Pics of your own food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a few pics of my own, mostly of stuff I've experimented with over the years. Let's see, I think I'll first put up my rendition of sushi. It's made with rice, avocado and imitation crab. I used rice paper instead of nori, simply because I don't care for nori. Poppy seeds sprinkled on top.
Looks good Linda.

I have a few pics of my own, mostly of stuff I've experimented with over the years. Let's see, I think I'll first put up my rendition of sushi. It's made with rice, avocado and imitation crab. I used rice paper instead of nori, simply because I don't care for nori. Poppy seeds sprinkled on top.

Nice composition! The shot is a little soft, but for a Sony CyberShot point-n-shoot, not bad. You shot at 1/25-second shutter speed, which contributed to the blur. The aperture was 3.5, which I imagine is wide open on that camera. You had the ISO set at 400, so you might want to try 800. That's probably the maximum ISO I would go with that camera.

Again, nice staging and composition.

Here is a slightly tweaked version. Some color correction and sharpening.

CD

Attachments

• Linda's Sushi.jpg
    Linda's Sushi.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 113
Looks good, Linda! Great pic, too.

I also prefer rice paper over nori. :)

Cool, that makes me feel better because when I tell people I love sushi, I just don't like nori, they tend to look at me like I've got 2 heads :neutral:

Looks good Linda.

Nice composition! The shot is a little soft, but for a Sony CyberShot point-n-shoot, not bad. You shot at 1/25-second shutter speed, which contributed to the blur. The aperture was 3.5, which I imagine is wide open on that camera. You had the ISO set at 400, so you might want to try 800. That's probably the maximum ISO I would go with that camera.

Again, nice staging and composition.

Here is a slightly tweaked version. Some color correction and sharpening.

CD

Wow, that looks purdy. And you seem to know more about my camera than I do :LOL:

Here's another one of my creations... a BLT pizza. I had an amazing BLT pizza at a pizza place once, so I decided to start making my own at home so I could control the ingredients (the pizza shop puts WAY too much mayo on theirs). The dough is from scratch and, as gross as this may seem to some people, once the pizza is done and I pull it out to add the chopped lettuce, I stick it back in the oven for a few minutes because I like the lettuce still crispy, but slightly wilted.

I'm making one tonight, in fact (which is what made me think of this picture) because I haven't made one in months.

Attachments

• DSC00198.jpg
    DSC00198.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 129
Your BLT Pizza looks yummy, Linda. I also like re-creating restaurant dishes and putting my own spin on them. Thanks for sharing! Hope to see more. :yum:

Cool, that makes me feel better because when I tell people I love sushi, I just don't like nori, they tend to look at me like I've got 2 heads :neutral:

Wow, that looks purdy. And you seem to know more about my camera than I do :LOL:

Every photo you take on a digital camera has embedded camera data. I can read that camera data in Photoshop. And yeah, I know a little bit about how cameras work. ;)

You really did do a good job of styling your food shot.

CD

Last edited:
Thanks, Cheryl :)

I've got others, but I'll post one more for tonight. These are one of Chef John's recipes... Baked Eggplant Sandwiches. I really enjoyed them. And now that I looked at these pictures, my camera really does take terrible pics. Either that or I just don't know how to adjust the lighting/exposure when using it.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/231010/chef-johns-baked-eggplant-sandwiches/

Attachments

• Chef John's Eggplant Sandwiches.jpg
    Chef John's Eggplant Sandwiches.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 118
Every photo you take on a digital camera has embedded camera data. I can read that camera data in Photoshop. And yeah, I know a little bit about how cameras work. ;)

You really did do a good job of styling your food shot.

CD

Thank you :wub:

I've had that camera for several years now and, by the looks of my pictures, it's obvious I don't really know how to use it other than "point and shoot."

Thank you :wub:

I've had that camera for several years now and, by the looks of my pictures, it's obvious I don't really know how to use it other than "point and shoot."

From what I can see, you just need more light. Brighter light. You are at the limits of your camera's abilities with that amount of light. The color is off, too, but that may be due to there not being enough light for the computer in your camera to deal with.

Modern point-and-shoot cameras, as well as high-end smartphones, can do a lot, but they have limits. Low light is the most difficult thing for these new-age cameras to deal with.

CD

From what I can see, you just need more light. Brighter light. You are at the limits of your camera's abilities with that amount of light. The color is off, too, but that may be due to there not being enough light for the computer in your camera to deal with.

Modern point-and-shoot cameras, as well as high-end smartphones, can do a lot, but they have limits. Low light is the most difficult thing for these new-age cameras to deal with.

CD

I have a setting on the camera that uses an actual flash, which will make the pictures brighter. I don't use it very often, though. Obviously :rolleyes:

After I lost my SLR in the divorce (long story), I switched to smaller cameras. I've used a series of Sony Cybershot cameras. I currently have a DSC W290. It takes really good photos and is versatile in the settings available.

I haven't used it in some time as I've found my iPhone camera takes really good photos in most cases. When we went on a cruise year ago, the iPhone was my only camera and I wasn't sorry I left the Sony at home.

For food photos, strong room light and no flash is a better way to go for me. My MacBook Air lets me do some basic photo editing to adjust color/exposure/etc.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_5418.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_5418.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 107
After I lost my SLR in the divorce (long story), I switched to smaller cameras. I've used a series of Sony Cybershot cameras. I currently have a DSC W290. It takes really good photos and is versatile in the settings available.

I haven't used it in some time as I've found my iPhone camera takes really good photos in most cases. When we went on a cruise year ago, the iPhone was my only camera and I wasn't sorry I left the Sony at home.

For food photos, strong room light and no flash is a better way to go for me. My MacBook Air lets me do some basic photo editing to adjust color/exposure/etc.

I rarely use the camera on my phone, unless it's to text someone a picture of something I want them to see.

You know what I really miss? My 35mm. An actual camera that - heaven forbid - you need to drop the film to have it developed. I used to take so many pictures because I loved putting them into photo albums. Now that everything is digital, I don't bother taking that many pics because they either stay on my digital camera or, when I upload pics from the digicam to my computer, they just stay stuck in a folder on my computer somewhere and never really mean anything because they're rarely seen by anyone else.

Nice pizza, btw, despite the pepperoni. I'm one of those weirdos who can't stand the stuff :LOL:

I have a setting on the camera that uses an actual flash, which will make the pictures brighter. I don't use it very often, though. Obviously :rolleyes:

I use "flash," but not on-camera flash. It is not where you want your light coming from for food. It makes it look two-dimensional.

CD

I rarely use the camera on my phone, unless it's to text someone a picture of something I want them to see.

You know what I really miss? My 35mm. An actual camera that - heaven forbid - you need to drop the film to have it developed. I used to take so many pictures because I loved putting them into photo albums. Now that everything is digital, I don't bother taking that many pics because they either stay on my digital camera or, when I upload pics from the digicam to my computer, they just stay stuck in a folder on my computer somewhere and never really mean anything because they're rarely seen by anyone else.

Nice pizza, btw, despite the pepperoni. I'm one of those weirdos who can't stand the stuff :LOL:

As a professional photographer for over 30 years, I love digital, and would not want to go back.

However, it can make you lazy, since you are not paying a bunch of money to take 36 photos that take at least an hour, and a drive in the car, to develop and print.

But, with an iPhone and a basic digital photo editing software on your computer, you can get some pretty decent results -- better than you could with film cameras 30-years ago.

CD

I have dinner early - usually by 3 or maybe 4PM - and my dining room usually has plenty of natural light for pics. Once in a while I need to use the settings to adjust the lighting after I take the pic. I don't have photo editing software - just what's on Windows.

Natural lighting works best for me, as I'm lazy and just want to get a decent pic as I'm sitting in front of my meal before it gets cold. :ermm::LOL: I use my phone - Galaxy 7.

I'm always inspired by each and every pic here!

Here's a recent one - last month, I think - with natural lighting.

Lentil and veggie soup

Attachments

• Lentil, veggie, and Italian sausage soup.jpg
    Lentil, veggie, and Italian sausage soup.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I have dinner early - usually by 3 or maybe 4PM - and my dining room usually has plenty of natural light for pics. Once in a while I need to use the settings to adjust the lighting after I take the pic. I don't have photo editing software - just what's on Windows.

Natural lighting works best for me, as I'm lazy and just want to get a decent pic as I'm sitting in front of my meal before it gets cold. :ermm::LOL: I use my phone - Galaxy 7.

I'm always inspired by each and every pic here!

Here's a recent one - last month, I think - with natural lighting.

Lentil and veggie soup

I have a professional studio in my house, but like you, I don't want the food I spent hours preparing and cooking to get cold while I take pictures of it, so I toss it in front of some lights, and shoot -- then eat it!

CD

As a professional photographer for over 30 years, I love digital, and would not want to go back....

I agree 100%. Taking dozens of pictures then waiting for the results only to find you messed up the shot and its too late to take another. No thanks.

Back
Top Bottom