Looking for Hot Dog Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Ok, so here's the deal.
Yes Im still a vegetarian, But I've come across a good brand of vegetarian hot dogs, that are pretty good ( in both texture and taste, which is almost impossible to find). Although I havent eaten real hot dogs in 25 + years, I can still vividly remember how they taste.

Having this new opportunity to eat and cook with hot dogs, Ive already done the basics with them ( hot dogs in a bun with various toppings, cut up in chili , cut up in pea soup, pigs in a blanket .

So, If I posted this in vegetarian forum, it might get over looked. Im looking for " REAL Recipes" that may use hot dogs, I ll worry about converting them to vegetarian.

That being said, wrapping them up in bacon doesnt help me much , cause the veggie bacon taste like crap and totally different consistency :LOL: . So keep in mind that recipes that heavily rely on other meat products, in addition to the hot dog, may not be workable to me,

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Oh my gosh! I just googled "recipes for hot dogs" and a zillion recipes showed up. Lots had bacon and I know that is not what you want, but there were many other recipes without bacon like hot dog hash with potatoes, onions, and peppers or diagonally sliced hotdogs sauteed with a little wine and asparagus. I almost gagged when I read a recipe that used a Twinkie as a bun!!!??? Anyway, trying googling and see what tempts you!!!

Yeah, the twinkie thing is a little extreme :)
Ive actually made something similar to that hash you had mentioned.
My grandmother called it " hot dog goulash" onions, potatoes, salt, pepper, paprika and hot dogs cut in chunks. kind of a mix between a soup / stew . That actually works well with these dogs.

Beanie Weinie! I make them when I'm looking for a comfort food.

I take the hot dogs and slice them all up and add them to a can of pork & beans. Since you're vegetarian, vegetarian beans.

I like the sauce in the beans, so I usually add some water, catsup, a little brown sugar and a bit of mustard to get more sauce.

I put the sliced hot dogs in the bottom of the pan, add the beans (and other ingredients) on top.

I simmer on low with no pre-heating, until the hot dog slices work their way to the top of the pot, all plump and cooked.

This is also very excellent with Bush's Baked Beans.

Last edited:
A Danish dish called, "Svensk Pølseret" (Swedish hotdog dish), but Swedes have never heard of it. :LOL:

for 4 people:

1 kg cold, cooked potatoes
10 hot dogs (500-750 grams)
1 onion, ~150-200 grams
1 tblsp sweet paprika
75 grams tomato paste (~2 tblsps)
300 ml milk
100 ml whipping cream
butter or margarine for frying
salt and pepper to taste
chopped chives for garnish

Dice or slice the potatoes.
Cut the hot dogs into slanted pieces or slices.
Chop the onion.

Fry the onions in butter until translucent and lightly brown.
Add the pieces of hot dog and paprika and fry for a minute or two.
Add the potatoes, tomato paste, milk, cream, and salt & pepper to taste.
Stir, carefully, to avoid breaking the potatoes.
Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Garnish with chives and serve.

The amount of milk and cream should be adjusted to allow the sauce to be quite thick. Some people use only milk, some use only cream, but using using both is the most common.
url

This is something we fix quite often. As you said, you can convert to your veggie dogs. Heat the hot dogs in boiling water just to take the chill off them. In the bottom of the bun place grated onion. Your option on how much or little. Next a stripe of yellow mustard. Next your favorite grated cheese. Then the dog. Then we put no bean chili. Wrap them in Aluminium foil and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Thes are really good.

Top w/ sauerkraut and make like brats. Salsa plus whatever for Mexican dogs. Google Sonora dogs not Chihuahua's.

Slice and mix with a warm German potato salad. Omit the bacon in the potato salad.

A plain regular dog is good. Yellow ball park mustard, glow in the dark green relish and chopped onion. Spiff it up. Grilled dogs. They make a spicier less sweet pickle relish these days, pour a couple glubs cider or red wine vinegar to marinate the chopped onion, or use a caramelized onion "jam"<< there's a recipe in the DC search box that either Pac or RockL make and I'm sure I copied since I made it last summer. Can't find the recipe in my files right now?.

A couple quick pulses in the food processor, mix w/ mayo and a little pickle relish. Voila'-- ham salad spread.

I know you already mentioned split pea soup. Google German, Dutch, Swedish or Canadian pea soup. I think the latter two use yellow peas.

Ok, so here's the deal.
Yes Im still a vegetarian, But I've come across a good brand of vegetarian hot dogs, that are pretty good ( in both texture and taste, which is almost impossible to find). Although I havent eaten real hot dogs in 25 + years, I can still vividly remember how they taste.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Seriously? You found a good one? Who makes it? SHARE!!

This is a pet peeve of mine - veggies dogs are too salty, too dry and well, basically horrid....

For a snack I like to cut them into small pieces and stick one piece in the middle of mini muffin sized corn bread muffins then bake the muffins. I also like to put hot dogs in a batch of baked beans. For a funny kid treat...stick several sticks of dry spaghetti lengthwise through the hotdogs then boil them till the pasta is cooked. The kids never figure out how you did it. You can serve them with marinara sauce for dipping.

Last edited:
You can fry these, then cut them into pieces and put these into grits, polenta, beans, or macaroni and cheese.

With love,
~Cat

For a snack I like to cut them into small pieces and stick one piece in the middle of mini muffin sized corn bread muffins then bake the muffins. I also like to put hot dogs in a batch of baked beans. For a funny kid treat...stick several sticks of dry spaghetti lengthwise through the hotdogs then boil them till the pasta is cooked. The kids never figure out how you did it. You can serve them with marinara sauce for dipping.

Now I'm going to have fun with my grandson!

So first you take a hog dog.

You encase in pork sausage. Use bacon to make a mesh and wrap around. Once you have that you take a pork loin and butterfly so you can stuff it with the hot dog. All that goes into a chicken with sausage stuffing to fill out the cavity. Deep fry in rendered beef fat.

Go ahead and make that vegetarian... :mrgreen:

Seriously though.. who makes a good vegetarian hot dog? I know people who want to know.

So first you take a hog dog.

You encase in pork sausage. Use bacon to make a mesh and wrap around. Once you have that you take a pork loin and butterfly so you can stuff it with the hot dog. All that goes into a chicken with sausage stuffing to fill out the cavity. Deep fry in rendered beef fat.

Go ahead and make that vegetarian... :mrgreen:

Seriously though.. who makes a good vegetarian hot dog? I know people who want to know.

I like your recipe, Frank, LOL, but I would also like to know about the good veggie hot dog. Hearing it from someone who eats them sure beats buying and trying all of them!!

Back
Top Bottom