9 by 9 inch baking dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
I have a recipe that explicitly says it needs an 9x9 baking dish in order to not undercook. Been all around and only find 8 by 8. I know they exist but haven't seen on shelves. Any suggestions?

What is the recipe for? I have jury-rigged a smaller baking dish to bake a cake. I took a larger baking dish and lined it with foil, all the way up three sides. I measured the length and made a wall out of the foil at the correct distance. I folded the foil up and then folded the excess onto the outside. I hope that makes sense. To make a 9"x9" baking area you will need to have a 9" x something longer than 9" pan.

I got all mine at a commercial restaurant supply store long ago, and they are all aluminum pans, with exact measurements, and vertical sides, with sharp corners (I have 7x10, 8x8, 9x9, 9x13, 10x15, and 12x18). I often use the 9x9 pan when making a half recipe of a sheet cake pan - 10½x15½" - and it is almost exactly half. And I often use the 9x9 in recipes calling for 8x8, to get thinner brownies, baked a few minutes less.

I wouldn’t buy a special size pan until after I was able to try the recipe and then I wouldn’t really need it.

A 9”x9” pan is 81 square inches so I would probably substitute a 7”x11” brownie pan which is 77 square inches.

Another thought would be to head for the $tore to look for a disposable aluminum pan.

Good luck!

Last edited:
and then we need a blow by blow on how it turned out and how it tasted.
We don't know what it is yet but are curious.
If it works, please share the recipe! LOL

and it will work, believe in yourself! We do!

IMO this thread is about needs and wants.

If you want the new pan, or any other kitchen equipment, that’s absolutely fine even though it may not actually be a need.

This thread also reminded me of this little story.

There was a favorite family recipe for a holiday ham that had been passed down through the generations. As the mother was making the ham for the umpteenth time, she was teaching her newly married daughter how to make their family’s ham.

She carefully cut both ends off the ham, set it in the pan, and added the secret combination of spices. Her daughter who was taking notes, asked, “Why do you cut off the ends?” Her mother answered, “Because that is how my mother taught me to do it.”

Later, the mother began to wonder why they cut off the ends, so she asked her mother. The grandmother answered, “Because that is how my mother taught me to do it.” The grandmother then wondered too, so she asked her elderly mother. The great grandmother replied, “You don’t need to cut off the ends! I always did that because my old oven was too small for a big pan.”

It's true - absolutely true!

Once i the grocery store a woman was buying fiddleheads and she turned to her mother and said 'how do you cook them' the mother said 'I don't know' and I being the kind soul that I am said 'bring them up t a boil, drain, add more water, boil, drain again, then do it again about 3 maybe 4 times.'
When they asked me why - I simply said "because that's how my mom did it!"
They got a good laugh out of it. But I have since learned that fiddleheads must be cooked for at least 8 to 10 minutes to rid them of the toxins. Then simple butter, s & P and yum yum.
I thought she did it because with each bringing to a boil and draining, you got rid of more of the brown dried skins - maybe unbeknownst to us all - it served two purposes.

10 x 10 = 100 = less time
9 x9 = 81
a difference of 20
8 x 8 = 64 = more time

adjust your time accordingly and don't over/under cook.
10x10 round is not going to equal 100. Multiplying the width/length only works for square or rectangular pans. There's a different formula for figuring out volume for circular pans. I don't know what it is though, have to look it up every time.

I know most members on here will know the above, but sometimes there are those who don't.

I have it written down somewhere too medtran, but she was talking square to begin with. Wasn't even going to go to round. LOL
And that's why I posted what I did, for those that don't know and are unsure. Don't be afraid of your pans. Yes, it will be different but now you will know that and compensate for it.

For a round pan: Divide the diameter in half (radius) and multiply that number by itself. Then multiply the result by 3. (I'm rounding off here).

e.g. a 10" round pan: Half of 10 is 5. 5x5=25. 25x3=75 Sq. Inches.

Remember in school when you were doing your geometry homework and whined that you didn't want to learn it because you were NEVER going to use it in real life?

For a round pan: Divide the diameter in half (radius) and multiply that number by itself. Then multiply the result by 3. (I'm rounding off here).

e.g. a 10" round pan: Half of 10 is 5. 5x5=25. 25x3=75 Sq. Inches.

Remember in school when you were doing your geometry homework and whined that you didn't want to learn it because you were NEVER going to use it in real life?
I loved math and didn't hate the homework. I know, I'm weird. But, being weird is my super power. ;)

The recipe is for slutty brownies. Lol.

I did find the 9x9 metal pan (as opposed to glass dish) at Homegoods. I also already had glass dish ordered on Amazon from a brand I hadn't heard of. Apparently Pyrex doesn't make 9x9 anymore.

On a different note, this recipe says bring cookie dough to room temperature before baking with other ingredients. How long will that take without risking the danger zone?

Also does it want cookie layer baked separately for 10 minutes before adding the rest and baking 30 minutes more, or was that an alternate version?

Last edited:
On a different note, this recipe says bring cookie dough to room temperature before baking with other ingredients. How long will that take without risking the danger zone?
I can't imagine that it would take longer than about 30 minutes for it to come to room temperature.
Also does it want cookie layer baked separately for 10 minutes before adding the rest and baking 30 minutes more, or was that an alternate version?
That was something to do with whether you're "nervous" about whether the cookie dough will cook enough :rolleyes: Ignore it and follow the instructions in the recipe itself.

Tbh, this is the kind of thing that makes a recipe author suspect to me. I wouldn't trust any recipe from this site.

Back
Top Bottom