2020 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing really complex or exotic, but yummy.

Have some peach dumplings prepared and ready to go into the oven just before dinner tonight. They'll be nice and warm when it's time for dessert.

I've made this recipe several times and we're never dissapointed.

You can find it here if you are interested.

Tonight I baked a Browned Butter Banana Bread, the recipe for which I found in one of those free classes of Milk Street - the Spice Kitchen. The only spice in this is cardamom, which is bloomed in the browned butter, and the smell in here is wonderful. I'll be up late, waiting for the bread to cool, so I can sample it!
Finished Browned Butter Banana Bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

My bread machine died! :cry: Well, I had dumped all of the ingredients into the pan, so I figured I would flop it into a bowl and get cracking the old fashioned way. It's been AGES since I made bread completely by hand. I think I should have kneaded it longer the first go-round. I know my shoulders will be sore tomorrow. Time to learn how to make bread with an assist from my food processor.
IMG_20200416_201215949.jpg

Ran out of bagels this past week and still have a yeast issue. Several packets failed me last week when I tried to make sandwich bread. Desperate for some bagels I tried another packet of the questionable yeast and it bloomed!!! So I have a dozen onion bagels in the oven. I'm a happy guy.

Glad you got that going, Andy! Did you save a small amount of the dough as a levain, to use as yeast for later recipes? Something to think about, when short on yeast.

Glad you got that going, Andy! Did you save a small amount of the dough as a levain, to use as yeast for later recipes? Something to think about, when short on yeast.

Good thought, PH, but I didn't do that.

Attachments

• 7A08683C-EDEC-4BD1-9858-45F2391B6CEB_1_201_a.jpg
    7A08683C-EDEC-4BD1-9858-45F2391B6CEB_1_201_a.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 94
Andy, was the other yeast very feeble or out and out dead? I read that you can use yeast, even feeble yeast, to grow more yeast.

TL, when I was trying to make the sandwich bread, two packets of dry yeast were completely dead. The third was slow to bloom but I used it and the bread came out fine.

I had a packet of Active Dry yeast and another of Rapid Rise. I figured I'd try the AD and see if it bloomed. It did and the bagels came out great. I still have a RR packet that's old but I've read they can still work. I'll us that for the next item and do a quick test to see if it's good.

Andy, I just read somewhere (don't remember, but I could track it down if you want) that you shouldn't bloom rapid rise or instant yeast - it uses up one of its rise cycles. If you do test it, you might want to use just a little bit.

Andy, I just read somewhere (don't remember, but I could track it down if you want) that you shouldn't bloom rapid rise or instant yeast - it uses up one of its rise cycles. If you do test it, you might want to use just a little bit.

Thanks, CG. That was my plan.

I tried my hand at making bagels for the first time...

I also made two loaves of bread today.

Attachments

• 2020-04-18 09.06.29.jpg
    2020-04-18 09.06.29.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 72
Did a Rye Bread about a week ago, A beer bread a few days ago, and this morning in the process of bagels.

Attachments

• IMG_4053.jpg
    IMG_4053.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5051.jpg
    IMG_5051.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom