2022 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can the stove be programmed to not use the broiler as part of the pre-heat?

not that I know of - if using "Convection Mode" it prompts for a "Rapid Preheat?"

I'll try the heat shield thing - that failing it'll be preheat the oven . . . like I do for every other blinking thing, so it's hardly a big deal.

This is a family favorite, revisited; the Dunp Cake. It couldn't be an easier desert to make, other than eating fresh fruit. For this dump cake, I mad two in one; a devil's food cake topping raspberry pie filling, and spice cake topping apple pie filling. Here's ho it comes together;:

Lighter Side:
2 cans Duncan Hines More Fruit Apple Pie Filling
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 Betty Crocker Super Moist Spice Cake Mix
1 cube salted Challenge brand butter

Darker Side:
2 cans Duncan Hines Extra Fruit Raspberry Pie Filling
1 stick of salted butter
1 Betty Crocker Super Moist Devil's Food Cake

Pour each pie filling into half of a 9X11 cake pan. Try to form a clean border where the two fillings meet. Even as much as possiblke.

Top the apple filling with the spice cake mix, and the raspberry with the Devil;s Food Cake mix, again leveling the cake mixes. drizzle one stick of butter over each half, trying to cover all of the mix. Place into a 365'f. oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let cool to room temperature. Drizzle caramel sauce stings on top. Serve with Chantilly Cream, or French Vanilla ice cream.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• 20220203_171036.jpg
    20220203_171036.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 38
ovens with software written by Chinese who never use it, , , can have some interesting quirks.

meanwhile back on the farm - the heat shield approach is working.
IMG_2103[1].jpg

I've been making the same apple walnut cake for years (got the recipe from my sister and she called them apple squares). It's easy, simple and delicious. Mixes up in one bowl in five minutes.

The other day, SO suggested making the recipe as muffins. What a great idea! We have a variety of muffins we rotate through for a quick easy breakfast. This would be a terrific addition to the rotation.

So I whipped up a batch this afternoon. It's what's for breakfast tomorrow!

53BBEEB9-6503-44EF-9919-1B8E1FC663E1_1_105_c.jpg

I've been making the same apple walnut cake for years (got the recipe from my sister and she called them apple squares). It's easy, simple and delicious. Mixes up in one bowl in five minutes.
The other day, SO suggested making the recipe as muffins. What a great idea! We have a variety of muffins we rotate through for a quick easy breakfast. This would be a terrific addition to the rotation.

So I whipped up a batch this afternoon. It's what's for breakfast tomorrow!

View attachment 50919

Looks wonderful. Have you posted the apple square recipe? If so, link please, and what is the bake temp/time modifications for muffins?

Last edited:
I made 3 loaves of rye bread yesterday, starting a sponge the night before with some rye flour and mashed potato. This recipe also has 3/4 c cornmeal, cooked in the remaining water, then cooled. All whole grain flour, except the last cup, which I use bread flour for - this way I let the whole grains absorb the water for about 15 minutes, before continuing with the kneading, and sprinkling in the bread flour as needed.
3 two lb loaves of dark rye, with potato and cornmeal in it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

They're still in the rising stage. I'm making Paczkis. I have both chocolate, and vanilla pastry cream made and ready to pipe in. I'll take pictures when they're complete.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom