Potato recipe. Garlic prepared how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The way I see it is to be peeled, maybe a little smashed, but kept whole in general. If you grate it the garlic pieces will likely be too small, and may burn giving a bitter taste. Usually when I make roasted potatoes , I put the potatoes , and all the other ingredients in a large bowl ( which has a cover). I cover the bowl, gently roll and shake it until all the potatoes are covered evenly with oil and seasoning, then dump the contents onto the baking sheet, spreading them out evenly.

The way I see it is to be peeled, maybe a little smashed, but kept whole in general. If you grate it the garlic pieces will likely be too small, and may burn giving a bitter taste. Usually when I make roasted potatoes , I put the potatoes , and all the other ingredients in a large bowl ( which has a cover). I cover the bowl, gently roll and shake it until all the potatoes are covered evenly with oil and seasoning, then dump the contents onto the baking sheet, spreading them out evenly.
This.

I mean I'm not like stabbing garlic shards into the potatoes? I don't know how these would go together.

I think it is self-explanatory. But no, you are not stabbing little shards of garlic into the potatoes.
You leave the garlic cloves whole and roast them along with the potatoes. R.Ray has chosen mini potatoes that will cook faster, thus helping to keep the garlic from burning.
Try to choose fat garlic cloves. Peeled but I would not even smash them.
Note the recipe serves 4 and she specifies 6 garlics so there will be enough garlic to serve all (and extra for the cook)

I found this Rachel Ray recipe. Am I cooking garlic alongside the potatoes or is it to be grated or something mixed in oil?
If the whole garlic is not your thing, just use garlic powder and do what Larry suggested above with the oil (or meted butter) and seasoning

Here is a pic of baby potatoes I roasted ( at about 425F for 15 minutes, flipping the taters, and rotating the pan, then another 15). The garlic was slightly smashed but still relatively intact. You can see the two upper circled garlics, how 'burned ' they got. The garlic left the potatoes with a subtle garlic flavor. if I would have cut them thin or minced them, they likely would have burned a lot quicker, leading to a more burned, bitter garlic flavor, which is not what I was looking for.
***My oven cooks a little unevenly, which is why I had to rotate the pan midway***
*** I also pre-boiled the potatoes for about 10 minutes prior to roasting. These potatoes were smaller than a golfball, then cut in half ( except the really little ones, which I left whole)***

Attachments

• garlic.png
    garlic.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Yeah definitely more likely to just add garlic powder to other seasonings as the potatoes are all I'm really looking to cook.

Some recipes may instruct you to sauté or roast garlic cloves along with the potatoes. In this case, you might toss whole or minced garlic cloves with the potatoes before cooking them. The garlic will become soft and infuse its flavor into the dish as it cooks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom