Caloric Stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
So last night we had a visit from the city fire department. Joy.

Kathleen made stuffed peppers (they were fantastic) and about an hour later the CO detector goes off. The alarm people call the FD and they dispatch a truck (lights blazing, sirens howling). Our stove is now turned off with an orange tag on it that says we can't use it. At least there was a cut off on the stove itself, if not they would have shut off the gas to the house.

Its times like these that makes me wonder why no one can make something that lasts. The stove is only 60 years old. Now we might have to replace it? Crikey. :LOL:

Of course no one makes a stove that will fit properly, well, no one that has anything reasonable price wise. The stove is 42 inches wide and the kitchen was obviously laid out around it. This is going to be fun.

I wonder if it would be cheaper and effective to have the burners and/or the lines and regulator replaced? Perhaps someone from the gas company can give you advice on this. Of course, they will likely have more interest in selling you a new stove.

Our neighbor had a CO issue a couple of weeks ago. It was her gas water heater. After examination by a host of experts, the conclusion was there was no problem with the equipment, no blockages in the vents, it was just heavy humid air that prevented the CO from escaping up the flue.

It might be worth having the vents checked for blockages before dumping that practically new stove.

You know how things are these days, just use it a couple times then throw it away.

We had some service done a few years ago, and it was tough finding anyone that wanted to work on such a.. classic... stove. :)

Well, you've got a 42" space. You can go down in size to 30" or 36" or up to 48" I see a 6-burner range with a griddle/grill pan in the middle and two ovens.

We have been through numerous iterations on what to do with the space. The stove has storage and we don't want to loose that space.

Kathleen is talking about remodeling half the kitchen at this point, which isn't bad but it isn't gonna be cheap.

A 30" stove means an awkward 17" gap, a 36" means an awkward 11" gap. The kitchen was designed to house this stove just so.

I have someone coming to look at it. Hopefully they are more interested in making it work right than throwing their hands in the air and complaining.

Hmmmm?! From a designer/decorator's point of view, if you do have to replace the stove and there's a gap, you could convert the narrow space into vertical storage for cookie sheets, pizza pans, cooling racks, etc. They could be stored on end since they're always a pain in the butt to store anyway.

Though I agree the price in a kitchen remodel is expensive.. even a cosmetic remodel can do magic and is cheaper - A great idea from Katie to convert the extra space into a cookie sheet / pan storage, I Have one and it beats having to keep those large items under the sink with the chemicals lol.

I don't believe I've heard of a Caloric stove :huh:
How much wood did it go through each year, Frank?

:angel:

Cool! A 1950's stove? What's the make/model?

How about going for this instead of the KitchenAid...

Aga Store: 44" Legacy Dual Fuel Range

Oh wait it is 44" wide... silly me. :LOL:

I got me a crowbar.. I can wedge it in.

Looks like a nice one.

I don't believe I've heard of a Caloric stove :huh:
How much wood did it go through each year, Frank?

:angel:

Just cause yer using those new fangled stoves with yer dials and self starting don't be talkin bad about the Caloric. :LOL:

SO works for a family that has an AGA stove. It's needed a part since October - still waiting.

We went to Lowe's tonight to look at the KA Stove/range. It was okay. It is NOT my beloved Caloric. Frank had someone come visit for about $80 to tell us that he could not do anything for the stove. I suppose that we could get a new stove....with new cabinets, new back splash....counter tops would be needed....may as well get rid of the ugly flooring too.

Or...maybe....we could find parts for the Caloric and refurbish it. On the plus side, the electrical parts work perfectly. The rest....just shelves and screws...a few tubes...

The stove is really awesome. And it does fit that spot perfectly. Has anyone ever tried to refurbish a stove? Seriously, after hearing about the guy who showed up here, I think we could do better....

Here is a picture of a stove like mine. The bar along the back in the top is a light that casts a magical light in my kitchen....

I really want to keep my stove....

Too big, PF...and too new, SLofB.

I *really* like the current stove....when it is working. :ermm:

I know, I had an old one like that in the rental in Hamilton, MT...it was great...then Someone decided she had to go to nursing school in Missoula:rolleyes:

But, your needing a new or used/different stove lets me break out my daydreams.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom