What's for Dinner, Monday, Sept 29, 2008?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yuk! I hate nuking food to defrost it. It turns it gray.
Thanks for the suggestion though. I just need to get them separated and they'll be OK on my aluminum defrosting plate.
Hmmm, maybe if I tried banging them on the counter....
:LOL:

sorry:( I actually never did it, but thought that I heard others say that it works well.
I will tell you this though, my sister told me to put anything that needs to be defrosted on an aluminum pan, it will defrost faster (brother-in-law is a metallurgist(sp?)
I do it all the time, it does indeed work!

Yes, Suzi. They were in a vacuum sealed bag from Omaha Steaks. I didn't notice anything but blood when I opened the seal up.
I was wondering if maybe I should have just submerged the whole thing in a bowl. Maybe between the water and the aluminum plate it defrosted too quickly?

sorry:( I actually never did it, but thought that I heard others say that it works well.
I will tell you this though, my sister told me to put anything that needs to be defrosted on an aluminum pan, it will defrost faster (brother-in-law is a metallurgist(sp?)
I do it all the time, it does indeed work!

They do. I use one of those black plates they used to advertise on TV. My mother bought me one years ago. I use it now more than I did the previous twenty years :LOL: Others on this site said a heavy pan will work, too.

have no clue right now. thawing chicken thigh. still have left over mashed potatoes. been hungry for fried okra. we will see. maybe just make breakfast, so quick and so good. :chef:

I made a sort of fried rice using cooked chicken, chorizo, carrots, peas, cooked rice, chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic and pesto. It tasted great.

so many of these meals sound so good to me that there are too many to showcase with quotes.
:LOL:

Pacanis, Sattie never got the recipe either.
Must have fallen in between the cracks, it's okay.
Just found that odd.
And for me, it's the 100+ year old black very black cast iron skillet for defrosting...

Attachments

• GarlicBeefNGreenBeanStirFry.jpg
    GarlicBeefNGreenBeanStirFry.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 171
settled on grilled cheese, choice of cheese.
pepper jack for me, cheddar for the old kid, mozz for the little 2.
my guess is dh will go for pepper jack, so it's all sliced for when he's ready.
:)
i love being a wife.
:)

Lemom chicken with olive oil and pepper, mashed potatoes with butter and Havarti dill cheese, green beans.

Last edited:
The gravy I made by deglazing the pan with chicken stock and apple juice (an after thought) was incredible. I'll have to remember that one. I learn more on this site every day and apply it to what I am cooking. Just by putting a bunch of stuff I read together. Thanks DC. :)

Attachments

• pork chops 9-29.JPG
    pork chops 9-29.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 177
That looks really good, Pacanis.

I made New Mexico Pork Chop Bake from a Tex-Mex cookbook - I sauteed onions, Anaheim peppers and garlic; browned pork chops; mixed rice, water, 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can Rotel, cumin, Mexican oregano and salt; and put it all together in a baking dish for about 1 hour. Also made a cast-iron skillet of jalapeno corn bread. It was my first time trying this recipe and it's a keeper - yum!

Mmmm, that sounds really good, GG! And thank you!

When making cornbread with added extras, like your jalapenos, do you just add it to the batter before you pour it in the skillet to be baked? Are the jar ones OK, or do you need the drier fresh ones?

I seriously have to give that a try sometime soon.

Thanks deelady!
I love Stouffers. I could never get a handle on cooking it though... I guess I always wanted to eat it too quick :LOL:

Mmmm, that sounds really good, GG! And thank you!

When making cornbread with added extras, like your jalapenos, do you just add it to the batter before you pour it in the skillet to be baked? Are the jar ones OK, or do you need the drier fresh ones?

I seriously have to give that a try sometime soon.

Hi, Pacanis. Yes, I stir it into the batter just before baking. I'd guess the jar ones would be fine - I'd pat them dry first. I used fresh because I have them in the garden :)

I made a chuck roast marinated in a creation of mine (panang curry paste, creamy peanut butter, brown sugar, and veggie oil), then pan seared and finished in the oven. Had it with mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans.
Definitely a hit, none left over LOL.

Back
Top Bottom