Help With A New Wok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisher's Mom

Executive Chef
Okay, I bought a new 18" round bottomed stainless steel wok by Eastman Outdoors. It came with an instructional DVD, which I did watch. Apparently, they intend for you to use these with an outdoor, stand-alone wok stove thing, which I didn't buy. I had purchased a wok ring for use on my gas stove. The care instructions for the wok said to season it first with peanut oil over medium heat. I was surprised because I didn't know you should season stainless steel but then again, I know very little about cooking!

I just tried seasoning it tonight but immediately, the oil burned on the bottom of the wok. Maybe I'm not using the ring right. I took the grate off of the burner and set the ring down around the burner. The ring seems kind of shallow and the bottom of the wok is in the flame. Is this right? Should the flame be touching the wok? I has the burner on medium setting but maybe that was still too hot? Does anyone know what I did wrong and how to do it right? I'm going to be scrubbing the bottom of the wok for a while, I think. It's a burnt black mess. (It's not supposed to be like that, is it?)

Ya'll are the best and I've learned so much here the past couple of weeks. Thanks in advance for any insights into my latest kitchen mess!

1) if you had a carbon steel wok i'd say you were ok, but with ss the idea is not to blacken it. My guess is you will do less heat damage to your range by keeping the grate in place. the wok ring can be used in either direction wide or shallow, so go wide. This is now probably the medium heat intended. There are all kinds of stainless cleaners out there to get things back to normal.

visit thewokshop.com: The Leading Woks Site on the Net for any more info

2.) :) stainless steel does not need to be seasoned but as robo said, carbon steel does. you want the black stuff on carbon steel, incorrectly called a patina, but it should not be on stainless. the black stuff is cooked fat that fills all of the micrscopic pits in the iron surface, both preventing oxidation and creating a relatively non-stick suface.

again, stainless steel does not need this protective layer.

try "barkeepers friend", or so i've heard, to clean your stainless steel.

also, be careful using your wok ring. if the temp gets too high in there, it could discolor the top of the stove. i find that my wok works well enough just sitting on the regular tines of the burner.

some people may argue that you need a jet engine under a wok to be able to reproduce the delicious flavors from chinese restaurants, but i think that it's a fallacy. the real flavor come from the sauce, not just the temp of the wok. although, the wok does need to get hot. but you're just applying heat to metal, so if you give it time to heat up, you're doing the same as appling a lot of heat in a short time, as a restaurant would need to do.

if you have a stove with a higher output burner, use that one.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try it on the burner grate. Yep, Bars Keeps Friend took the burnt stuff off so I'll try again sans seasoning. I do have high capacity burners but they are the back 2 and the wok's too big to fit back there. (I need to remind myself that bigger isn't always better!) Is peanut oil okay still for the cooking? Do I heat the pan before adding the oil? Thanks again.

Terry

yes, and yes.

peanut oil is good, some people prefer it.

and you heat the wok well, then add oil. if it starts to smoke, you're in the ballpark.

if it smokes heavily, turn the heat down a bit.

the other needs of wok cooking...prepare your mis en place everything cut chopped measured ready. dry items that go in together put together. same with liquids if they go in together, get them in the same bowl beofre you start. Stir frying is fast.

If you find your garlic gets too brown (burned tasting) add it last when there are other ingredients in the pan .

enjoy

A stainless steel wok should not be "seasoned". Nor should you try. It just ain't possible with stainless steel. Sort of defeats the purpose of stainless steel if you think about it. There's absolutely no reason or benefit from even trying. It won't "take". True stainless steel can't be seasoned. That's what "stainless" virtually means - lol!!!! Which is why I won't use a stainless steel wok for authentic Asian high-heat cooking.

Carbon steel & cast iron woks should definitely be seasoned, & become like old friends once they are.

If I were you, I'd keep my stainless-steel wok for doing quick veggie sautees, etc., & go out & buy a carbon steel wok - very inexpensive & worth every tiny penny of it.

I've had my carbon-steel wok since 1974 & it's still going strong & does everything for me from stirfrying to deepfrying to steaming (with a bamboo steamer). It's my most precious cooking possesion & I wouldn't trade it for anything. It was purchased in a local Chinese grocery store in LI, NY & cost, geez, maybe somewhere between $10-$20.00.

I wanted to thank all of you who responded in depth to my questions - ya'll may get me through this yet!!!

I have used the wok twice since everyone replied. First, Bucky Tom, you were right, it works so much better just on top of the burner grate and I had no problem getting it to the right temp. Much more stable, too. The first time, I overcooked the beef so it was tough and the sauce packet I bought left a lot to be desired. Still, we could eat it and I could see the possibilities.

The next time I paid more attention to Robo410's reminder that stir-fry is fast and I didn't overcook the beef. It was tender and tasty. I actually took it out while I was cooking the veggies since I was pretty sure the meat was done and didn't want to risk getting jerky beef strips again! I also made a sauce from a Betty Crocker cookbook and though it was better than last time, I wouldn't call it good. But I could see that with the right sauce, this would have been a really good meal. So, as per Bucky Tom's observations, I will now be exploring sauces.

I noticed quite a number of bottled sauces in the grocery store. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or is that a big mistake and I should prepare a sauce fresh? Any simple sauce recipes ya'll could suggest? The kids and I seem to like darker, more tangy sauces, at least when we order at restaurants. Nobody here at home seems to care for white sauces, at least in asian style foods. They do like spicy. (I'm not being picky - I just thought if I'm going to impose and ask you for further assistance, I should give ya'll all the details so it's easier for you.)

Again, thanks so much to all for taking the time to help. You really can't imagine how much this is changing things in my home. The kids are getting a huge kick out of my new adventures in the kitchen and they are even branching out in the things they prepare for themselves.

My favorite simple sauce - which works with meat, poultry, & seafood - consists of just a couple of tablespoons each of soy sauce, dry sherry, & Asian Chili or Chili-Garlic paste (available in the Asian aisle of most supermarkets these days). Mix together & add when your meat & veggies are just about cooked & stir a couple of times. Then dissolve 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in 1 tablespoon of cold water & add that to your wok mixture & continue stirring until everything thickens up a bit. Delicious - & definitely spicy. (You can adjust the amount of Chili paste to taste.)

BreezyCooking said:
My favorite simple sauce - which works with meat, poultry, & seafood - consists of just a couple of tablespoons each of soy sauce, dry sherry, & Asian Chili or Chili-Garlic paste (available in the Asian aisle of most supermarkets these days). Mix together & add when your meat & veggies are just about cooked & stir a couple of times. Then dissolve 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in 1 tablespoon of cold water & add that to your wok mixture & continue stirring until everything thickens up a bit. Delicious - & definitely spicy. (You can adjust the amount of Chili paste to taste.)

Oh, that sounds fabulous! Thanks so much! And your timing is perfect - I'm going to the grocery store this afternoon. I'll let you know how it comes out!

I wanted to touch base with all of you who helped me with my stirfry adventures. I still don't have it down yet, but the results are better each time. The kids are even getting into it. Here is a pic of one son making his first ever stirfry completely on his own! He overloaded the wok and didn't cook the veggies enough before adding the meat, but he figured that out without my needing to tell him and his next attempt was much improved. Best of all, we are having so much fun! (If it wasn't for ya'll, we'd still be eating frozen convenience foods every night.) So thanks again for all the help.
Terry StirFry.JPG

Fisher’s Mom: Super congrats on making this change! I was just telling a friend that it seems absurd that so many people claim they ‘simply do not have the time to cook’ so they use pre-packaged meals. Nonsense! And how cool that your son is into it as well.

Keep up the good wok.:)

Thanks Devora. I'm really thrilled we are doing it as a family. I'm hoping the boys will grow up and be able to cook well for their families (and then their wives will love me)!
Terry

Sauces can be as simple or complex as you want them to be. Simply melt butter, add a splash of soy sauce, and a bit of corn starch slurry to thicken and you have a sauce. Another great sauce with many stir-fries is to use natural meat juices, be it form pork, chicken, beef, seafood, etc, and thicken it with a bit of cornstarch, using onion and garlic to sweeten and add flavor. It is said of garlic in asian culture, garlic is not to be tasted, but rather it is used as a subtle flavor that enhances the other flavors around it.

Try this simple stir-fry, making sure to do the prep work of chopping and organizing the ingredients before starting to cook.

Ingredients:
2 stalks celery, washed and bias-sliced (cut at an angle to the length)
1 carrot, peeled and bias sliced
1 stalk bok choy, washed and bias sliced
1 medium sized onion, peeled and cutfrom top to bottom into leafs
1 cup sugar-snap or snow peas, washed
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
LIte naturally brewed soy sauce
1 tbs. corns starch mixed with 1/2 cup water
Your choice of pork, chiken, or beef, sliced into thin strips
Coarse-grind black pepper
Peanut or sunflower oil.

Heat the wok over medium high heat for ten minutes. add about three tbs. of the oil. Imediately add the beef, and ginger, stirring constantly until just barely done. Remove from the wok and place in a serving bowl. Add the veggies, and garlic. Add 2 tbs. water, cover and steam the veggies until tender/crisp. Remove the veggies to the serving bowl. Thicken the pan juices with the cornstarch slurry over medium heat. Pour over the food and fold until all is coated with the sauce. Serve with rice.

Hint, if you make this dish with chicken, omit the soy sauce and add 2 cups of fresh bean sprouts to the veggie mixture. serve with plumb sauce.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Just some friendly advice, use a wooden spoon. It wont scratch your wok. Using metal will scrape it and thats no fun. Looks like a decent stir, just bring down the serving size a bit.

BBQ Mikey said:
Just some friendly advice, use a wooden spoon. It wont scratch your wok. Using metal will scrape it and thats no fun. Looks like a decent stir, just bring down the serving size a bit.

You are so right! That "shovel" came with the wok and I wondered at the time about it but I figured "what do I know". I now have wooden and bamboo utensils and they are so much better. You're right about the amount of food in the wok, too. I think we were cooking for 8 or 9 that day and hadn't figured out that stirfry is so fast that it's easy to do large meals in two wok "loads". Thanks for your help. I've read lots of your posts and you are obviously an accomplished cook so I'm honored and grateful for any advice from you!

Goodweed, I printed your recipe and shared it with my son, the one who seems to get a kick out of "wokking", and we're planning to try it tomorrow. I will let you know how we did and again, thanks so much for taking the time to lend a hand.

Terry

Pea nut oil is used by %99 of asian cooks and Chinese restaurants. try some oyster sauce by *** chee, or a little black vinegar for a little sour taste it is mild.Asian sesamy oil is a major seasoning in Japan (I lived in Tokyo for 2 years) experiment. The Key to chinese cooking is one of my favorite cook book/ goes from basic to advanced real good.

heya fishmum, sounds like you're having fun.

i haven't read thru everything, but has anyone suggested the various ways to use a wok, such as a steamer, or a smoker? take a wok :rolleyes: on the wild side.

buy some cheap bamboo steamer inserts, and use the wok to produce the steam underneath.

or one thing i've wanted to try is tea smoked fish. use chopsticks to support a plate of fish "mid-wok", place tea in the dry bottom to smoke, and cover with the wok's dome lid.

Dave Hutchins said:
Pea nut oil is used by %99 of asian cooks and Chinese restaurants. try some oyster sauce by *** chee, or a little black vinegar for a little sour taste it is mild.Asian sesamy oil is a major seasoning in Japan (I lived in Tokyo for 2 years) experiment. The Key to chinese cooking is one of my favorite cook book/ goes from basic to advanced real good.
Thanks Dave. I have the oyster sauce on my list to buy but I've never heard of the black vinegar. It sounds tasty and I'll try it. I've been using peanut oil (mostly because I heard it had the highest smoking point and I have a tendency to burn everything) but I do want to try the sesame oil. Do I need to keep the temp lower?

buckytom said:
heya fishmum, sounds like you're having fun.

i haven't read thru everything, but has anyone suggested the various ways to use a wok, such as a steamer, or a smoker? take a wok :rolleyes: on the wild side.

buy some cheap bamboo steamer inserts, and use the wok to produce the steam underneath.

or one thing i've wanted to try is tea smoked fish. use chopsticks to support a plate of fish "mid-wok", place tea in the dry bottom to smoke, and cover with the wok's dome lid.
Hey BT, how did you know I have a wild side? :LOL: Nope, I had no idea you could do other things with a wok. I've seen those bamboo steamers and wondered how you use them. The tea thing sounds so cool but I need to clarify. Do you put dry, loose tea in the bottom of the wok over high heat? What kind of fish would you try to start with? I've never smoked anything ;) so can you give me an idea of how long to keep the fish in the tea smoke? (Are you starting to wish you'd never come across this thread?)
Terry

Back
Top Bottom