2020 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SO went overboard today. She made cranberry nut muffins, blueberry muffins, zucchini muffins and a zucchini bread. I think we’re set for a while.

What a lucky man you are, Andy. They all sound so good. If I were your SO, I'd be plastic wrapping, bagging, and freezer hiding a good number of those baked goods for future eating.

It was a sadistic person who invented German Chocolate Cake. I clearly remember why it was 2017 that was the last time I made this favorite cake for DH's birthday. It's not until Monday, but I didn't have 6 hours to spend on Monday making a cake.
Well, beth, Monday has come and gone. I hope your DH had a very nice birthday...and praised you up one side and down the other for that German Chocolate cake that you made for him. :heart:

If all goes as planned I will be baking peanut butter cup cakes. Searching for a recipe now.

What a lucky man you are, Andy. They all sound so good. If I were your SO, I'd be plastic wrapping, bagging, and freezer hiding a good number of those baked goods for future eating.

Thanks, CG. Some of them are going to my sister and neighbors. The rest are wrapped and frozen for future breakfasts.

Glad to hear that, beth!

I made a pan of corn bread to go with our supper tonight. The recipe called for a 10" cast iron skillet. I had to decide between a 9" and a 12". Chose the smaller one. While it was very tasty, it probably would be better in something 10".

IMG_20200827_200829082.jpg

Glad to hear that, beth!

I made a pan of corn bread to go with our supper tonight. The recipe called for a 10" cast iron skillet. I had to decide between a 9" and a 12". Chose the smaller one. While it was very tasty, it probably would be better in something 10".

View attachment 42639

Just curious. Why do you believe that it would have been better in the larger skillet? Is it a quantity adjustment thing?

Ross

Yup, Ross. While fully baked, the middle was way too dense and almost pasty. In spite of that, we both went back for seconds!

I figure I need a new 10" CI pan, right? [emoji38] Then I measured my Staub "All Day" pan - it's 10". The sides don't slope like a skillet, so it might be a challenge to get a slice out. But at least it's 10"!

Last edited:
Yup, Ross. While fully baked, the middle was way too dense and almost pasty. In spite of that, we both went back for seconds!

I figure I need a new 10" CI pan, right? [emoji38] Then I measured my Staub "All Day" pan - it's 10". The sides don't slope like a skillet, so it might be a challenge to get a slice out. But at least it's 10"!

Thank you for the reply.. :)

I make corn bread, etc., in my 8" CI pan..
Of course, in my old age, I now use Krusteaz Honey Corn Bread mix. I use a half package and haven't had density problem.

Ross

Every recipe is not the same volume. I make a cornbread the I cook in my 12" CI skillet. However, I usually make it in muffin form.

Thank you for the reply.. :)

I make corn bread, etc., in my 8" CI pan..
Of course, in my old age, I now use Krusteaz Honey Corn Bread mix. I use a half package and haven't had density problem.

Ross

CG... Sincere apologies.. Unintentionally, I told a fib..:ermm: :wacko:

For half batch corn bread, I use a Winton 6X6 aluminum pan.

Ross

At one time I had 2 8" CI pans and used those for corn bread instead of one big pan. It was perfect! Unfortunately, one left with my brother and never came back. :(

Whipped up a batch of hamburger buns this afternoon.

Attachments

• F986FCE8-B4E1-4E7F-AB2E-A591B36E8554_1_105_c.jpg
    F986FCE8-B4E1-4E7F-AB2E-A591B36E8554_1_105_c.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 51
I baked some bread sticks, from some WW and rye flours I ground today from the whole berries (I had run out of both, so I ground about another 4 lbs of each), and the end of the buttermilk, I had when I made another half gallon of it a couple of days ago.

Back
Top Bottom