How many use a deep fryer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Changing Deep Fryer Oil

We go through "phases" around here with the deepfryer. Sometimes we use it nonstop for a few days and other times it will sit in the cupboard for a few months before being used.

Usually what I do is: When I take it out, I change the oil and clean it. If I am only making french fries or chip fries, I will leave it. Once I cook chicken in it, it gets changed. It does change the flavour of anything else being cooked after the chicken.

That Chinese restaurant sounds wonderful! I wish we had something like that around here, maybe we do and I just haven't heard of it.

Thank you for your take on the subject! :D

here's a question I don't think I've seen answered yet - how do you dispose of the oil you've used once or 20 times?

I don't use a deep fryer, but I pour off any fat that I don't intend to use further (roux, gravy, etc) into a empty coffee can with a lid under the sink. When it's full, I freeze it, wrap in a couple of plastic grocery bags, and toss on garbage collection day so it doesn't have a chance to melt in my trash can.

I keep a separate smaller can for bacon grease only in the fridge that I use for making cornbread and other goodies.

mudbug,

re: disposing of used fry oil

I let the oil cool until I can put it back in the bottle it came in, and when it's too dirty to use again, I just toss it in the trash. There's nothing wrong with that. I toss cans of bacon grease in the trash, too.

I have a well-used Fry Daddy and would love to have a new fryer. And a new blender and a new food processor and a new trash compactor .....

Lee

Well, now hold on a second here. I DO save some bacon grease in the freezer, along with chicken fat and beef fat, but one can only have so much before one tosses some.

I had an Irish friend who only made her grilled cheese sandwiches on a cast iron pan, using schmaltz instead of butter. I've tried it and it's great, but I prefer my grilled cheese sandwiches in butter.

Lee

LOL! Careful about tossing the bacon grease! Choc and I might break into your house SWAT team-style and rescue the bacon grease before it hits the trash! :LOL: BTW, made country gravy with bacon grease the other day, mmmm...! Who needs bisquits? Gimme a spoon!
I have a Fry Daddy too but it doesn't get a whole lot of use. I'm trying to get down to my "ideal" weight again (and again and again ad infinitum.) I've never had a problem with it, tho.

mudbug said:
how do you dispose of the oil you've used once or 20 times?

I pour off any fat that I don't intend to use further (roux, gravy, etc) into a empty coffee can with a lid under the sink. When it's full, I freeze it, wrap in a couple of plastic grocery bags, and toss on garbage collection day so it doesn't have a chance to melt in my trash can.

I keep a separate smaller can for bacon grease only in the fridge that I use for making cornbread and other goodies.

That is EXACTLY what I do as well, mudbug. My mom told me about using coffee cans when I was a teenager and it stuck. I also have a small container that I put bacon grease into for cooking.

I really hope y'all don't object to me jumping right in here and posting all over God's creation like I am. I just found this site yesterday while looking for a new place to play that acutally cares about cooking and food. Spryte, shame on you for not telling me about it! :P

Some of you know me from FoodTV and/or other forums, some of you don't know me but may have heard of me (I am quite outspoken and a bit irrevrent) and the rest of you don't know me from Adam and probably couldn't really care less if you did or not. :LOL:

That said, I own a Phillips deep fryer I got for Christmas from my son, Plague of Locusts, two years ago, and I use it all the time for french fries, chicken, Monte Cristos, and just about anything else that needs deep frying. I have even been known to deep fry hot dogs when in a hurry.

I use nothing but purre Canola oil in it, so it is healthy deep frying, sort of, and when the oil wears out and/or the unit needs a good cleaning, I pour the used oil into empty Ovaltine jars and toss it in the trash. It was much easier when Ovaltine came in glass jars, of course, because now I have to wait for the oil to cool so the jars don't melt. :)

Hi ya Caine! I thought I recognized that name from somewhere! We don't mind you posting all over the way you are, just be sure to go introduce yourself in the Introductions & Birthdays area so we can give you a proper DiscussCooking welcome! :D

momcooks said:
Why who let you in here Caine? ;)

Newton's fourth law of Physics: Everybody has to be someplace.

Cassandra Crossiing is nice and all, but nobody really discusses cooking any more, so I came here.

Deep Fryer

I just change my oil in my deep fryer, and wash it the best I could. How do you get the gunk that is almost cooked on the sides off ? I leave my oil in the fryer all the time--and still kickin'. I just use it for fries or mushrooms . Any help would be appreciated. Barb!

Andy M. said:
If it's metal, use Dawn Power Dissolver or BKF to get it off.

Yeah!! That stuff truly works wonders, doesn't it?

I always buy a couple of bottles of the stuff just to have a lot of it on hand, and to keep from ever running out of it.

You'd think that by now, the stuff would be in larger bottles, but I guess not.

And BTW, I own 2 deep fryers, but I've only used them once or twice. Can't have fried foods too often either.

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
I've had a hard time finding DPD in the past. Last time I found it I bought 6 bottles.

At times, it DOES seem to run low in the supermarkets. I did that also. Bought about 4 bottles because I thought the store was going to stop selling it, like they've done with so many other things!

This stuff also brought new life back to my Fagor pressure cooker by helping me get rid of all that brown mineral deposition around the vent pipe where the steam comes out during operation.

Buck, go to Dawn Power Dissolver Review at Epinions.com to see the bottle and read my review on the product (Daquan). Thank you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom