Trying to simplify my eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
Actally i am trying to simplify my life in many ways and I would like to simplify my eating habits right along with that change in my life. I get tired of recipes with many steps to follow. I would like to know of simple 3 and 4 step recipes that taste good and are healthy. Any suggestions.

The simplest foods are the foods themselves.
If you are hungry, you'll enjoy your food more when you do eat.

Eat the way you want. Some people like 4 course meals, some people want a big dish of stew or soup w/bread, some people want different foods each and every meal while others make a lot and eat it for a few days, some people batch cook and freeze meals for the future.

What kind of structure are you looking for?

I eat pretty simply too. Protein and calcium to combat osteoporosis and build strong muscles, and lots of fruits and veggies to fill me up with necessary vitamins and minerals. I met with a nutritionist - which my health insurance paid for - to determine how to go about this

It would help to know some of the things you like to eat, but here are a few ideas I've saved from previous questions like this:

Cook ground beef with garlic, onions and peppers and freeze. Later, thaw and (or do for dinner tonight):
* Add pasta sauce and serve with spaghetti, salad and garlic bread
* Add 1 cup salsa, a small can of tomato sauce, a can of black beans, 1 cup frozen corn, mix together in casserole dish, top with prepared cornbread mix and bake
* Add taco seasoning and 1 cup salsa, roll up in flour or corn tortillas, top with can of enchilada sauce and shredded cheddar and bake
* Add can of Sloppy Joe sauce and serve on burger buns or rice

Quesadillas - make with shredded rotisserie chicken and Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, serve with salsa and sour cream.

Rotisserie chicken, prepared mashed potatoes, jar gravy, steamed frozen green beans sprinkled with seasoned salt.

I think I would get bored with a limit of 3 or 4 dishes...but that's me. If it works for you great! My dad had one meal he ate for supper, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year: salad. He made a big bowl of greens and then topped it with whatever fresh stuff we had, then a can of beans went on top of that, a glob of mayo, and he called that dinner. (It looked gross!)

During the summer, one of my go to meals is pasta with a "no cook pasta sauce". There are many online recipes. The idea is to set a pot of water to boil. While that is happening, place a heat proof bowl on the open pot and start prepping your "sauce". Chopped veggies like tomatoes, roasted peppers, etc. Anything that is good just warmed up. Add some olive oil and/or butter. Add garlic and spices. Once that is sufficiently warmed and your pot of water is boiling, remove the bowl, add your pasta to the pot and cook to your liking. Then, drain the pasta and toss into that bowl of "sauce" and you are set! Top with a bit of parm or feta or other cheese and dinner is served!

My simplest recipe,
open container of Mac'n Cheese recently bought at the store.
Heat in toaster oven, or micro.
While heating, open bag of pre-mixed salad, dish out with preferred dressing and/or scrub down a carrot/celery/cucumber to eat along side of Mac.

3 steps... simple enough?

It sounds like you are trying to simplify your cooking, not your eating. Is that correct? They are not the same thing.

Hey guys, I was just kidding! Not that I don't do that on occasion, I'm still a frim believer in cooking (almost) from scratch.

As I cook less than ever before, I too, am looking for simple steps with few ingredients to cook. One still wants to cook a succulent chicken breast without 10 ingredients to gather, chop/mix and coat 'n cook.

Add to that, possibly no frying, although still viable, toaster oven or micro preferred.

I simplify my cooking by using frozen vegis for a lot of stuff. I am still looking for something available in just about any Danish supermarket: frozen root vegis. I really would like the "rustic", larger pieces of mixed root vegis. That would be perfect in a tray bake. I would also love to be able to buy the peeled, frozen, pearl onions that Jacques Pépin uses. When possible, I like to "let the grocery store be my sous-chef", as J.P. puts it.

I've been making an "oven fried chicken" recipe for many, many years. It is super easy and similar to this link: https://www.copymethat.com/r/Fiym8xjq8/ritz-cracker-crumb-chicken/

The recipe I found, years ago, called for margarine instead of butter. Since then, I've seen recipes that call for mayo instead of margarine or butter. I use about 7 crackers per chicken breast, seasoned with seasoned salt and some pepper.

taxy, the Independent Grocers in St Lazare carry little frozen onions, the ones you would call 'cocktail' onions. I think they are from an indepentent supplier. I bought 3 pkg before I left. Think I still have some left. Love them! :wub:

If it doesn't have to be completely from scratch, then there are plenty of ready made sauces that can make a meal quick, easy, and tasty. Mostly, I'm thinking of Thai sauces and Indian curry pastes. Of course, there are also some excellent tomato based sauces that work well with pasta and pasta dishes.

If it doesn't have to be completely from scratch, then there are plenty of ready made sauces that can make a meal quick, easy, and tasty. Mostly, I'm thinking of Thai sauces and Indian curry pastes. Of course, there are also some excellent tomato based sauces that work well with pasta and pasta dishes.

+1 on the above!!

I simplify my cooking by using frozen vegis for a lot of stuff. I am still looking for something available in just about any Danish supermarket: frozen root vegis. I really would like the "rustic", larger pieces of mixed root vegis. That would be perfect in a tray bake. I would also love to be able to buy the peeled, frozen, pearl onions that Jacques Pépin uses. When possible, I like to "let the grocery store be my sous-chef", as J.P. puts it.
Birdseye makes peeled frozen pearl onions.

Actally i am trying to simplify my life in many ways and I would like to simplify my eating habits right along with that change in my life. I get tired of recipes with many steps to follow. I would like to know of simple 3 and 4 step recipes that taste good and are healthy. Any suggestions.
1] “The Silver Spoon” (Italian) & “I know how to cook” (French) are massive (1,000+ recipes) for simple home cooking.​
2] Take chicken thighs. Loosen the skin. Sprinkle whatever herbs &/or spices you fancy. Bake.​
3] Think about how to simplify a promising looking recipe. Example: Coq au Vin is a time consuming reduction of chicken soup made with red wine. Forget the reduction. Eat it as soup. Same for Boef Burgenon (sp?). Do it as a simple beef stew.​

I live in Canada. I don't remember ever seeing Birdseye frozen vegis in Canada.
Frozen peeled pearl onions are available in Canada. You just need to find them. These are from www.chefsmarket.ca.
Screenshot_20220604-091133_Chrome.jpg

Frozen peeled pearl onions are available in Canada. You just need to find them. These are from www.chefsmarket.ca.
View attachment 52063

Thanks. I'm not surprised that they are available somewhere in Canada. I check the websites of local and chain grocery stores every once in a while and do the occasional internet search for them. They would be nice to have, but aren't special enough to order on the internet or make trips to specialty stores to find out if they have them.

Back
Top Bottom