2020 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First try at baguettes. Looked funny but was good. Maybe a little more salt next time.

View attachment 40301

View attachment 40302

Looking good. Any reason why you did not slit them? I believe that is a staple of them so they can rise better and release trapped heat /fumes. Or maybe you did them but I am not seeing it. I want to try with poppy and sesame or at least sesame when I work up enough nerve.

Last edited:
Looking good. Any reason why you did not slit them? I believe that is a staple of them so they can rise better and release trapped heat /fumes. Or maybe you did them but I am not seeing it. I want to try with poppy and sesame or at least sesame when I work up enough nerve.

I did but they sealed up.

Trying my own bread today. Crossing fingers. On 2nd rise now. :)
This is pan sobao
IMG_4634.jpg

Ok they r done. Crust is good but not entirely satisfied with the bread itself. It looks and feels a little to wet and mushy to me. It’s not bagel consistency but heading in that direction if I had to compare the texture. Not sure where I went wrong on this one but will keep trying. It’s like 80% there. Just having it before, I know it can be better. Now I didn’t do a poolish but I did let it first rise overnight in fridge. I forgot to take it off baking sheet right away and onto cooking rack. Did this about 10min after it came out. Bottom not soggy though so I hope that didn’t contribute to final texture. If u look closely the back one split a little on the bottom. I did not fit the seam right enough. Lesson learned. For steam I warmed up oven to 400 for 45 min with baking stone and used cast iron skillet in there the whole time. After 45min I put 2 cups of ice in and let it steak for 5min before putting bread in to bake. Baked for 20min.

IMG_4647.jpg
IMG_4646.jpg
IMG_4645.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, GG! I like making flatbreads on the grill in the summer - I really don't like firing up gas burners inside then, but I have to have some. And I have a pizza stone with a cracked edge, that I keep for outside, to keep the oven off for that kind of stuff.

A few days ago, I made flatbread on the grill and finished it with olive oil and za'atar seasoning. I love this stuff [emoji813]
View attachment 40317View attachment 40318View attachment 40319
That looks wonderful.

Looks great, GG! I like making flatbreads on the grill in the summer - I really don't like firing up gas burners inside then, but I have to have some. And I have a pizza stone with a cracked edge, that I keep for outside, to keep the oven off for that kind of stuff.

Any tips for making flat bread on a grill? I have a recipe for some Saami flat bread that I want to try.

Really nice looking breads, msmofet, GG and Gimme. Still need to get some yeast so I can try another loaf. It's on the shopping list.

Biscuits to go with tonight's ham dinner. Left them in about 4 minutes too long.but still good. 20200412_133820.jpg

FrankZ That pain de mie sandwich bread is my absolute favorite for grilled cheese sandwiches! I'll have to dig one of my pans out. And the best recipe I made for the grilled cheese was one with potatoes in it, which gave the grilled bread an incredible flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom