Reviving a non stick skillet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
We have a non stick Scanpan skillet, been in regular use for 8 years. It was losing it's non stick capability, I figured it was just time, non stick doesn't last forever. Then I read about soaking them in a lye solution. I got lye crystal drain opener, dumped a bunch in a 5 gallon pail with about 4 gallons of water, just enough to submurge it. It came out like new, and works like new as well. The more you know.

@Andy M. mentioned using oven cleaner. I have to try one of those methods soon. I have a ScanPan skillet that I must admit, is not as non-stick as it used to be. The lye method sounds scary. Did the soak do anything to the uncoated bottom of the pan?

I also mentioned this on a thread someone had some NS pans losing the NS quality of the pan. Just using cheap oven cleaner (basically lye) on some old bread pans, NS, but not coming off - just not non-stick anymore, and it worked for me! It seems grease just burns on it slowly, and eventually it gets a layer, that's not very NS anymore.

Agree with taxy, it does sound scary when you think of it as lye.
On the other hand, if you're brave enough to use it in the oven - why not on a pan?

@Andy M. mentioned using oven cleaner. I have to try one of those methods soon. I have a ScanPan skillet that I must admit, is not as non-stick as it used to be. The lye method sounds scary. Did the soak do anything to the uncoated bottom of the pan?

I recommended using oven cleaner on a non-stick pan?

Agree with taxy, it does sound scary when you think of it as lye.
On the other hand, if you're brave enough to use it in the oven - why not on a pan?
I don't use commercial oven cleaner and I most certainly don't use drain opener in the oven.

Last edited:
I don't use commercial oven cleaner and I most certainly don't use drain opener in the oven.
Neither do I considering that since somewhere in the 70's or maybe 80's I've always had a self-clean oven.
But I was never known for a clean oven before or even with them. Now I plain don't even pretend to. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom