Marvellous Microwaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missM

Cook
I know that there are many appliances that have taken over from the MW, but I still use mine for more than defrosting, as most of my friends and family tell me is the only thing they use their for. I have loved mine for a long time:)

Some years ago, we lost everything in a major personal disaster and because of the circumstances of the disaster, insurance company decided not to pay. So there we were. Clothes we stood up in and the wreckage.

Cleaned up the wreckage and bought another house; interest rates were 18% at the time, so house was as cheap as we could find. Among things, the oven didn't work, there was only one hotplate that was operational and THAT gave up soon after we moved in.

I bought a microwave and an electric frypan and that's what I managed with for the next few years. I learned to cook - re-learned -with the microwave.

"Roasts" - chickens, beef and lamb, pointy bits shielded with aluminium foil - were slathered with honey and soy sauce, garlic or rosemary - soy for colour and honey to make it all stick - so that they looked like the real thing. "Roast' vetables were deep fried in the frypan. All other vegies were microwaved.

Instructions at the time, said that salt should not be used in MW cooking, so we gave up salt in vegies, never to use it again. And we soon got used to that - steaming all veggies.

Roasts, soups, and casseroles, stews and chocolate cake - even the first Christmas - a whole turkey - was a big MW!!- can't buy that size now unless it is a commercial model,... all were cooked in the MW. I never mastered the biscuits...cookies to you in the US.

I now have all the appliances that any cook could want, but there was one thing I learned and still use ... if you want to make a superb sauce, - white, bechemel, brown gravy or whatever... the microwave is the perfect vehicle. All you need apart from the ingredients is a whisk. No more standing there sitrring and stirring and hoping that the whole thing won't curdle:).

Used properly, you can do a great deal with them. Tonight, after a day's shopping in the city, came home and whacked together braised steak, tomatoes and onions. Steak was 'budget' fillet, inedible if grilled or fried, but with the addition of a tin of tomatoes - enzimes break down the fibre - , sliced onions, garlic and a stock made from low fat, gluten free powder, cornstarch and water, it was wonderfully tasty and tender.

Anyone else LOVE their microwave? I'd like to have your recipes.

:)MM

i totally agree with you. i use the micro for many cooking things. all my veg. are cooked in it. use less water and cook quick. keeps color and tastes great. i melt butter, chocolate. make regular oatmeal. reheat left overs, help water to temp. for yeast bread. a lot more than i can think of now. rarely defrost in it. soften ice cream. oh my goodness, i couldn't do with out it

Back
Top Bottom