2020 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A while after I typed that, I realized that the problem wasn't nooks and crannies. It's the rough texture of the pre-split, fork split muffins. Our favorite breakfast place sells the best scratch made muffins that we slice open. They're a dream to butter and they're full of nooks and crannies.

A while after I typed that, I realized that the problem wasn't nooks and crannies. It's the rough texture of the pre-split, fork split muffins. Our favorite breakfast place sells the best scratch made muffins that we slice open. They're a dream to butter and they're full of nooks and crannies.

I'm not too fond of the rough texture of most commercially-made muffins either. The ones I made yesterday sound very much like the ones you enjoy at your breakfast place.

Mini cherry pie and mini lemon meringue pie

mini_pies_100120_2_IMG_7231.JPG

mini_pies_100120_3_IMG_7233.jpg

Msm, what did you bake those mini pies in? special tiny pie plates? a muffin tin?
Mini 12 cup muffin pans. Same ones I use to make my Pecan Tassies at Christmas. It was a pain to make the cherry pies. I will use my mini 5" pie plates next time for them.

pumpkin pie.jpg

My first ever attempt at baking a pie. It's a pumpkin pie. I don't think it looks bad for a first effort. And I have to say it tastes really good. Not too sweet and the pumpkin is so deliciously moist. I've definitely got the baking bug now!

DH and I have been craving apple cider doughnuts. Growing up in Michigan, every fall my family (and his) would go to an apple orchard and cider mill to pick apples, drink freshly milled apple cider and eat apple cider doughnuts. I decided to make some but I don't have a doughnut pan, so I borrowed a mini Bundt cake pan from a neighbor. It worked perfectly and they're delicious!

The recipe made 21 cakes. I gave two each to four of our neighbors.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/baked-apple-cider-donuts/ IMG_20201004_172148_371.jpg

DH and I have been craving apple cider doughnuts. Growing up in Michigan, every fall my family (and his) would go to an apple orchard and cider mill to pick apples, drink freshly milled apple cider and eat apple cider doughnuts. I decided to make some but I don't have a doughnut pan, so I borrowed a mini Bundt cake pan from a neighbor. It worked perfectly and they're delicious!

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/baked-apple-cider-donuts/ View attachment 43244

They look so good! I love apple cider donuts. You must be popular with your neighbors!

YUM!! Those look amazing!!!

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/baked-apple-cider-donuts/ View attachment 43244

Part one of tonight's dinner.

Dinner rolls to go with chicken soup.

Attachments

• 4E3EE514-1B6B-4922-A9DB-7492FAF68A19_1_105_c.jpg
    4E3EE514-1B6B-4922-A9DB-7492FAF68A19_1_105_c.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 67
Oh my!
Andy, recipe please?
I gotta get back to baking!!!!

Happy to share the recipe. However, it's not mine. I got it from salt and pepper but cannot find the original online right now so here is how I wrote it down.

CAST IRON SKILLET ROLLS

1 Pkt Active Dry Yeast
5 tsp Sugar
237 Gr Warm Water (1 C)
¼ C Milk
1 tsp Kosher Salt
475 Gr AP Flour (≈4C)
TT Melted Butter

Bloom the yeast with the sugar and water in the mixer bowl until a beige foam develops on the surface (about ten to fifteen minutes). Add the milk and the salt.

With the mixer running on the lowest speed, add the flour to the mixer bowl a little at a time and let the mixer run until the dough forms a ball and comes away from the sides of the bowl.

Knead at speed #2 for 10 minutes.

Remove the dough, coat the bowl with oil and turn the dough to coat it on all surfaces with the oil. Place a square of plastic wrap onto the surface of the dough and let it rise until it has doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 375ºF.

Deflate the dough. Divide the dough into 16 pieces and roll each piece into a ball and place into a lightly greased 12" cast iron skillet. (outer circle-11 balls, inner circle-5 balls.

Lightly brush the dough balls with melted butter and let them rise for 20 minutes.

Place the skillet into the oven and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Remove the skillet to a cooling rack and brush with melted butter, sprinkle with a bit of salt.

Takes two hours from start to cooling rack.

NOTE: you can also use instant/rapid rise yeast. Just combine all the ingredients except the melted butter in the mixer and go.

salt and pepper's original recipe had the dough separated into eight rolls. I change it to 16 rolls as we like that size better. You could do more or fewer.

Back
Top Bottom