I like knowing first names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a user name because, trust me, my name is once heard and never forgotten....I usually never need to use my surname, although I married someone with a surname that makes me very alliterative, lol, and I have never come across anybody with the same name as me. I sound like a cartoon character or burlesque artiste. I love having an individual name but it does create a security risk, and so I use a friendly "namey" user name, that is not too weird (thanks to those alliterative "l"s) in real life, although if I email people I "meet" on the internet I usually give my real name, because I think its polite....I give it on the phone and in letters, so if you are emailing people I feel a little more like using my "real name".

Just to make it more complicated, my "real" name is a corruption of my "birth certifcate" name and that only gets used by my parents and grandparents...my sister gave me my shorter "real" name, which I am known by. Most people in my family have a nickname which is as important, or more so, than the name on their birth cert!

When I was born the doctor came in and said that I was not going to live and what did my mother want to name me because he was going to baptize me, she said the first thing she thought of was the Blessed Mother, so she said Mary. Well as you can see I didn't die.:rolleyes: Then she took me to a church and had the priest baptize me again and on the baptismal certificate it says JoAnna. But on my birth certificate it's JoAnn ( that is what they called me ). So I don't know what name Saint Peter has in the good book. But I guess I will answer to all three. Just so I get in those Pearly Gates.:angel:

My real name I guess is Mairead...Mare-read?? My grandfather is from Scotland..

since I can't pronounce it right I guess I'll go by Marge~dove

(I pm'd you, qsis)
I like our usernames way more than our regular ones. Makes us each unique, I think.

Otherwise we'd have names like "Tim", "The other Tim", "Tim with blue font", "The nice Tim" and "The latest Tim"

(woulda used "tom", but bucky got all the good names)

Otherwise we'd have names like "Tim", "The other Tim", "Tim with blue font", "The nice Tim" and "The latest Tim"

Or Tiny Tim.:LOL:

I like the user names also. It has a touch of the member's personality in them.

Wasabi~ hot and spicy or maybe just green.:sick:
:LOL:

jkath said:
I like our usernames way more than our regular ones. Makes us each unique, I think.

I've known you all this time and didn't know your real name is Tim! :ROFLMAO: You can be "Hospitality Queen Tim!"

:-p Barbara

P.S. James said to guess what his full name is. (No it doesn't involve Tim! Look to the Bible for his first and middle names. Obviously one of them is James!)

Barbara L said:
I've known you all this time and didn't know your real name is Tim! :ROFLMAO: You can be "Hospitality Queen Tim!"

:-p Barbara

P.S. James said to guess what his full name is. (No it doesn't involve Tim! Look to the Bible for his first and middle names. Obviously one of them is James!)

Is his first name 'King'?

Not King, but a good guess! Actually James is his first name. His middle name is a biggie in the Bible. :cool:

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
Not King, but a good guess! Actually James is his first name. His middle name is a biggie in the Bible. :cool:

:) Barbara

Those that come quickly to mind . . . .

David
Moses
Matthew
Mark
Luke
Aaron
Issac
Paul
John . . . .

I'm guessing not Methusala (sp?)

Even though I was the first Licia in the forum, that isn't my real name. It is a rather mixed up version of my first name, Alice, which I don't use. I was never able to get Alice as my user name so started using Licia and it worked. I even get mail now addressed that way. I must say it is nice to see the actual names of those in the forum.

Dove said:
My real name I guess is Mairead...Mare-read?? My grandfather is from Scotland..

since I can't pronounce it right I guess I'll go by Marge~dove

Dove - it's usually pronounced as 'Muh raid' - longer second syllable.

I think we should be allowed to change our names when we turn 18 when we are our own selves and not what our parents wanted us to be....Just as long as the rule doesn't allow my son and daughter to change theirs :ROFLMAO: I am starting a thread.

auntdot said:
Gee QSis, I understand your point, but I kinda like user names.

It is a chance for each person to demonstrate a persona of his/her choosing.

And perhaps the persona we choose reflects a part of us we can only express in an anonymous setting.

I don't need to know Goodweed's name, or Sushi's, or My Leg's Big (I have no idea where that came from either, but don't really care).

I just know the people here, in MHO, are great. And if we hide behind a bit of a facade, well, that is the wonder of the internet.

Again I understand your point, and anyone, I believe, is free to use their real names.

I may seem quixotic to cling to a user name, but I kinda like the anonymity.

Just auntdot's opinion.

Take care.

You've expressed it for me Aunt Dot..I couldn't think of the right words to say pretty much what you've said.:)

I use my own real name for a simple reason .... I can't remember anything else! I've tried a variety of nomes de cuisine but just can't remember them. Luckily our staff here did consolidate them all. So now I'm just me.

Back
Top Bottom