Looking for Virginia Peanut & Chestnut Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
This past weekend we went to visit my daughter just outside of Baltimore. The next day she had plans so we decided to make plans and we visited Washington's home in Mount Vernon, VA.

We did not stay to eat there, as we had to hit the road to get back to NY ( which was a real treat), but I was just looking at the menu of the Mount Vernon Inn, a restuarant which the recommend on their site, and I came across the Virginia Peanut & Chestnut Soup. The name intrigued me, as I've never had it, let alone heard of it. Just wondering if any of you fine folks have either ever tried it or something similar? And if so, if you have a recipe laying around?

In addition to that, my wife and I love visiting historic homes like this , In addition to Washingtons home, we've also visited Theodore Roosevelt's home ( Sagamore Hill, in NY), Jefferson's home ( Monticello in VA), Jackson's home ( Outside of Nashville), The Vanderbuilt houses ( NY, RI) and many other of the Newport RI Mansions, among others. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions of homes we can visit that are rich in history , architecture and landscape. The closer to the North East , the better, but hey , Ive driven to Monana, Mississippi, Atlanta, Memphis so as long as its not Hawaii or Alaska , it has a shot :LOL: (Biltmore in NC is on our to do list, possibly next year). I also love houses of people who have invented things ( Edison, Jefferson ...really cool)

Anyway, recap:
1) Virginia Peanut & Chestnut Soup Recipe
2) Historic houses , rich in history , architecture and landscape to visit (NE is best, but lower 48 is doable)

Thanks

Hi, Larry. I haven't had that soup with chestnuts, but I've had Virginia peanut soup in a tavern at Colonial Williamsburg and at a traditional Colonial dinner at Smithfield Station in Suffolk, VA. Here's the recipe from Colonial Williamsburg: https://www.history.org/Almanack/life/food/fdpnutsp.cfm

Speaking of which, if you haven't been there, it's definitely worth a trip. Much of the village has been restored to the way it was in the 18th century, with Colonial-era interpreters portraying Colonials and slaves. A day ticket gets you access to several homes as well as public buildings like the courthouse, shops and a market. They have lots of special events throughout the year. www.history.org

A few other historic places I've been:
- Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio,Oak Park, IL, just outside Chicago
- Greenfield Village, the Henry Ford museum, in Dearborn, MI
- the Bellamy Mansion Museum, Wilmington, NC

Hi, Larry. I haven't had that soup with chestnuts, but I've had Virginia peanut soup in a tavern at Colonial Williamsburg and at a traditional Colonial dinner at Smithfield Station in Suffolk, VA. Here's the recipe from Colonial Williamsburg: https://www.history.org/Almanack/life/food/fdpnutsp.cfm

Speaking of which, if you haven't been there, it's definitely worth a trip. Much of the village has been restored to the way it was in the 18th century, with Colonial-era interpreters portraying Colonials and slaves. A day ticket gets you access to several homes as well as public buildings like the courthouse, shops and a market. They have lots of special events throughout the year. www.history.org

A few other historic places I've been:
- Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio,Oak Park, IL, just outside Chicago
- Greenfield Village, the Henry Ford museum, in Dearborn, MI
- the Bellamy Mansion Museum, Wilmington, NC

Been to Colonial Williamsburg probably close to 25 years ago. Definitely worth a revisit. I love visiting homes/ villages that take you back in time ( did Plimouth Plantation, Old Sturbridge ( both in Mass). A more local one here own LI. My wife wants to learn how to use a loom, and the Old Surbridge gives lessons.

I did Frank Lloyd Wrights Fallingwater a few years back ( outside of Pittsburgh. I cant believe I forgot to list that, that place was amazing).

Actually going to be up in Michigan for Business in a few weeks , if time allows me, Ill try and get to the Henry Ford Museum. Actually just checked my google maps and its flagged as a place I want to go :LOL: )

Ill definitely put the rest on my list of places to see.

Was the Peanut soup worth tasting/ attempting to make? or was it more of a ' mmm, interesting'. then file it under been there done that ?

...My wife wants to learn how to use a loom, and the Old Surbridge gives lessons...
She doesn't have to go to OSV (unless you're trying to get rid of her for a day or so...); there are places in LI that offer classes:
Long Island Weaving Loom Classes

...Was the Peanut soup worth tasting/ attempting to make? or was it more of a ' mmm, interesting'. then file it under been there done that ?
We had peanut soup at a little restored tavern somewhere in VA decades ago. I remember that my Mom and Himself both loved it. I thought it was OK; my Dad didn't have any. I know that Himself has ordered it since then when we've traveled through the south and stopped to eat at a place that offered it. I might be nice to him and make some for Thanksgiving this year.
King's Arm Tavern Peanut Soup Recipe

As far as historic houses and restored villages, I have two suggestions. If you liked Monticello, you might love Poplar Forest, Jefferson's "Summer Home". It's like a little Monticello, but so much more personal than his big house near the capital. You can almost feel his presence when you visit there. We stumbled upon it on a trip back from FL. The preservation group had acquired it just a few years earlier and we got to see it early on in its restoration, then later when they had more work done - and more to come. They've made much progress since our last visit; I hope we can stop again when we head back north from FL this year.

Also, south of Cleveland is a recreated village called "Jonathan Hale Farm and Village". We haven't been there for ages, but I always enjoyed it when we were there. It's a bargain, too, at only $10 admission.

Love LOVE Williamsburg. Himself and I have been there at least half a dozen times, and my SIL and I were there once on a "girls' week". I want to go back again, but I think Himself has tired of it.

She doesn't have to go to OSV (unless you're trying to get rid of her for a day or so...); there are places in LI that offer classes:
Long Island Weaving Loom Classes

We had peanut soup at a little restored tavern somewhere in VA decades ago. I remember that my Mom and Himself both loved it. I thought it was OK; my Dad didn't have any. I know that Himself has ordered it since then when we've traveled through the south and stopped to eat at a place that offered it. I might be nice to him and make some for Thanksgiving this year.
King's Arm Tavern Peanut Soup Recipe

As far as historic houses and restored villages, I have two suggestions. If you liked Monticello, you might love Poplar Forest, Jefferson's "Summer Home". It's like a little Monticello, but so much more personal than his big house near the capital. You can almost feel his presence when you visit there. We stumbled upon it on a trip back from FL. The preservation group had acquired it just a few years earlier and we got to see it early on in its restoration, then later when they had more work done - and more to come. They've made much progress since our last visit; I hope we can stop again when we head back north from FL this year.

Also, south of Cleveland is a recreated village called "Jonathan Hale Farm and Village". We haven't been there for ages, but I always enjoyed it when we were there. It's a bargain, too, at only $10 admission.

Love LOVE Williamsburg. Himself and I have been there at least half a dozen times, and my SIL and I were there once on a "girls' week". I want to go back again, but I think Himself has tired of it.

Thanks for the loom/ weaving search. We love restored villages, so doing it at OSV feels would tie in the craft and atmosphere. That being said, there are a few on the search that I didn't even know about. Its amazing how you can live somewhere all your life, and not know of something that is right under your nose. (the ones in Brooklyn and NYC I was familiar with, but getting there can be a PIA, so usually we avoid the hassle.

Poplar Forest we first became aware of last year when we were touring Monticello. One of the tour members were talking about how they just cane from Poplar Forest and went on to explain a little bit about it. It was also mentioned briefly by the tour guide. Once again, when I do a research for vacation, im very thorough, so the fact that I missed it surprised me. Definitely on our list of places to visit. Just wish I realized this when I was in the area. Now I have to make the journey again, but its ok, Ill find many other nice places to incorporate into the trip.

Never heard of the place south of Cleveland. That actually works out well, cause Ill be in Cleveland in a few weeks. Not sure if time will allow, but Ill also put it on my list of places too see. There are places Ive paid 25$ just to park, so I welcome the $10 admission fee with open arms. ( Just saw they also offer looming workshops during the summer. Might do another road trip. Also just saw they are only open weekends this time of the year, so unfortunately, it rules it out on my upcoming trip ( probably didn't have enough time anyway, but worth a shot :) ))

Definitely want to give the peanut soup a try. I love soups of all kinds. Its also just about that time of the year ( Soup time, even though I eat it year round ).

Thanks again

Last edited:
Hey, Larry, CG's note reminded me of the Frontier Museum in western Virginia that you might like. Then I remembered that I had sent this info to my dad and stepmother when they visited us a few years ago.

Woodrow Wilson's birthplace and Presidential Library, Staunton, VA
http://www.woodrowwilson.org/museum/the-birthplace-the-manse

James Madison's plantation home, Montpelier, VA
https://www.montpelier.org/

Frontier Culture Museum, Waynesville, VA
http://www.frontiermuseum.org

And here's information about all eight American presidents born in Virginia. Some of their homes are museums and I lists other historic places nearby.
https://www.virginia.org/birthplacepresidents

Hey, Larry, CG's note reminded me of the Frontier Museum in western Virginia that you might like. Then I remembered that I had sent this info to my dad and stepmother when they visited us a few years ago.

Woodrow Wilson's birthplace and Presidential Library, Staunton, VA
http://www.woodrowwilson.org/museum/the-birthplace-the-manse

James Madison's plantation home, Montpelier, VA
https://www.montpelier.org/

Frontier Culture Museum, Waynesville, VA
Frontier Culture Museum – Bringing the Past to Life

And here's information about all eight American presidents born in Virginia. Some of their homes are museums and I lists other historic places nearby.
https://www.virginia.org/birthplacepresidents

Looks like I got another road trip to plan :LOL:

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom