Caviar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi. Never tried it before but hey it’s Christmas. I am interested in storage as it is coming up to the big day. I have seen on Amazon £40.

[https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sturgeon-C...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1]

I have heard if it is still sealed it can be kept longer. Then there is how to eat it? I was thinking of rye bread and have heard of having it with Crème fraiche. Any ideas would be helpful. Cucumber slice kind of thing if you know what I mean.

You could try making traditional Russian blini for a base.

If you have a small amount of caviar you could stretch it by using it with smoked salmon or slices of hard boiled egg, deviled eggs, etc..

1702651698543.jpeg

If you have any leftover caviar add a spoonful to scrambled eggs or an omelet.

I clicked the link and it states currently unavailable.

We usually have blinis or water crackers, with creme fraiche, HB eggs, yolks and whites grated separately, chives, finely chopped shallots or red onion (soaked in ice water, drained and blotted dry). Craig sometimes has lox or nova as well, which I don't like. Frozen vodka or champagne to drink.

A creamy cucumber/radish/light fresh dill salad sounds really good to me. Don't know about rye as that is such a strong tasting bread. You could also make toast points with some good bread, lightly buttered with good butter.

Since you've never had it before, don't skimp on the caviar quality. There's a reason it's graded and there are such price differences.

Most importantly, buy from a reputable source with lots of turnover.

Tanks for your ideas. I clicked on the link at it is available for christmas. Probably the best time to pick it as there will be a good turnover. Never thought of smoked salmon.

That price is for 30 grams, basically an ounce. Not sure if you noticed that.

This container is 250 g's and converts to about 450.00 dollars Canadian. That caviar is probably Russian sturgeon and beluga is the most expensive but caviar is certainly not cheap.
20190928_132931 (1).jpg
20190928_132908 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I purchased, or tried to at least, black truffles off Amazon previously because they were a better price than we can get locally. Long story short, I paid and they never showed. Kept getting run around but finally got refunded after persisting. Not saying that will happen with this seller, but just be aware.

Just for comparison, this is a link to the local place for us where we buy luxury food items. We get the Imperial or Crown ossetra usually. 1 oz is more than enough for the 2 of us as an appetizer/first course and we have enough left for the next day usually.

Oh, BTW, we have kept it up to a week, maybe a little more, unopened.

Last edited:
This time of year the cheese shop of our local Wegman’s has 1 oz. Golden Ossetra for $100.00 and 4.4 ounce for $425.00 but it’s farmed not wild.

It might be better to experiment by going to a couple of high end restaurants that serve caviar and see what you enjoy.

I always had caviar at over the top work related functions and I have to admit that
I was not impressed.

I absolutely love caviar but don’t eat it more than a few times a year. The other day we were shopping at a fancy gourmet store and overheard the manager discussing caviar with a customer that had never tried it before.

The manager said that, strange at it may sound, he prefers to eat it on Cape Cod potato chips.

i think I’m going to try that.

I don't use ounces in the (UK). Grams are normal here. The thing is how much are you getting? Showing a tin does not give an indication of volume. I know what 50g of sugar is but not what 50g of caviar is.

Just seen this...
Package Dimensions‎15 x 12 x 12 cm; 30 Grams

That is a tin 4 inches in diameter by 6 inches tall. Does that sound right to you?

I was thinking more like 2 inches diameter by 3/4 inch tall.

Elsewhere says a spoon full = 16g

Last edited:
An ounce rounds to 28.35 grams. Caviar is not dense so there is going to be more volume wise than sugar and salt.

I think the package dimensions includes the packaging. Most, if not all, sizes on Amazon are packaging dimensions.

The 2 inches x 3/4 sounds about right for 1 ounce.

It might be better to experiment by going to a couple of high end restaurants that serve caviar and see what you enjoy.

There are a couple of restaurants we go to that have caviar tasting menus. Just like everything else in a restaurant, the mark up is tremendous. We can buy an ounce of caviar for what the restaurant charges for a rounded half teaspoon, if that, in total. Plus, you don't know how long it has sat open.

That chart looks just about right. I have mostly had lumpfish caviar. Back in the 1970s, serving it with crème fraiche hadn't really come into fashion. The times I had it at parties, it was served with raw egg yolks to mix in and then spread on fancy crackers. The egg yolk took the edge off the saltiness and sharper flavours.

lump fish caviar is a lot cheeper but what is the taste diffrence? as for the chart 30g = 2 teaspoons sounds about okay for 2 people. For a starter with Crème fraiche on rye sounds just right for christmas.

lump fish caviar is a lot cheeper but what is the taste diffrence? as for the chart 30g = 2 teaspoons sounds about okay for 2 people. For a starter with Crème fraiche on rye sounds just right for christmas.
I haven't had enough of the good stuff to tell you. At the time, 50 years ago, it didn't seem like much difference, tastewise. Someone more familiar with both will need to reply.

Someone else mentioned that the rye bread might be too flavourful. I tend to agree.

My father used to say there was a difference but never really described it, at least not in words that I remember.

I know they would buy the more expensive one for cocktail parties. He would personally pass them around and explain to each and every one the differences, blah, blah, blah... LOL, bit of a caviar snob! LOL
Was the same with oysters. They would bring in a huge wooden barrel for their anniversary party. He would teach them all how to open them - of course, everyone knew how to eat them, but he would make them open them too. (or at least try, I was lurking around willing to help the ladies who didn't want to 'dirty their hands' LOL - I was 8 or 9 at the time)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom