Mangos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
attie said:
I guess we are as proud of our country as you are of yours and that's good eh!
As the saying goes "Wouldn't be dead for quids"

Hope you didn't take offense -- none intended at all!

"Wouldn't be dead for quids"??!! I have NO idea what that means !:unsure:

Mango chutnery

Mango chutney
This is an indian receipe. U can put a spoonful of the chutney, on top of Indian curries, or put it in sandwichs with cheese and meat or use it as a dip for popadums.

Here it is

Mango chutney

Ingredients
6 ripe mangoes, peeled and thinly sliced
310ml (1 and quarter cups) cider vinegar
250g (1 and a third cups) light brown sugar
45g fresh root ginger peeled and chopped
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt

Instructions
In a cooking pot, cook mangoes and vinegar over low heat for 10 mins. Stir in sugar, ginger, garilic and chilli and salt.
Increase heat, bring slowly to the boil, stirring well. Reduce heat, simmer 30 minutes. Stirr occassionally.
Let the chutney mature, in jars or tubs, for a month, before eating.

Mel

comment

A mango tree in the garden. That sounds so exotic to me. I have bought every mango, i have ever eaten. Never picked one off a tree
But i do have a plum tree outside. Maybe that would be exotic, to people from some countries.
Mel

If I remember right, in some tropical countries, even the flying foxes get snockered if the fruit they eat is over-ripe and has started to ferment.

Ayrton said:
Hope you didn't take offense -- none intended at all!

"Wouldn't be dead for quids"??!! I have NO idea what that means !:unsure:
None taken Ayrton, I was meaning that life is good for us down here, we are very laid back people and that saying means that we enjoy life.:)

There you go Mel, I've never seen a stone fruit tree [don't get around much] let alone a plum tree.

Those flying foxes are dreadfull creatures, they always seem to be able to pick out the fruit the night before you were going to pick it

Last edited:
:eek: OOOOOhhhhhh, mangoes, mangoes, mangoes! The fruit of India!
How it ever got over here to Venezuela is shrouded in mystery, but I've fallen in love with them. I haven't got a tree in my garden, but I've got three in front, one next door, two next door (the other side) two behind and one two doors down...
Mango chutney, mango jelly , mango pickle ( I just made 4 kilos today, if you like it:eek: HOT!)

What amazes me about Australia is how different things grow in the different states. I lived in Tasmania for thirty years, and of course, you couldn't even think about planting anything tropical, I had two fig trees, two peach trees and two different plum trees.

Mangoes here are expensive, unless you go to the Indian stores, and you can buy boxes of them very cheap. They are the yellow variety rather than the green/red. And they're delicious.

Best eaten as they are, in the bath!

Love mangoes. Quite possibly my favorite fruit, but that's such a tough choice. I think that's what inspired us to make some sort of mango product years ago so that we always had mangoes even when they were out of season. If memory serves correct, mangoes are one of the top 3 most popular fruits consumed in the world.

Chopstix said:
A very popular Thai dessert is Mango Sticky Rice (Khao nyeow mamuang). Basically it's sticky rice steamed and mixed with coconut milk and sugar. Delicious with mango slices.

That is one of my favorites, as well.

Add the mangos to a salad (with avacado and bacon), throw them in the blender and make a mango coconut Liquado, or a mango shrimp dish served with rice.

Last edited:
After living in US for about 17 + years there is still one thing I cannot get used to and that is the mangoes that are available here. They are just O.K. and nothing special. I guess people don't really know how the mangoes sold in Asia are.

The various varieties were mind boggling in India (atleast 6 or more that I can remember). Each has it's own different specialty. Some are good for pickling, some good for juicing and yes we make all sorts of stuff with mangoes. Still others just for cutting and eating.

The best mango hands down in the world has to be the Alphonso which come from the extremely steamy hot Konkan region of India. The bright orange skin and the bright yellow super sweet flesh (and it has no stringiness that most of the mangoes in America do) cannot be explained in words. You actually have to try it to believe it.

They are by no means cheap even in India but I really really hope that someday they will arrive to the west.

Yakuta you have my mouth watering. I almost want to buy a plane ticket to India just to try an Alphonso mango. Mango is one of my favorite fruits and I have only had the kind we can get here in America. I can not imagine how they could taste even better, but I have no doubt you are right.

Hi GB, I am going to India at the end of October for a month on business and the bummer is that the mango season is over so I will not get to try that Alphonso that I have been craving for 12 years (that was the last time I visited India). I guess my luck :) . I guess I will have to settle trying some other yummy fruits (if my now westernized tummy can handle) like custard apples (which are only found in the carribean here), lychees and palm fruit which should be available this time of the year.

We do a lot of business with India as well and it is somewhat likely that I would be asked to go over for at least a few weeks at some point. If they ask me to go I will gladly say yes and hope that it is in the right season for the Alphonso's.

Mmmm... I can only dream of those fresh locally grown and ripen tropical fruits... I am sure it would be the same thing, even with bananas and pineapples, too. I can only imagine your pining Yakuta, but feel sorry for those of us who have never been lucky to experience such nature's treat!!

I really hope one day I will have that opportunity.

Urmaniac, I get the same feeling when I see the tomatoes, fresh basil and not to mention the aged parmesean and other yummy cheeses that come from Italy.

It's good that some of the Italian goodies have made it to the US. I guess it would have been a huge loss not to have experienced the nutty and delish cheeses from Italy.

Asians are fiercely proud of their own country's mangoes and would get into arguments about it. The Indians believe they have the best mangoes. The Filipinos, Thais and others think the same thing! That's why my husband, whose Asian team is having their annual meeting in Bangkok next month, is organizing a mango blind taste test as a fun extracurricular activity. Each one from a different country will bring their country's best mangoes. There'll be a panel of blindfolded tasters. To lend credibility to the exercise, the test will be administered by the regional market research person. Is that interesting or what?! I'll report back on what happens. :chef:

Yakuta said:
Urmaniac, I get the same feeling when I see the tomatoes, fresh basil and not to mention the aged parmesean and other yummy cheeses that come from Italy.

It's good that some of the Italian goodies have made it to the US. I guess it would have been a huge loss not to have experienced the nutty and delish cheeses from Italy.

we've finished our mango season too, Yakuta, although there are some varieties which last until December... Hope you can find them in India; there's nothing more hedonistic that eating a slice of mango and having the juice dribble down your chin!!

Chopstix said:
Asians are fiercely proud of their own country's mangoes and would get into arguments about it. The Indians believe they have the best mangoes. The Filipinos, Thais and others think the same thing! That's why my husband, whose Asian team is having their annual meeting in Bangkok next month, is organizing a mango blind taste test as a fun extracurricular activity. Each one from a different country will bring their country's best mangoes. There'll be a panel of blindfolded tasters. To lend credibility to the exercise, the test will be administered by the regional market research person. Is that interesting or what?! I'll report back on what happens. :chef:

Oh boy...that sure will be interesting!! I can imagine some VERY hurt feelings when one's own mango is deemed to be inferior.:rolleyes: :) And someone's will be.:( :chef:
Dont forget to let us know the results!!

Hi Chopstick, yes the blind taste does sound intriguing. Please do report back the results. If anything tops the Alphonso I would like to know because I would certainly like to try it at some point in my life. I did not think anything can be better than an Alphonso as far as mangoes are concerned but if there is I can't even imagine what it would taste like (I am sure it would be an experience not to be missed from a tasting perspective and I would have to add it to my list of must trys at some point in my life).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom