A bit bitter teriyaki?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i've made it today but it was somewhat bitter.
i followed this recipe
why?

if you want to see the brands of sauces let me know..

Attachments

• de049c96-82a7-418b-8e0b-9f5468df7735.jpeg
    de049c96-82a7-418b-8e0b-9f5468df7735.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I speeded thru the video - it is almost 15 minutes long. Didn't see anything untoward - it's a common recipe, nothing special.
If you are sure you have those ingredients and used those amounts, I see no reason for anything to be bitter. Perhaps you used too much sake? Only thing I can think of that could possibly be considered "bitter".

Doesn't the guy in this video ever STFU?

I, too, made teriyaki sauce yesterday. It was delicious! Here is the recipe I used:

Teriyaki Sauce
Ingredients:
1 cup water
¼ cup soy sauce
5 tsp packed brown sugar
½ tsp ground ginger
1 Tbs Agave syrup
¼ tsp garlic powder
2Tbs cornstarch
¼ cup cold water
2 Tbs toasted sesame seeds for garnish
Directions
Combine 1 cup water, soy sauce, brown sugar, agave, ginger, and garlic powder in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until nearly heated through, about 1 minute.
Mix cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water together in a cup; stir until dissolved. Add to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and stir sauce until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Allow to cool. Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with toasted sesame seeds.

This is what it looked like:
53398624925_987e190ca2_n.jpg

Did you use fresh garlic? Did you burn it?
I wondered about that too, or maybe the garlic. When I made teriyaki, it had a marinade with sugar that the chicken rested in. I found that it stuck to the pan when cooking the chicken, so I wondered if the sugar got burnt. But, there wasn't any added sugar, so probably not.

Well, shoot. I was hoping it would be that simple :) I try but don't always remember, to take a little taste of each new ingredient I use. Maybe that'll help you find the suspect. I ended up with over 2 quarts of peanut sauce last week, because I used tamarind concentrate instead of my usual tamarind paste and had to double everything else to get the balance right. Oops!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom