Pics of your own food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree 100%. Taking dozens of pictures then waiting for the results only to find you messed up the shot and its too late to take another. No thanks.

Imagine doing that for a living. :ohmy:

Besides, digital quality has surpassed film quality. My Hasselblad film cameras from the 80s are no match for my current digital cameras.

CD

Sometimes I take the picture with the flash and without to see which is better. By the time I'm eating supper, it's usually dark out, so I'm using electric, room lighting.

This one is taken with flash:

33814-albums294-picture7739.jpg

And this one was taken without flash:

33814-albums294-picture7740.jpg

I agree 100%. Taking dozens of pictures then waiting for the results only to find you messed up the shot and its too late to take another. No thanks.
Especially annoying when your photographer husband uses the only full bathroom in the apartment to print and dry his prints! Nothing like waiting for the prints to dry off enough to remove from the tile walls so you can finally use the shower. :LOL:

As a professional photographer for over 30 years, I love digital, and would not want to go back.

However, it can make you lazy, since you are not paying a bunch of money to take 36 photos that take at least an hour, and a drive in the car, to develop and print.

But, with an iPhone and a basic digital photo editing software on your computer, you can get some pretty decent results -- better than you could with film cameras 30-years ago.

CD

Thanks, CD, for all the tips and advice. I appreciate it :)

I have dinner early - usually by 3 or maybe 4PM - and my dining room usually has plenty of natural light for pics. Once in a while I need to use the settings to adjust the lighting after I take the pic. I don't have photo editing software - just what's on Windows.

Natural lighting works best for me, as I'm lazy and just want to get a decent pic as I'm sitting in front of my meal before it gets cold. :ermm::LOL: I use my phone - Galaxy 7.

I'm always inspired by each and every pic here!

Here's a recent one - last month, I think - with natural lighting.

Lentil and veggie soup

Oh how I love lentils. And I love vegetable soup. I make something similar often and it's comfort in a bowl. That's beautiful.

Sometimes I take the picture with the flash and without to see which is better. By the time I'm eating supper, it's usually dark out, so I'm using electric, room lighting.

This one is taken with flash:

33814-albums294-picture7739.jpg

And this one was taken without flash:

33814-albums294-picture7740.jpg

Ohhh... okay, I see what you're all talking about now. The top photo looks more like my own pictures. So maybe I have flash on permanently and I'm not aware of it. I don't really know how to operate all the settings on that camera.

And to luckytrim, that pork loin looks amazing!

Last edited:
Especially annoying when your photographer husband uses the only full bathroom in the apartment to print and dry his prints! Nothing like waiting for the prints to dry off enough to remove from the tile walls so you can finally use the shower. :LOL:

Oh yeah, I do NOT miss the hours spent in the darkroom (AKA: the bathroom) to develop pictures that I may have to spend hours in the darkroom (AKA: bathroom) to get just right.

These days, I can sit in my office, in a comfy chair, and take a RAW digital file, and make it perfect in five minutes. And, my hands don't smell like a$$ when I am done.

CD

Oh yeah, I do NOT miss the hours spent in the darkroom (AKA: the bathroom) to develop pictures that I may have to spend hours in the darkroom (AKA: bathroom) to get just right.

These days, I can sit in my office, in a comfy chair, and take a RAW digital file, and make it perfect in five minutes. And, my hands don't smell like a$$ when I am done.

CD
Oh yeah, adjustments/corrections are soooo much easier digitally. I remember fixing underexposed stuff by leaving it under the enlarger longer. And then, you had to use a cutout made of cardboard or paper on a thin stick to wave around and protect the areas that would lose too much detail because they got too dark that way. The other thing, once you had done all the fiddling to get the picture just right, you only had that one just-right print. If you wanted another one, you had to do the fixing all over again.

I was surprised when my little grandkids asked for "Polaroid" cameras for Xmas. These little Fuji Instax Mini 9 cameras produce tiny credit card sized photos. I didn't realize these cameras were pretty popular among kids. Now they're asking for more film.....and they ain't cheap, and I warned their parents about that too.. :LOL:

I'm glad you figured out what I was talking about. I haven't done it since I lived in Copenhagen (I moved to Canada in 1974). I'm sure I used to know a word for it, in Danish. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Dodging and burning. Those tools still exist in Photoshop, but you can see the effects live, as you use those tools. And, you can undo them with a "click."

As a pro, the best part is that I can see what I just shot, with a histogram, right after every shot. I don't have to trust a "Polaroid" that is a rough facsimile of my actual exposure, or wait for the "chromes" to come back from the lab.

With that preview and a histogram (especially the histogram), I know exactly what I have right after I shoot it. When I am shooting in a studio, I can actually tether my camera to a laptop Mac and see the image before I shoot, and hit the return button on my Mac to take the picture. So, I can shoot the picture, open it in Photoshop, and know immediately wether or not I got what I wanted.

So, do I long for the "good ole' days?" NO! :LOL:

CD

+ 1....! :yum: I totally thought I responded to MsM's pics - guess I was drooling over them and had a flame out. :ermm::LOL:

Again...loving all the fave pics here in one place! Thanks for starting this, Linda.

When I am shooting in a studio, I can actually tether my camera to a laptop Mac and see the image before I shoot, and hit the return button on my Mac to take the picture. So, I can shoot the picture, open it in Photoshop, and know immediately wether or not I got what I wanted.

Windows can do the same thing. We had that setup when I worked at the medical school and I took portrait photos of new faculty.

I know you know this - just mentioning it for people who aren't part of the Mac cult.

Last edited:
Did everyone go blind?

Mama mia that's some nice brasciole!!!

And lasagna, and meataballs (only thing: yours are small), anda saus-eeg.

And then,a stuffed choke?

Marone a mi!

+ 1....! :yum: I totally thought I responded to MsM's pics - guess I was drooling over them and had a flame out. :ermm::LOL:

Again...loving all the fave pics here in one place! Thanks for starting this, Linda.

Thank you.

I like small bite size meatballs. I like the nice browned flavor per meatball. I place them in oven on convection roast to brown then simmer in sauce.

Windows can do the same thing. We had that setup when I worked at the medical school and I took portrait photos of new faculty.

I know you know this - just mentioning it for people who aren't part of the Mac cult.

Yes, you can do the same thing on Windoze. I was just referring to the operating system that I know -- the one that almost everyone in my profession uses. ;)

BTW, no matter how much you torture me, I will never give up the secret Mac cult handshake. :cool:

CD

Back
Top Bottom