Caramel Apples, Deceptively difficult. Please help. SOS.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhannabis

Assistant Cook
Hey guys, so i've been trying to make gourmet caramel apples to give as gifts to friends. I've tried 5 times now with different recipes and methods. They look and taste great at first, but after a few hours the caramel and toppings start oozing (melt?) to the bottom. I placed them in the fridge immediately after i dipped them and added toppings. I let them set for about an hour or two, before i wrap them in cellophane. However when i let them sit at room temperature (both in cellophane and without) after a few hours the caramel and toppings start to pool at the bottom. Is there any suggestions on how to tackle this problem? I think my caramel is fine, i was meticulous in following the recipe. I was under the assumption that caramel apples can sit at room temperature without loosing shape...?
(Extra question for any enlightened people) (I boiled the apples in water for about 30 seconds to remove the wax, the granny smith apples seem to hold shape the longest but eventually pool at the bottom as well. The fuji apples after boiling started to bleed and ooze out little drops of red liquid all over the apple. I wiped and dried of the apple of any liquid or residue before i dipped them but after a few hours even in the fridge i can notice the caramel melting or slipping from the inside, i'm assuming it has something to do with the bleeding. The granny smith apples do not seem to bleed at all and are dry throughout. Anyone have any idea what the bleeding/oozing is/how to tackle it?) Thanks heaps guys, I know I'm asking a lot of questions but this is really driving me nuts right now and I have spent so much money on trying to get this right that I now refuse to be beaten by these deceptively complicated caramel apples. )

Attachments

• 1454603193720.jpg
    1454603193720.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 202
I'd say the caramel must be solid and keep it's shape at room temperature.
If you aren't sure of that, then it may not stay solid on the apple.

When you are coating the apples the apples must be fairly cool, so the caramel gets back to room temperature quickly. The caramel will have to be warmed slightly so it 'melt' and 'attach' to the apple. The extra decorations would have to be put on the outside when the caramel is still warm. You'd want to get it cool as soon as possible so it would go to a solid state.

I made three batches of caramel last week. The first was heated too hot, and was like a solid mass of almost hard candy--too hot. The second was beautiful but at room temperature it would not hold it's shape--too cool at 245 °F, and I turned it into caramel sauce. The third batch was beautiful and it was heated to 255 °F, it was solid and did not droop at room temperature.

If you made a batch of caramel like my third batch, you would have to warm it back up in order to use it on apples. I hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom