2019 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just put a brioche bread pudding into the t.o.

Now I want some of msmofet's cookies.. :yum:

Ross
I wish I could beam some to you.

Today I made:

Texas Sandies (pecan shortbread cookie)

texas_sandies_121719_IMG_6510.jpg

Pecan Puffs

pecan_puffs_121719_IMG_6508.jpg

I had planned to make a few more cookies but DD needed to make a tray up early for work...
That looks very tempting, msm. :yum: If you want to send some, I'll happily PM you my address. :cool: I'm kidding, of course. I haven't seen as many cookies as you've been baking since my great aunt Nana passed away in 1969. She used to bake well over a thousand of them every year, starting at Thanksgiving. Loaded into shirt boxes or 3# coffee cans (which I would cover with Christmas wrap so they looked like seasonal cookie boxes and tins), she would give them as her Christmas gifts to everyone each year. WAY better than a pair of sox!

What are pecan puffs? They look like what I call Mexican wedding cookies

I've seen them called Russian something or other cookies but I use a recipe called Pecan Puffs.

Ingredients:

1 stick butter (1/2 C.)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C. flour, sifted
2 TBSP. sugar
1 C. ground pecans
Powdered sugar

Last edited:
I would like to make 3 more kinds of cookies. But I'm not sure I will be able to. My hands and shoulders are aching from arthritis, carpal tunnel and bursitis. BUT I'm going to try anyway! :chef:

I've seen them called Russian something or other cookies but I use a recipe called Pecan Puffs.

Ingredients:

1 stick butter (1/2 C.)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C. flour, sifted
2 TBSP. sugar
1 C. ground pecans
Powdered sugar
Aka Russian tea cakes or Mexican wedding cookies. These are my favorite Christmas cookies :yum:

My sister used to make those Russian teacakes, way back when I made a bunch of other cookies. She'd come over and make a bunch of them on one of my "off days", to use my kitchen. I liked them, but never made them at Christmas, because the powdered sugar would mess up my other cookies! I made up for it other times, however.;)

She used to make them with a number of nuts - hazelnuts and black walnuts were two of my fav's. The black walnuts she'd make them in sort of an elongated shape, to distinguish them, since some people have allergies to them.

Ingredients:

1 stick butter (1/2 C.)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C. flour, sifted
2 TBSP. sugar
1 C. ground pecans
Powdered sugar

Yes, I've heard them called Russian Tea Cakes and Mexican Wedding Cookies but all three are pretty much the same cookie.. I just finished baking oatmeal raisin cookies, chocolate chip cookies and short bread.. in fact the short bread is still cooling.

Outstanidig,Ms. Moffet. Tonight, Dec. 18, I made baked up dinner for 6. I made pizza pasties. The dough came out very soft and tender, almost like sa good potato bread, sans potatoes. Here's the simple recipe:
6 cups bread flour
2 tbs. vital glutern
1 tbs. salt
1/8 cup very war water
2 packest yeast
11 tbs. sugar
10 tbsp, EVOOba

Mix together the water and sugar. Whis in the yeast. Let sit until frothy on top.
In a alarge bowl, combine all of the remaining engredients, exccept the olive oil. Add the yeast/waer mixture, and the oil. Kneed for 1o minutes to form a smooth, elastic dlugh. Cover with clean linnen and let rise until doubled in size. Punch down the dough. REmove a fistfull of douth (about the size of a baseball) and form into a disk. Place onto a heavy paper plate (ideal for making the correct size rust) and use your finger tips to spread the dough to the raose edges. Place 3 tbs. of you favorite pizza saice in the middle ans spread ti within a half inch of the crust. Place on your favorie topppings. Make another crust of the same size. Place on top of the rit ctust and pinch ehee edges together. Place the completed pizza pastie i onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and let rse for hour. Place into a preheated 350 defree oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and brush with nutter.

Fillings I used:
.1 Pepperoni slices
2, Hot Italian sausage, remove from the casing and browned
2. Ground pork, seasoned with garlic, onion, and thyme
4. Chopped black olives
5. Slied onion
6. Sliced cremin mushrooms
7. Homemade pizza sauce, made with 2 tbs. sugar, crushed tomato, garlic, oregano, basil,thyme, crushed red pepper, onion, and 7 pod dugla pepper powder.

These came out very good. The guest who helped make them (I agreed to give him a lesson on bread dough, and pizza pasties in return for some work he did for me) was thrilled with the resultes, as he filled and constructed half of the pizza pasties.

I would have liked more yeast flavor, and a little chewyer crust. This crust was very soft, and bread-like, but with oood flavor. It would have made exceptional dinner rolls, or a really good mini bread loaf for the table, or even a good sandwich bread loaf. Really good when toasted. All in all though, it was a good experience for both me, and the young man I was instruction. And the pizzas pasties were really good, especially for DW with her denyutes.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Llngwind of the North

Christmas Biscotti

2/3 C Sugar
1/3 C Butter
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Almond Extract
1/4 tsp Cardamom (optional)
2 eggs
2 C Flour
3/4 C Cranraisins
1/2 C Pistachios

Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the 2/3 cup sugar, the baking powder, and cardamom, almond extract; beat until combined. Beat in the eggs. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour and the cranraisins and pistachio nuts until combined. Divide dough in half. If necessary, cover and chill dough until easy to handle.

Shape each portion of dough into a 9-inch log. Place 4 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet, flattening them with your plum slightly until 2 inches wide.

Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool loaves on the cookie sheet for 1 hour.

Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch slices using a serrated knife. Place slices, on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 12 minutes or until dry and crisp.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.

Last edited:
Christmas Biscotti

2/3 C Sugar
1/3 C Butter
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Almond Extract
1/4 tsp Cardamom (optional)
2 eggs
2 C Flour
3/4 C Cranraisins
1/2 C Pistachios

Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the 2/3 cup sugar, the baking powder, and cardamom, almond extract; beat until combined. Beat in the eggs. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour and the cranraisins and pistachio nuts until combined. Divide dough in half. If necessary, cover and chill dough until easy to handle.

Shape each portion of dough into a 9-inch log. Place 4 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet, flattening them with your plum slightly until 2 inches wide.

Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool loaves on the cookie sheet for 1 hour.

Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2-inch slices using a serrated knife. Place slices, on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 12 minutes or until dry and crisp.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thank you.

Bama-Rick, your biscotti look delicious, but your recipe will get lost in this thread. It's in a better place if you give it it's own thread in the baked goods forum.

I'll make us coffee if you can pass a cookie my way...

Back
Top Bottom