Removing non stick coating from a skillet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have aluminum, stainless steel, cast iron, enameled, non-stick, glass, stoneware, clay. Love them all.

I only cook in them. I don't store foods in them.

They are put in the cans, sealed and pressure cooked. Killing two birds with one stone.
I imagine if they were cooked then pressure cooked, they would pretty well be mush.
You mean Progresso and Campbells chicken noodle soup ingredients are raw and then put into the cans and then cooked? How can that be? Same with a can of beans? They are raw and then cooked inside of the cans?

My grandma just used to can vegetables, she never canned (jarred, actually) any soups or foods like that. But I was referring to commercially canned products that are actually put inside of cans.

Okay, did some research, and apparently the foods are partially cooked before being canned. But the point is moot, since most canned foods are not canned in aluminum:

How Recyclable are Soup Cans? – RecycleNation

soup-cans
The soupcans consumers buy at the grocery store these days are made out of steel and tin. While the majority of the product is made of steel, soupcans also have a thin layer of tin coating on their insides, which stops them from corroding and keeps the soup fresh.

Okay, did some research, and apparently the foods are partially cooked before being canned. But the point is moot, since most canned foods are not canned in aluminum:
Well, it is actually. Although I agree most canned foods are not canned in aluminum. Aside from the metal used, how they are canned, I should imagine, depends entirely on the content.
Truthfully I never thought of soups, since I rarely if ever buy them. Oh dear, liar, liar, pants on fire - I just bought some for a casserole testing - Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Celery - although I rather imagine the soup is made ahead of time.
I was thinking more of fresh vegies, like green beans, etc. Doubling heating it is not going to affect them so much.
I have no idea what they add to pasta as in Chicken Noodle soups to keep them from going any mushier than they already are.

Well, it is actually. Although I agree most canned foods are not canned in aluminum. Aside from the metal used, how they are canned, I should imagine, depends entirely on the content.
Truthfully I never thought of soups, since I rarely if ever buy them. Oh dear, liar, liar, pants on fire - I just bought some for a casserole testing - Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Celery - although I rather imagine the soup is made ahead of time.
I was thinking more of fresh vegies, like green beans, etc. Doubling heating it is not going to affect them so much.
I have no idea what they add to pasta as in Chicken Noodle soups to keep them from going any mushier than they already are.
Yeah I don't eat canned veggies very often. My memories of them are mostly of my mother or grandmother opening a can of veggies and boiling it to death, so really wouldn't have mattered much if the companies cooked them before pressure cooking during canning cuz ma and gma were bound and determined there would be no chance of life for bacteria when they were done (or nutrients for that matter), by golly!

I accidentally got some on a curbside pickup order during the pandemic. They were canned lima beans so it was fine, I like 'em mushy, though I prefer cooking them from frozen or dry. I will buy canned beans on occasion when I am too lazy or it's short notice, and of course the cream of mushroom soups for tuna casserole.

And tuna fish is precooked of course. Can't remember when I last bought canned chicken but I know it's precooked as well. Been a decade or so since I purchased?

I think with the noodle soup, it's the type of noodle used. If I make chicken noodle soup at home and am using egg noodles (my favorite), I never add them to the big batch, only the small batch I am serving for that meal, otherwise they get totally swollen and mushy. There have still been times when I had a bowl or so leftover even then, and yeah, it wasn't the greatest the next day but I hate throwing away food so I ate it anyway. Now I have found that Gia Russa rotini noodles are a great stand-in and they tend to not get as mushy for some reason. They really hold up quite well the next day. Even still I prefer my noodles freshly cooked when I serve homemade soup.

I bought some fancy canned tuna. It was cooked in the can with absolutely nothing added to the tuna - one ingredient: tuna. Small amounts of tuna stuck to the can. It had produced some liquid while being cooked. It didn't taste special, so I wouldn't pay extra for it again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom