, he'll ask you for a napkin..." And on and on...for pages. Writing code for that "one small change" is like that. Besides, if they end up getting it wrong it can crash the entire forum. I seriously doubt you want to do THAT, right?

Cooking Goddess. The code has already been written. The forum software we use has page after page of options that can be turned on or off or configured in a million different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom