London Broil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I bought a nice London Broil yesterday. Its a cut of meat that they don't normally carry but they are finally starting to change their meat department and carrying different cuts.

Anyway, can I use this for fajiatas? I was thinking this and Flank Steak were interchangable?

What other ideas do you have for me to use with this cut of meat?

London Broil is actually a preparation, not a cut of meat so you might want to try using it to make London Broil :)

:ermm: really.........then wonder why they put on the label London Broil and not what cut it truely is then? Can it still be used for fajitas?

Also, I've never had London Broil......now I'm off to research this. Thanks for the inf.

This is my own developed marinade for meat, & I've used it for everything from London Broil cuts, to chuck steaks, to lamb, to tuna steaks. Any time frame from a few hours to overnight works, except for tuna, where 1 hour should be tops.

1 – 2 – 3 – 4 MARINADE FOR MEAT

In a plastic ziplock bag, bowl, or dish large enough to hold the meat & marinade, combine:

1 tablespoon of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of dry sherry
3 tablespoons of oil (any type of your choosing)
4 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed, & roughly chopped

Add meat & marinate for a minimum of one hour to overnight. Grill, broil, or pan sauté meat as desired.

I marinate mine and then throw it under the broiler. It only takes a few minutes on each side. Then slice. It is great on top of salads or on sandwiches as well.

For fajita's I use skirt steak, I have never tried a london broil

My understanding is, Flank Steak & London Broil are the same thing - same cut of meat. Don't know why the supermarket seems to use the term interchangeably.

Brasciole is one of my favorites.

Prepare it as you would a steak or a roast with onions, potatoes, mushrooms, wine etc. Cut little slits in the steak and insert garlic clove halves. I mix a little water with Lipton Onion Mushroom soup mix and pour it over all - steak, potatoes and veggies.

Flank steak/London Broil IMO can be a little tough - perhaps because it is an inexpensive cut. If anyone has some good tenderizing methods - would be appreciative.

You could use it as part of a beef stew recipe. I have a recipe for Steak Oscar using Flank, crab etc. all rolled up, if anyone is interested. IMO Brasciole is the way to go.

Not a big Mexican food-fan, but Flank sounds like a good choice for fajitas - maybe marinate in lime juice.

Last edited:
mish said:
My understanding is, Flank Steak & London Broil are the same thing - same cut of meat.
Actually this is not so (at least around here). What is labeled London Broil is usually top round roast which is different than a flank steak.

abjcooking said:
I marinate mine and then throw it under the broiler. It only takes a few minutes on each side. Then slice. It is great on top of salads or on sandwiches as well.

For fajita's I use skirt steak, I have never tried a london broil

I agree, abj, it's an inexpensive cut of meat that would be great in a steak salad or a Philly Cheese sammich.:)

Last edited:
GB said:
Actually this is not so (at least around here). What is labeled London Broil is usually top round roast which is different than a flank steak.

That's my understanding too. In the stores here, I am pretty sure that what is soemtimes labeled "Lond Broil" is round steak

Round steak or roast and flank steak come from different parts of the cow and look different.

But a quick google search says that "London Broil" can be round or flank steak.

Last edited:
I use the London Broil cut (which is just cut from the round)

all the time for fajitas. It cooks nicely to rare or med rare, can even be fairly tender still at medium, much more forgiving than flank steak.

I recall we had this discussion earlier. It appears to be somewhat ofa local option. Around here (Massachusetts) I've never seen flank steak labeled as LB. It's always a top round/Shoulder steak.

That being said, the process is to grill/broil it and slice across the grain.

Mish:

Flank steak CAN be tough. The single most inportant way to overcome that is to slice the meat across the grain. You can also use a meat mallet, jacqaring tool or Adolph's Meat Tenderizer to tenderize it (still cutting across the grain).

Andy M. said:
I recall we had this discussion earlier. It appears to be somewhat ofa local option. Around here (Massachusetts) I've never seen flank steak labeled as LB. It's always a top round/Shoulder steak.

That being said, the process is to grill/broil it and slice across the grain.

Mish:

Flank steak CAN be tough. The single most inportant way to overcome that is to slice the meat across the grain. You can also use a meat mallet, jacqaring tool or Adolph's Meat Tenderizer to tenderize it (still cutting across the grain).

Good point, Andy. Think you may have hit the nail on the head re a "local option," since three same opinions came from Mass, while my experience has been on the West Coast, for the most part. Interesting food for thought re why markets stamp/label a cut of meat with different names in different areas.

For me, no matter how I "slice it" - it's one tough piece 'o meat. My solution has been, beat it to death with a mallet & drown it in Worcestershire & smother it with onions :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I bought some round steak labeled "London Broil" on Sunday and made excellent fajitas from it. It was about half as expensive as flank steak.

We cooked it to medium and sliced it very thin.

Ha! I noticed that too, they just started labeling some of our steaks London Broil as well. I was disappointed because the cuts don't look anything like what ends up in my plate when I order the London Broil at a restaurant, which is one of my favorite things to eat!

Here's the recipe I got from my mom and its really good but I don't have exact measurments for anything, you really just have to eye ball or use judgement. Here it is:

Soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Garlic Powder
Black Pepper
Salt

All you need to do is put the london broil in a baking dish with sides about as high as the meat or alittle more. Once in you can either poke hole in the meat with a fork or something else sharp or not to let the meat absorb more marinade. Then season both sides of the meat generously with the salt, garlic powder, and pepper, but use more of the garlic powder and pepper than salt. Then just drench the meat with nice amount of soy sauce and worcestershire sauce, and flip the meat over a few times to make sure both sides absord it. There should be some of the marinade floating around in the bottom of the dish. Just cover and refrigerate for atleast an hour. And then just grill on a medium-low setting for probably 45 minutes or longer, depending how well or not well you like it. You might wanna use one of those digital thermometers with the doneness monitors on it to better gauge.
Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom