Prayers, support for our " Buddy" - Maverick !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're in my thoughts, too, Maverick, for getting through this as quickly as possible and with as few complications as possible. You'll be up and running in no time.

And what a nice, thoughtful, caring thread to start, Barb L!:)

Prayers from Texas too!!
img_556487_0_11c7bf1e8687c02435887c54fd2dd494.gif

All the best for the op Buddy. You will be sitting up in no time showing your kids your war wounds. Hope your mother gets there before you get sedated, just to ease your mind. And like Pacanis, I hope the food is good!!!

"See" you when you wake up. Take care.

A little late...., but thoughts are coming from SWFLA for a quick and speedy recovery.

Btw, listen to the docs on the COPD...I've had it since '92 and it ain't no fun.

Cold?

I don't want to make you feel worse in any way but could you tell me if the gowns still have the opening in the back? Don't you think they could change that someway? i will never forget when I was in hospital and got up to go to bathroom sure enough the back opened wide and I felt a very cold draft. I didn't really wonder if someone saw me or not. Those ties sure don't do good job and the colors! I often think they could ask what your favorite color is so that you would at least feel like you cared. I know the hospitals could do something to make your stay little more comfortable. Do you have roommate or roommates? Are they smoking? Ones in my room could smoke. I thought that was kind of dumb. But then that was long time ago.

Whatever, I hope your stay is comfortable and that you have roommates that don't snore and will let you rest. Do they still come in at 5 in morning wake you up and give you your meds? I ask these questions so in case I have to go in, I will have some idea if it is same torment I had before. Maybe my insurance at that time requested that I be tortured to some degree so that I would want to get out fast. I think they may do these things.

Prayers are being said on your behalf. May you regain your strength quickly and all things return to normal with food you enjoy. Be strong and keep the courage. Be sure to keep us up to date on progress and if you liked anything about being in the hospital. Oh, hope the nurses practice the Golden Rule. they could be in your place.

I don't want to make you feel worse in any way but could you tell me if the gowns still have the opening in the back? Don't you think they could change that someway? i will never forget when I was in hospital and got up to go to bathroom sure enough the back opened wide and I felt a very cold draft. I didn't really wonder if someone saw me or not. Those ties sure don't do good job and the colors! I often think they could ask what your favorite color is so that you would at least feel like you cared.

Not Maverick here, but I've spent quite a bit of time in the hospital the past six years and I've learned a few things. First, ask for a second gown and put it on like a robe, so it covers your back, or, if the color is important to you, ask for what you want or bring your own robe from home.

I know the hospitals could do something to make your stay little more comfortable. Do you have roommate or roommates? Are they smoking? Ones in my room could smoke. I thought that was kind of dumb. But then that was long time ago.

Hospital nurses are overworked these days - the people who are hospitalized are sicker than they used to be. If there's something someone can do to make it more comfortable for you, don't hesitate to ask. When they have several very sick people to take care of, it's not fair to expect them to somehow know what you want or need :)

I believe smoking is not allowed in most hospitals these days.

Do they still come in at 5 in morning wake you up and give you your meds? I ask these questions so in case I have to go in, I will have some idea if it is same torment I had before. Maybe my insurance at that time requested that I be tortured to some degree so that I would want to get out fast. I think they may do these things.

I'm sure this varies by hospital, but when they come in early in the morning to take blood, give meds, etc., it's generally so they can get the results back so that when the doctors see you, they will have as much information about your condition as possible in order to make the best decisions on your care and treatment. Sometimes the timing of the medication is important to keep a steady amount in your bloodstream. It has nothing to do with insurance, and no one wants to hang around in a hospital, so it's not about making you want to leave ;) HTH.

GotGarlic

Thank you for your information. Sure helps. As I said, haven't been in for while and would like to know what to expect. Isn't this terrible? To worry about going into hospital? Should be grateful someone there who wants to get you better. I only hear from different relatives about the main results if they are doing okay. I thank you GotGarlic for your time. I realize may sound trite to some but better to be informed than as you said not ask for help. glad the smoking changed. I didn't like it when I just had baby and mother next to me kept smoking. How cruel was that? Nurse said no policy against it. Glad times have changed. Thanks again.

Those were good questions ITK. GG already answered, so I am just adding a little. The last time I was in the hospital they offered me two gowns, like GG mentioned. That definitely did improve things!

All the hospitals I have been in lately (visiting--I don't go to the hospital a lot! lol) have a no-smoking policy. Even if Buddy's hospital allows smoking (which I doubt), they wouldn't allow anyone to smoke in his room, since that is something that he has been forbidden to do.

I had to laugh at your last question--not because it was funny (because it is all too true!), but because of what my mom had happen. When she was in the hospital after giving birth to my sister almost 49 years ago, the nurse actually woke her up from a sound sleep to give her a sleeping pill!!!

Another thing that is different about some hospitals now is that some of them are actually starting to serve almost edible food!

:)Barbara

Another thing that is different about some hospitals now is that some of them are actually starting to serve almost edible food!

That reminds me - in both of the hospitals I've been in, they allowed friends and family members to bring in food, as long as it conformed to the diet they had you on. I had people bringing me lunch and dinner almost every day - breakfast was the only thing that was edible (scrambled eggs and biscuits) and DH brought drinkable coffee from home! :cool:

The thing is, the food looked and smelled great, but had no flavor whatsoever. Very disappointing.

I just spent the night in the hospital with my roomate (neither him nor I had stayed in the hosptial since we were young kids and don't remember those times) and they never made him change into a gown. He wore his street clothes the whole time. Although it would have made for a good picture if he had to wear the gown!

I wanted to come online and thank everyone for their kind words and support. The surgery went well, took about 5 1/2 hours I am told. I am back home now resting, they have nurses visiting me twice a week and a physical therapist once a week. Can't do much, can't even drive for about a month they said.
Thank god for pain meds!
To answer a couple of questions I saw asked, no smoking allowed in the hospital, they gave me a patch. Yes, I had to wear those silly gowns that just don't cover quite right, especially right when you need them to, LOL.
Mostly, I am just really really tired all the time. My mom did make it out the day of the surgery, and went back Friday. It was great seeing her again and having her there. I also heard from several aunts and uncles, so that was nice as well.
Again, thanks to everyone for their support and prayers.

Woo Hoo Buddy! We're so glad to get this excellent news. Rest and recover and drop in here whenever you're up to it. (BTW, the pictures of you in the silly gown didn't come through - you might want to check on that.)

Yo Maverick...

You da Man!!!

Follow all the doctor's orders, and you'll be back up to speed, all systems go, and ready for launch in no time!!!!

Stay in Touch!!

Blue Skies!!!

:zorro:
Hey! great to see you back, Buddy!
Kick back, chill out, heal up, don't give your therapists too hard a time, but I'm sure they've heard it all anyway and that's what they are there for, and stop by and chat whenever your awake enough to.
And we won't even mind the demerol haze :LOL:

I'm so glad the surgery went well and that you are now at home. Take advantage of this time to get lots of rest. Rest your brain a little, but then wake it up and keep it active reading good books, doing crossword puzzles, etc. :cool: And of course check in here whenever you can.

Continued prayers as you continue to gain strength.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom