What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KGirl, I had a girlfriend, who when funds were limited she would buy a can of Spam. She would make cross marks on it, place a clove in each diamond, then pack it with brown sugar and place two slices on pineapple with cherries on it. She would pour some of the pineapple juice over it while it was baking.

Her newlywed husband loved it, so when finances became better for them, and the kids were old enough to eat it, she continued to make it well into when the kids left home.

I'd be willing to bet that you have a Sprouts not far from you.
Look in the cold case by the deli, with the Boar's Head products,
it's seems to me that they are the West Coast Distributors for
Taylor's Ham Pork Roll. Also, I saw in the deli case with the other cold cuts.
This HUGE thing that I'm guessing is for those folks who just
want a few slices.
I had enough leftover again to make sandwiches out of it.

I used "hard rolls" as DH calls them this go around. Last time I made Taylor's Ham, I used fresh bagels from this wonderful bakery we found in our new town.

I do plan to look for it... No Sprouts around here but, many stores carry Boar's Head products..
Thanks for letting me know... :)

KGirl, I had a girlfriend, who when funds were limited she would buy a can of Spam. She would make cross marks on it, place a clove in each diamond, then pack it with brown sugar and place two slices on pineapple with cherries on it. She would pour some of the pineapple juice over it while it was baking.

Her newlywed husband loved it, so when finances became better for them, and the kids were old enough to eat it, she continued to make it well into when the kids left home.

:LOL: My Mom did the same thing when I was a kid. She did this ONLY once! I remember my Dad had a cow, I'll never forget, he hated Spam. Funny though the first time I made Spam Musubi, he loved it, Mom did too and still requests it each time I come over :)

1/4 cup pork & Beans (VanCamp's of course), and a really good pork chop. Add to that a glass of milk, and later on, a swig of orange juice, with lots of pulp.

Kept me full and awake past lunch.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sunday brunch :yum:

img_1505633_0_91493a1d6ceb2862b7d502e0bdc8e772.jpg

Earlier in the week I made a recipe of waffles and cooked them in our Mickey Mouse waffle iron. The waffles were then delivered to our 4-year-old grandson who loves him some Mickey...anything.

Well, since I hadn't put the waffle iron away, Glenn and I feasted on Mickey Mouse waffles, sausage patties, OJ, and coffee.

Thank you, Ross. The bacon and fried hash browns don't measure up to the healthy criteria but it sure was good! :LOL::)

Last edited:
Thank you, kgirl and Princess. :)

That was a big meal for me - I don't see myself having much of a dinner this evening. Probably just the other half of the avocado. :)

Biscuits and Gravy

In the 80's I used to follow Jeff Smith "The Frugal Gourmet" on PBS.. He was later disgraced but, that's another story...

On one show he made Sausage Gravy.. I don't have the original recipe but I know I changed it up to my (and my family's) taste.. I use Italian sausage and half & half instead of plain pork sausage and milk..

It was the go to weekend breakfast for many years.. When my family spread out across the state and US, I pretty much stopped making it because it was more than we empty nesters could eat and we didn't want to eat it 3 days in a row for a number of reasons..

Reading through blogs which feature 'meals for 2' I came across "Biscuits and Gravy for Two".. It was a "duh on me" moment.. I used the bloggers quantities and my recipe and made that for Jeannie and me this morning..

Pleased to realize that we can have a breakfast we love and pretty much stopped enjoying..

Biscuits and Gravy rocks, at home... :yum:

In the 80's I used to follow Jeff Smith "The Frugal Gourmet" on PBS.. He was later disgraced but, that's another story...

On one show he made Sausage Gravy.. I don't have the original recipe but I know I changed it up to my (and my family's) taste.. I use Italian sausage and half & half instead of plain pork sausage and milk..

It was the go to weekend breakfast for many years.. When my family spread out across the state and US, I pretty much stopped making it because it was more than we empty nesters could eat and we didn't want to eat it 3 days in a row for a number of reasons..

Reading through blogs which feature 'meals for 2' I came across "Biscuits and Gravy for Two".. It was a "duh on me" moment.. I used the bloggers quantities and my recipe and made that for Jeannie and me this morning..

Pleased to realize that we can have a breakfast we love and pretty much stopped enjoying..

Biscuits and Gravy rocks, at home... :yum:

It is one of the easiest meals to make. And not just for breakfast either. Great for a quick Sunday night meal. I was introduced to it when I lived in Texas. Then when I came back home, I introduced tit o the rest of my family. A big hit to this day. My niece finally learned to make it for herself. It is now her favorite quick meal to cook for herself. I call it the Happy Meal.

...On one show he made Sausage Gravy.. I don't have the original recipe but I know I changed it up to my (and my family's) taste.. I use Italian sausage and half & half instead of plain pork sausage and milk..

It was the go to weekend breakfast for many years.. When my family spread out across the state and US, I pretty much stopped making it...
No matter how easy it is to make, I won't make it at home. It is my treat when we're back home in OH, since there seems to be a Bob Evans Restaurant on every-other corner. :) I enjoy their version, except the last time I had it it seemed a bit scant on the sausage. :glare: Nevertheless, I won't make it at home. Why, you might wonder? Because if I did, it would be my sitting area that would spread across the country. :ermm: :ohmy: :LOL:

The Grands biscuits, however, rock. We always have some left from the tube, but they're great the next day split, lightly toasted, and spread with some jam or jelly.

No matter how easy it is to make, I won't make it at home. It is my treat when we're back home in OH, since there seems to be a Bob Evans Restaurant on every-other corner. [emoji2] I enjoy their version, except the last time I had it it seemed a bit scant on the sausage. :glare: Nevertheless, I won't make it at home. Why, you might wonder? Because if I did, it would be my sitting area that would spread across the country. :ermm: :ohmy: [emoji38]

The Grands biscuits, however, rock. We always have some left from the tube, but they're great the next day split, lightly toasted, and spread with some jam or jelly.
Bob Evans, down on the farm! ???

:glare: Nevertheless, I won't make it at home. Why, you might wonder? Because if I did, it would be my sitting area that would spread across the country. :ermm: :ohmy: :LOL:.
That's why I stopped making the full recipe... :)

CG, we love Grands Biscuits so much I buy the value bag from the freezer case.
https://www.pillsbury.com/products/biscuits/grands-frozen-biscuits/buttermilk-20-count
This way, I can bake just the right amount of biscuits for us two.
IMHO, they come out bigger and are so good with just about anything at any meal.

Exactly... :)

Ross

Hm. All the talk about Grands biscuits, may have to get some.

We used to get them in the tube many eons ago. We called them whoppums.

I buy the Grands occasionally.

Even though I'm expecting it, it still scares the bejeebies out of me when I do the spoon press thing and the tube bursts open. :shock: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom