2021 Thanksgiving Plans (U.S.A. - 11/25/2021)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Ginny, sadly I can relate to her. I wish at times I were able to be blunt and say what I feel.

And although I am often blunt, it's usually at inappropriate times! :rolleyes:

Hmmm...I don't think she was being blunt. I think it is something she thought up that wouldn't be questioned too much and would get her out of going out of the house. It's okay. We are getting pretty used to it. And, we have to pick our battles, right?

I may brine the turkey breast this year. I've never brined turkey at all, ever. It's just under 9 lbs. I was thinking I should put it into thaw on Sunday for 3 days (fridge is set at 36 °F). Then brine for 1 day?
Planning on putting salt, sugar, fresh - rosemary, sage and thyme in the water. Can I brine the breast in one of those large turkey sized roasting bags placed in a pan in the fridge? I won't have space for a large pot.

Any suggestions?

I may brine the turkey breast this year. I've never brined turkey at all, ever. It's just under 9 lbs. I was thinking I should put it into thaw on Sunday for 3 days (fridge is set at 36 °F). Then brine for 1 day?
Planning on putting salt, sugar, fresh - rosemary, sage and thyme in the water. Can I brine the breast in one of those large turkey sized roasting bags placed in a pan in the fridge? I won't have space for a large pot.

Any suggestions?

I think a bag will work. I would back your schedule up by one day. In order to get that nice skin, you want to get it out of the brine at least 24 hours before cooking and let it dry thoroughly.

Any suggestions?

When I brine my turkey, I put it in a 20-quart pot and take it out to the car for overnight. We have refrigerator level temps outdoors.

For the brine, ½ C of K. salt and ¼ C sugar per quart of water. Limit your brining time to 8 hours or so.

Really small plans this year.
No appetizer
Turkey soup with turkey meat bowls
Turkey
Mashed potatoes
Mushroom gravy
Probably green salad
Pickled tomatoes (Mmmm)
I already made cranberry sauce
Hopefully my wife will make pecan pie, it's the best
Soda/juice

Sad part that we are not having anybody. My eldest daughter will come. Middle daughter is living with us. I'll pick up my mother.

In the last 5 years all of our friends moved out of town. Las Vegas, Florida, New York, California.

Who can blame them. Who wants to live in frozen Minnesota. I know I don't. But my work is not flexible. I will never find job as good as one I have here.

We still have friends, but one is one a diet, the other one is gluten free, the next one doesn't eat turkey. I can't keep up. I invited them, told them what I'm cooking, told them to bring their own stuff, they are not coming. One family I refuse to invite after couple of times they showed up 4 hours late. Well, there is only so much I can do.

Family it is.

CharlieD <<In the last 5 years all of our friends moved out of town. Las Vegas, Florida, New York, California.

Who can blame them. Who wants to live in frozen Minnesota.>>

Out of all the places you listed, I think I would choose Minnesota. But then, I've never even been there. I've been to all the others, save New York, and I've no desire to live in any of them, for one reason or another.

JMHO

I'm old and a loner. I generally don't celebrate any holidays, but this year I decided to make a small roast chicken with oyster stuffing, a broccoli mushroom casserole. and a mashed sweet potato.

CharlieD <<In the last 5 years all of our friends moved out of town. Las Vegas, Florida, New York, California.

Who can blame them. Who wants to live in frozen Minnesota.>>

Out of all the places you listed, I think I would choose Minnesota. But then, I've never even been there. I've been to all the others, save New York, and I've no desire to live in any of them, for one reason or another.

JMHO

I hear you. Not all NY is bad. As long as you are not in the city it’s not much different.
Same with Nevada/Las Vegas. 10 minutes away from the strip and it is your regular rural America. And Florida, I love, love ocean. My dream to live there.

Back to Thanksgiving.
Have a stuffing question.
What do you, people use? Fresh bread or croutons?

I think SIRI is Canadian, eh. I asked her several times when Thanksgiving is and she keeps telling me it is on Monday, the 10th of October, 2022. I have used several different identifiers such as American Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving in the United States and she still insists on 10 October, so I guess I will keep the turkey frozen until next October. Beauty!

Last edited:
I think SIRI is Canadian, eh. I asked her several times when Thanksgiving is and she keeps telling me it is on Monday, the 10th of October, 2022. I have used several different identifiers such as American Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving in the United States and she still insists on 10 October, so I guess I will keep the turkey frozen until next October. Beauty!

I'd make my best turkey, and sides, present it tastefully at the table on the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday, and place a bowl of canned chicken soup at her place setting. When she asked what was going on, I'd reply, "It's not October tenth. Enjoy your soup."

Of course she'll complain. Then you can offer her some U.S. Thanksgiving dinner, with a chuckle. Be prepared to sleep on the couch:ROFLMAO:.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwinf of the North

Charlie, I too don't mind Minn. Keep in mind I don't care for ANY city. So where I lived there is now all city... part of the twins. :(

Has to be country for me.

Tomorrow will be my Pre Thanksgiving trial run.
Having been told to bring my own main meal ( since we're vegetarians/ vegan), I will bring a pasta dish but will try a few new things. I dont like making and bringing something new without trying it first. So tomorrow Ill make a few scaled down versions of 2 dishes and see if they are worth the effort and will impress

One will be a vegetarian lasagna with some thanksgiving ingredients ( Butternut squash, mushrooms, spinach ..)

The other will be a Portobello Mushroom Wellington. I had this when I went to a catered event, and to my surprise, the venue went above and beyond with their vegetarian option ( usually its steamed veggies, grilled veggies, pasta primavera or something from the cocktail hour). Its rare at a large catered event to get something unique and labor intensive.

If all goes good then ill make and bring them. If not, then just the pasta dish.

I was also tempted to make a few varieties of mini quiches with a hint of thanksgiving herbs, veggies, ingredients.

"Portobello Mushroom Wellington."

This sounds very interesting. Will be wanting to see how it turns out.

Found a few recipes online but, want to hear results from someone who gives us information all the time. :)

Ross

You must have bought a Canadian phone.

Tomorrow will be my Pre Thanksgiving trial run.
Having been told to bring my own main meal ( since we're vegetarians/ vegan), I will bring a pasta dish but will try a few new things. I dont like making and bringing something new without trying it first. So tomorrow Ill make a few scaled down versions of 2 dishes and see if they are worth the effort and will impress

One will be a vegetarian lasagna with some thanksgiving ingredients ( Butternut squash, mushrooms, spinach ..)

The other will be a Portobello Mushroom Wellington. I had this when I went to a catered event, and to my surprise, the venue went above and beyond with their vegetarian option ( usually its steamed veggies, grilled veggies, pasta primavera or something from the cocktail hour). Its rare at a large catered event to get something unique and labor intensive.

If all goes good then ill make and bring them. If not, then just the pasta dish.

I was also tempted to make a few varieties of mini quiches with a hint of thanksgiving herbs, veggies, ingredients.

They sound yummy! I'm interested to hear more about the lasagna recipe. I made a butternut squash lasagna once. It was a tad on the sweet side to me. I have a Mushroom Spinach & Pesto Lasagna recipe that we love! Both of the mentioned recipes do have cheese, so I don't suppose they would work for you.

Good luck & let us know your thoughts on them!

Thanksgiving doesn't show up on my Microsoft Outlook Calendar either. I've had to add it as a "reoccurring event".

Back
Top Bottom