"Hubby" forgot about our anniversary.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every 29th of August, me and Hubby have a romantic dinner at a restaurant of his choice; it is usually a surprise and it's fun to go to a new place every time (he has excellent taste in restaurants). Tonight, at 5pm, I was expecting him to tell me where we were going. He didn't and I got suspicious. I hinted at it, saying "are we doing anything tonight?" and he replied with, "no, I was planning on going to the bar later". I'm utterly crushed. He chose alcohol over me. What do I do? What do I say? Feeling like I'm Un-Loved Linda.

Is it too late for you to doll up and go to his bar? You can tell him that you were meeting your date and show him a great photo of himself! Tell him it has been a standing date every year!

It does hurt, but truthfully we all miss important dates from time to time. Give him a chance to make it up to you.

Mine has forgotten ours once. We had been married 6 or 7 years, second for us both, at the time. I knew he forgot because we would usually discuss where we wanted to go for a nice dinner, plus we would get little surprise token gifts of something we knew the other wanted. I had hoped that he would remember, but knew he had forgotten in my heart. I absolutely forbade our teen DD, mine bio, his step, from reminding him because she did remember.

When he came home, I didn't say a word, waited for a while to see if was pranking me because he had proposed on Valentine's Day in a way that was very disappointing at first as the ring was taped in a card that had a very busy design of swirls and circles so it wasn't obvious that I was getting more than a card. In fact, he had to actually tell me to look at the card closer. Anyway, it became obvious that he had totally forgotten our anniversary.

So, I put his token surprise gift and card on the dining room table and went upstairs to bed. Our DD followed me up and went to her room. After he had a beer or 2, or a mixed drink, I don't know which, he decided to come look for me because he wanted dinner probably. As he passed the table, I guess he noticed the card and package, apparently opened the card, and then I hear "Oh Fu....!" He came upstairs full of apologies, but I wasn't having it because there was no excuse for him forgetting. We got married within 2 weeks of buying our house, and we had talked about it being another year off the mortgage earlier in the week, anniversary was on the 1st of the month, plus it was a month that was important to us for another reason as well. So, there was no valid excuse to me.

I went on strike. Didn't cook for him or do laundry, and only spoke to him when absolutely necessary for a couple of weeks. Might sound petty, but it really hurt that he so totally forgot. I will say he didn't use his gift, a CD that he wanted but hadn't gotten around to buying yet, for months after.

He has never forgotten again, and I do have to give him credit that I got a heck of a Christmas present that year, then a really nice birthday present as well, the Christmas present a huge surprise as he came up with that one all on his own.

Believe me, I understand how hurt you are. Honestly, if it was me, at the very least, I'd text him and write Happy Anniversary to you too, then go for a drive or to a movie, call up a girlfriend and go to dinner, or something and don't sit at home. I probably wouldn't answer my phone for a while either, just text I'm out, will contact you later.

ETA: I got even madder the day after because he had the audacity to ask DD why she didn't remind him.

Oh, I guess I should add that we've been married for over 30 years now.

Last edited:
My wife and I have been together since 1989 or 1990 - neither of us is sure which. But I do know it was the end of March. We got married finally when the Supreme Court made it legal- it was mid April. After tax day by a few days, but neither of us is quite sure of the exact date. It was a Saturday. If I want to know the year, I have to ask Alexa about the court decision.

What I do know is that we have been through both good times and tough times over 30+ years. We don’t do a very good job of celebrating anniversaries or birthdays, but we have many years of memories and a lot of love.

Don’t let the details interfere with the important thing - you love each other.

I understand your disappointment and the way you are feeling. But, has he done that before? How long have you been married? How long has the tradition of a different, new resto every year been going on? I'm pretty sure I would have made some kind of sarcastic or passive-aggressive comment at the point where he said he was planning on going to the bar. Not saying that my approach would be good. ;)

I'm tempted to say to use medtran's suggestion. It's what appeals most to me. But, please do consider Silversage's post too. She is giving the kind approach and kindness should never be forgotten. Good luck with whatever approach you take. Sending positive vibes and (((hugs))).

Is he a good husband otherwise? Have you been together a really long time? I am so sorry this happened to you, I am sure he will feel horrible once he realizes and will make it up to you in spades. Chin up!

The problem arises if he doesn't realize. How long does one wait? At what point is too late to mention it without risking a fight about "why didn't you mention it sooner?"

Its worse when they actually know but say, "Sorry I didn't get you anything." That's been a few birthdays for me. But since he's so great on so many days with no occasion, that's an easy one to overlook. Granted there's been some crappy days/weeks over the years. It's gotten better as of late. Ups and downs after 25 years.

my wife and I often can't agree on when it was or for how long we've been married and we've both often been wrong at the same time.

I wouldn't read too much into one event if he still treats you well.

Only you can decide if this is a simple case of forgetfulness or a symptom of some larger issue.
1693394360812.jpeg

I wouldn’t mention it.

In the future, I would mention upcoming events and contribute ideas on how best to observe them.

Every 29th of August, me and Hubby have a romantic dinner at a restaurant of his choice; it is usually a surprise and it's fun to go to a new place every time (he has excellent taste in restaurants). Tonight, at 5pm, I was expecting him to tell me where we were going. He didn't and I got suspicious. I hinted at it, saying "are we doing anything tonight?" and he replied with, "no, I was planning on going to the bar later". I'm utterly crushed. He chose alcohol over me. What do I do? What do I say? Feeling like I'm Un-Loved Linda.
So what happened?

Only you can decide if this is a simple case of forgetfulness or a symptom of some larger issue.
View attachment 65766
I wouldn’t mention it.

In the future, I would mention upcoming events and contribute ideas on how best to observe them.
Clearly @Aunt Bea you are a woman that uses the good sense you were born with.

We don't actually celebrate a DAY, but we do stay kind and grateful for and to each other. I'd be pretty upset if someone picked drinking with their pals over time with me 3 days a week.

Update: I realised I was overreacting. Hubby has been up to his chin in office work lately which must be quite stressful. We did talk about it - he seemed genuinely upset and apologised, and he took me to Fleming’s Steakhouse to make up for it. I had a lovely ribeye! Ended the night telling me he how much he loved me. Shocked I could've let my momentary anger get in the way of that. :wub:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom