ISO help/advice canning corn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Princess

Assistant Cook
I have the power pressure xl and want to can raw corn~can't seem to find any recipes. Can someone please help??!!! I've never done it before
Thanks in advance

I have the power pressure xl and want to can raw corn~can't seem to find any recipes. Can someone please help??!!! I've never done it before
Thanks in advance

If this is a pressure cooker it is good for pressure cooking. Not approved by sources (national center for home food preservation, or university extension offices) for canning. A first choice for canning is a pressure canner.

I picked up a used presto pressure canner last week for $10, it had been used one time. You also might want to join a canning/preserving forum or facebook group, to help walk you through your first time canning corn.

You may run into other sources of internet information saying otherwise, but if you care about your health, use safe methods for canning. You are worth it.

according to the NCHFP the reason pressure cookers are not "approved" is simply because the canning gurus have not run the time/temp testing on small volume vessels.

according to the NCHFP the reason pressure cookers are not "approved" is simply because the canning gurus have not run the time/temp testing on small volume vessels.

That's correct. The canning gurus get grants for each type of testing and there are 100 variations of pressure cookers and instapots, which would take so much money, no one will most likely grant them that. It seems reasonable they won't test them, or all of them. It would be a waste of time given that instapots are coming out with new fangled options, so more and more of them. Nearly every year there are new models in all companies producing them.

Instead they test methods with canners for each fruit/vegetable.

They, the gurus would have to make decisions on whether the heat up time, was enough, the cool down period was enough because it held enough heat, the density of a recipe didn't leave bacteria in the middle of the jar, if it reached a high enough temperature to kill off possible bacteria problems. Then they'd have to store the items and see if they kept bacteria out over the longer period.

I don't see that happening.

somewhere I recently saw an "official" i.e. .gov statement saying 57% of people canning stuff do not follow the rules.
something to ponder, eh?

somewhere I recently saw an "official" i.e. .gov statement saying 57% of people canning stuff do not follow the rules.
something to ponder, eh?

There's luck and there's Darwin, the rest of us follow most of the rules. Last week a woman I'd never met gifted us some canned corn relish in a quart jar. There are no approved recipes I can find for canned quarts of corn relish. 99% of people when given home canned food are afraid to use it. I'm very afraid.:ohmy::LOL:

I would have to be at 80% of the poverty level to eat it myself. I'd have to be at 70% of the poverty level to feed it to my husband or son. I'd have to be at 50% of the poverty level to regift it or give it the animals outside. But hey, that's me.:LOL: It was a free jar, once I clean it out.

There's luck and there's Darwin, the rest of us follow most of the rules. Last week a woman I'd never met gifted us some canned corn relish in a quart jar. There are no approved recipes I can find for canned quarts of corn relish. 99% of people when given home canned food are afraid to use it. I'm very afraid.:ohmy:[emoji38]

I would have to be at 80% of the poverty level to eat it myself. I'd have to be at 70% of the poverty level to feed it to my husband or son. I'd have to be at 50% of the poverty level to regift it or give it the animals outside. But hey, that's me.[emoji38] It was a free jar, once I clean it out.
Lol, that's me, too. There are Facebook groups called Rebel Canners and stuff like that. People can do what they want, but I don't want to risk poisoning myself or anyone else. I think if the manufacturers of those machines want the official seal of approval, they should provide samples and funding to pay for the testing.

Good to see you back, bliss. I hope all is well with you and your family.

Last edited:
Unless I knew the person well and knew that they were conscientious about canning, I wouldn't eat home canned food other than jam or jelly of acidic fruits. And even then, I would be cautious.

Back
Top Bottom