Have you ever lost food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I just went to find some sugar of a certain type (I think it is called demera, but it is a large grained, brown sugar I've used for years, since introduced to it in Hawaii). I don't use it often.

Took out a tupperware container that looked like it, and opened the top, and whew! Looked a second time and realized it was granulated garlic that I'd bought at Penzeys, and I cannot remember when. It's still good, and thank heaven my sniffer is still working!

Have you ever "lost" food in your pantry or freezer?

I forgot about a block of tofu in my freezer for a few months, then went and did massive grocery shopping and went to organize everything and found this super freezer burnt block of tofu

I just went to find some sugar of a certain type (I think it is called demera, but it is a large grained, brown sugar I've used for years, since introduced to it in Hawaii). I don't use it often.

Took out a tupperware container that looked like it, and opened the top, and whew! Looked a second time and realized it was granulated garlic that I'd bought at Penzeys, and I cannot remember when. It's still good, and thank heaven my sniffer is still working!

All the time...took me a good 30 minutes to find the bag of Panko I wanted to use for Shrek's talapia today...it turned out great!

I tend to buy things in threes, if it's something we use often. I always seem to lose the last of the three.

I "loose" stuff in the kitchen all the time....mainly because my DH likes to "help" me in there. I'm so not used to help in the kitchen, I sure don't want to complain. Sooner or later it turns up in the strangest places. :rolleyes:

Is it really lost if you don't remember you have it? :huh:
That's the category I fall in :LOL:

Is demerara like turbinado?

I lose things in the freezer. I need to get better about marking packages. I've thawed things out with a specific plan for food A only to find out that it is food B instead just before cooking.

Pacanis, I don't know. I've seen it marketed as "sugar in the raw" or some such, but it's quite coarse, light brown in color.

When I had a chest freezer I was always losing stuff. Ironically, it was a good thing when I lived in Florida, Hawaii and Virginia. In all three places I lost power because of hurricanes and was just thrilled to find surprise food!

I have a front fridge in the kitchen, a back fridge in the laundry, and a deep freeze in the basement. I keep a log book so I know what is where, what gets used etc. Also helps me use things within a year.

I have a front fridge in the kitchen, a back fridge in the laundry, and a deep freeze in the basement. I keep a log book so I know what is where, what gets used etc. Also helps me use things within a year.

I want to be that organized when I grow up.:cool:

I found my sunglasses in the freezer with the food. I also drove to work one day with a fried egg sandwich on the roof of my car. I placed it on there to open the door and got in and drove off with it still on the roof. It fell off at the end of the driveway. My wife noticed it when she looked out after I had just left.

Last edited:
I was pleasantly surprised by something I pulled out of the freezer last week. It was red. I figured it for spaghetti sauce or something... maybe chili, but it was shredded beef in a deep reddish brown sauce of some sort. It was thick like a stew, but not nearly the ingredients, just onion (that I noticed). I ate it for lunch, the whole time wishing I had labeled it so I could make it again. I still don't know what it was I ate for lunch that day, but it was delicious :wacko:

Claire, the sugars sound very similar from what I've read.

my biggest problem is forgetting fresh vegs. don't ever want to the money total of slimy brown things that had to be thrown away. just found a can of crisco in among the baking pans. no clue how it got there but it was no good. has to have been there for several years. i recently put all the indg. for baking in one cupboard. it is working well that way.

I have that happen too. I thought I was going crazy. We ran out of peanut butter so i went to the pantry to get the second jar from a package of two. Lo and behold it was not there. Upon closer examination quite a few backup items were missing. I was very confused, I remember buying them last time we were at the grocery. It took me two days to realize that my visiting daughter had abscounded with my pantry items! I have a meat freezer and a veggie/berry freezer in the basement so I'm somewhat organized, I hope. She really threw me for a loop!

My first year in college the student in the dorm next door used up all my food and cooking supplies while I was working through the weekend. The following Monday I threw away all his underwear.

I always forget food in my freezer. I then discover them when I rearrange the freezer.

Yes! I finally found out that one of my trusted employees was a kleptomaniac. She stole a rolled rump roast, canned crab meat and chocolate chips to name a few. I couldn't imagine what happened to these things until one day she said, "You've got so much food you don't even know what you've got."

Needless to say, she is no longer my employee.

My first year in college the student in the dorm next door used up all my food and cooking supplies while I was working through the weekend. The following Monday I threw away all his underwear.

I like your way of thinking! :ROFLMAO:

I loose things all the time in the fridge. They usually get shoved to the back. I keep the pantry pretty organized.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom