Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whenever we're on a trip, Himself likes browsing in a Kitchen Collection store. Odd, since he isn't a shopper or a cook. Seems like they are only in touristy areas anyway, so I guess this is just one thing he does to be nice to me. I picked up a couple little trinkets. He kept asking me if I was sure I didn't want a KitchenAid stand mixer. :huh: I kept reminding him that my Mom's old Oster still worked perfectly fine...

Anyway, the butterfly works perfectly on my Staub pots, since the lid handles are metal and get hot when the pot is on the stove. The kitty magnet/chip clips are super-strong - I have one on our bag of coffee right now. I'll be building up my finger muscles using those to clip bags shut! And I know that Kayelle has mentioned her spiky mat for baking chicken wings - so I had to pick one up. I'll happily accept any other suggestions you all have for uses for that mat - and thank you.

Attachments

• 20171115_142552.jpg
    20171115_142552.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 164
Whenever we're on a trip, Himself likes browsing in a Kitchen Collection store. Odd, since he isn't a shopper or a cook. Seems like they are only in touristy areas anyway, so I guess this is just one thing he does to be nice to me.
There is a Kitchen Collection across the river in Kittery, ME, but it is a relatively small store with mostly cheap merchandise (not to mention Maine sales tax). https://www.kitchenandcompany.com/ is a much better store - much larger with better quality merchandise at reasonable prices. There is a store just a few miles away from me, and a few stores over from Trader Joe's :). You might want to stop in if you are traveling near one.

But it's the inexpensive kitchen trinkets that make the store browse-able, ten! I usually find one or two little things that work great, and walk out of the store spending less than $10. I think what surprised Himself was that this was the first time he noticed (and then realized) that you can buy refurbished kitchen appliances. :huh: This from a guy who doesn't think twice about purchasing refurbished electronics.

Whenever we're on a trip, Himself likes browsing in a Kitchen Collection store. Odd, since he isn't a shopper or a cook. Seems like they are only in touristy areas anyway, so I guess this is just one thing he does to be nice to me. I picked up a couple little trinkets. He kept asking me if I was sure I didn't want a KitchenAid stand mixer. :huh: I kept reminding him that my Mom's old Oster still worked perfectly fine...

Anyway, the butterfly works perfectly on my Staub pots, since the lid handles are metal and get hot when the pot is on the stove. The kitty magnet/chip clips are super-strong - I have one on our bag of coffee right now. I'll be building up my finger muscles using those to clip bags shut! And I know that Kayelle has mentioned her spiky mat for baking chicken wings - so I had to pick one up. I'll happily accept any other suggestions you all have for uses for that mat - and thank you.

Those are some real finds there CG!

What about frozen pizza?
I'm athinkin' that it may give you a better bottom crust.
Howz'about reheating baked goods in the oven on that beauty?

We don't have any kitchen stores here in cowboyville,
so I'm able go browsing unless we go into the city.

Picked up a CI Plancha Griddle for my BGE. I'll have to wait till I'm not working my second job to give it a spin. That should give me lots of time to think of what to make first.:ohmy:

But it's the inexpensive kitchen trinkets that make the store browse-able, ten! I usually find one or two little things that work great, and walk out of the store spending less than $10. I think what surprised Himself was that this was the first time he noticed (and then realized) that you can buy refurbished kitchen appliances. :huh: This from a guy who doesn't think twice about purchasing refurbished electronics.

There is a Kitchen Collection Outlet Store in the Outlet Mall near me. I didn't realize it was a chain. It is mostly inexpensive gadgets and cookware, as I recall. I haven't been there in several years. It is fun to wander around in. I don't recall if I ever bought anything there.

CD

Merry Christmas to me,
Merry Christmas to me ...

001.jpg

Mom and I went Christmas shopping and y'know,
I've got a nose for any sort of Kitchen Store!! :santa:

I've been on the hunt for a nice, thick Bamboo
Cutting Board, BINGO!!
Also, my larger Cookie Scoop bit the dust;

Hawaii May 2012 212.jpg

I've been looking for a Can Strainer for our
Coral Brand Tuna in oil, much more hum-bug to
drain off than water packed :glare:

I'm looking forward to trying out that Silicone Baking Mat
you guys were talking about too!!

And that tiny whisk is wonderful for small jobs! I have 3 :chef:

I, for one, have been enjoying getting re-acquainted with high-end clad stainless steel cookware (all Clad, Made-In). I think I had gone a bit overboard on the cast iron and carbon steel stuff.

Funny, SP, I just bought myself a couple of Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pans for xmas -- I've been a good boy, in my own opinion.

I have seasoned them, and cooked some bacon in them as a a first cook. After the holidays, I plan to play with them. I got them in the interest of trying something new and different. I may love them, or may hate them, or something in between. I'll probably find that they are great for some things, but not as good as other cookware for other things. That seems to be what I find with all types of cookware.

CD

Craig came home with some out of towners so they wouldn't be lonely over the holidays.

Attachments

• 20171222_181259.jpg
    20171222_181259.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 2017-12-22 18.34.49.jpg
    2017-12-22 18.34.49.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 164
I, for one, have been enjoying getting re-acquainted with high-end clad stainless steel cookware (all Clad, Made-In). I think I had gone a bit overboard on the cast iron and carbon steel stuff.

I almost bought an All-Clad d5 Rondeau, but I just can't trust stainless steel. And All-Clad, even the d5 line, has it's share of naysayers. People seems to love Demeyere, but the Demeyere Proline does not have the rondeau. Decisions, decisions.

The good thing about All-Clad is it's cheap right now, a 6 qt rondeau is going for $145 on Amazon.

...but I just can't trust stainless steel. And All-Clad, even the d5 line, has it's share of naysayers...

Your comments are interesting. I've always had excellent results with All-Clad and other SS clad cookware. Why can't you trust SS? What are the naysayers saying?

When I get to Missouri, my first kitchen buy will be an instant pot. I see a number of brands available. I'm not interested in the "latest and best". I can't see spending $200 to $400 to make everyday meals for 2 or 4 people..

Any wisdom to share??.. :)

Ross

Last edited:
When I get to Missouri, my first kitchen buy will be an instant pot. I see a number of brands available. I'm not interested in the "latest and best". I can't see spending $200 to $400 to make everyday meals for 2 or 4 people..

Any wisdom to share??.. [emoji2]

Ross

Instant Pot is a brand name of a multicooker. I bought mine two years ago for $105. The regular price is $129, but it goes on sale occasionally. I have the six-quart model and it works great for the two of us. You can definitely make dinner for four in it.

Mine has a yogurt setting; I have not used it for that, but msmofet has and she likes it very much. She's posted several recipes here for dishes done in the IP.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Any wisdom to share??.. :)

Ross

Keep an eye out for IP sales on Amazon. I got my 6 qt. Instant Pot for around $70, along with free Prime delivery.

Thank you, tenspeed... Kenji is, usually spot on... :)

Thank you, GG. I should have used the more generic term for Instant Pot. It appears that a 6qt should work for us.. :)

Thank you, Dawgluver.. For some reason I've gotten away from using Amazon.. I'll have to revisit them... :)

Ross

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom