2020 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a few box mixes for muffins spirited away in the pantry, so I sacrificed two eggs in the making of six jumbo pumpkin muffins. I add a lot of walnuts and golden raisins to the batter. They were delicious.

Oh, they aren't all gone. I could photograph four if you want to see them...

Mini loaves of banana bread! Needed to use up some over-ripe bananas.

Attachments

• 20200401_185353.jpg
    20200401_185353.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 88
Trying to make a dent in the 50-pound bag of bread flour that arrived last week.

Have the ingredients in the bread machine to make 2 big loaves of bread. The dough is on its first rise and, in about 45 minutes, I'll remove the dough and shape the loaves and set them in the microwave for their final rise.

Yum, yum, yummers...hot, fresh bread before lunch.

This week I baked two loaves of bread: oatmeal bread and pumpernickel bread. The pumpernickel had a zillion ingredients, but it turned out so good!

Getting a taste for something sweetish. Have to figure out what sounds good to me.

Working on my 50 pounds of flour. I have dough in the bread machine for some cinnamon rolls. 'Bout the best recipe I've ever come across. Been using it for quite a few years and Glenn would crawl over broken glass and razor blades for them.

If you are interested, here's a link.

Working on my 50 pounds of flour. I have dough in the bread machine for some cinnamon rolls. 'Bout the best recipe I've ever come across. Been using it for quite a few years and Glenn would crawl over broken glass and razor blades for them.

If you are interested, here's a link.

YUM!
I've saved that link to my Favorites page on my PC for later.

Cinnamon Buns.jpg

Cinnamon Buns1.jpg

DH LOVES Cinnamon Rolls and the recipe that my SIL gave me,
I'm just not a fan of to tell the truth.
They're more of a Sticky Bun, meh.
The rest of my In-Laws go nuts for it,
me not so much and I've been on the look-out
for a better recipe, thank you!

YUM!
I've saved that link to my Favorites page on my PC for later.

View attachment 40218

View attachment 40219

DH LOVES Cinnamon Rolls and the recipe that my SIL gave me,
I'm just not a fan of to tell the truth.
They're more of a Sticky Bun, meh.
The rest of my In-Laws go nuts for it,
me not so much and I've been on the look-out
for a better recipe, thank you!

Glad you saved it. I can tell you, you will need a BIG pan because these gems are overachievers when it comes to rising.

Sounds like any fermented starter no? Similar to sourdough starter for instance

https://youtu.be/sTAiDki7AQA

To a large extent, yes. But, obviously a lot of people don't know that. The big difference is that the microbiologist adds dried fruit, which I haven't seen before. He claims there is yeast on it and it's the dry powder that comes off on your hands. I can't say that I remember ever getting white powder on my hands from handling dried fruit. It does make me think of blueberries, that have a whitish blush of yeast on their skins.

To a large extent, yes. But, obviously a lot of people don't know that. The big difference is that the microbiologist adds dried fruit, which I haven't seen before. He claims there is yeast on it and it's the dry powder that comes off on your hands. I can't say that I remember ever getting white powder on my hands from handling dried fruit. It does make me think of blueberries, that have a whitish blush of yeast on their skins.

Yea it looks like one of a few main ways to developer a starter yeast..potato being another method.
https://thesurvivalmom.com/august-skill-of-the-month-make-your-own-yeast/

Anywho good call and thank you for the tidbit of info!

Last edited:
Baked this loaf of sandwich bread using a KA flour recipe. IT took three packets of yeast before I got one to work. All three was dated for 2021.

A neighbor just offered to pick up some things at the store just now so I asked him to get me some yeast. I hope they have it in the store.

Attachments

• BE6246AB-F02E-4C70-8CC3-CB30B88BA4B9_1_201_a.jpg
    BE6246AB-F02E-4C70-8CC3-CB30B88BA4B9_1_201_a.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 66
Well DD found eggs, yeast and flour at her store today. So hopefully I will be baking.

Baked this loaf of sandwich bread using a KA flour recipe. IT took three packets of yeast before I got one to work. All three was dated for 2021.

A neighbor just offered to pick up some things at the store just now so I asked him to get me some yeast. I hope they have it in the store.

As an aside, the recipe calls for you to bake to the color of the crust AND tells you the proper internal temp is 190F. If you bake to color, the internal temp is too high. If you bake to internal temp, the color is weak.

Be. IT took three packets of yeast before I got one to work. All three was dated for 2021.

I'm having a hard time with the yeasts that are not working for people. I buy yeast in a foil pack of 450 gr. I transfer to an old jar (of yeast) about 100 gr at a time. The foil pack is tight rolled with an elastic and sealed in a zip bag and kept in the fridge. Jar also in the fridge. I bought this particular bag about 3 years ago. My last bag stayed with me thru a 'no baking' phase and was at least 10 yrs old when I started to use it again. Always worked fine.

As an aside, the recipe calls for you to bake to the color of the crust AND tells you the proper internal temp is 190F. If you bake to color, the internal temp is too high. If you bake to internal temp, the color is weak.

LOL - each stove is going to be different. I often cover in loose foil for the first half or even 2/3 of the cooking time. I use a thermometer 200 degrees.

yesterdays bread

Attachments

• 20200406_130725.jpg
    20200406_130725.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20200406_161648.jpg
    20200406_161648.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 69
WOW everyone!!! LOVE bread, any sort of bread... speaking of ...

IMG_5741.jpg

I sacrificed about 1 1/2 cups of All-Purpose Flour yesterday
to go with our BBQ Ribs that I picked up from our local joint.
They no longer have their fabulous Corn Bread available (geez,
can't imagine why) :(

Mine came out a touch blonde on top, but very tasty all the same :yum:

But in the long run, this worked out great, `cuz now we have
leftover Corn Bread for the next coupla days.
Very yummy for breakfast, toasted with Butter and Honey on top.

First try at baguettes. Looked funny but was good. Maybe a little more salt next time.

baguette_041020_1_IMG_6778.jpg

baguette_041020_2_IMG_6779.JPG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom