Should I remove the green part of garlic cloves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
here

Attachments

• IMG_20231213_150857.jpg
    IMG_20231213_150857.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 11
It won't hurt you. There are some who believe the green has a bitter taste. There are others who believe it tastes young and fresher. It's food - different tastes are OK.

It's harmless, so try it for yourself and see if you notice any difference.

Yes, the green bit gives a "bitter" taste! You should always discard it.

Sometimes I do (when chopping by hand), sometimes I don't (when doing a lot in mini chopper).

Garlic sprouts coming out of the garlic have a little milder garlic flavor than the garlic once chopped. I keep them and use them. We use on average 150 to 200 bulbs/year.
(same with sprouting onions, I chop them and use them to garnish soups, stews, and any hot dish)

Im in the ' leave them as they are' group. I've never noticed a difference other than the visual. I store my garlic from July through early spring ( and hopefully longer). The longer they are stored, the more likely they try too sprout, so my fresh ones are white through and through , and as time goes on they develop the green spot, and ultimately a shoot, which I chop up as well.

Did it once - and that was once too many - can't be bothered, can't tell a difference.
I don't notice a difference either.
Garlic sprouts coming out of the garlic have a little milder garlic flavor than the garlic once chopped. I keep them and use them. We use on average 150 to 200 bulbs/year.
(same with sprouting onions, I chop them and use them to garnish soups, stews, and any hot dish)
Exactly. That's what I do too. If there is a sprout on a clove of garlic, it goes in the salad, if there is one. Otherwise, it gets chopped up and used with the rest of the clove. I do the same with onion sprouts.

I have heard people claim that if garlic gives you digestive discomfort, it can be prevented by removing the green centres. I don't know if it's true. I haven't had digestive discomfort from garlic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom