Gourmet to picnics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
Lately in my mind gourmet, rustic, picnic all these food styles are more about the presentation than the actual food.
Other than things cooked fancy with CO2, etc like on tv.
Take pasta at a fancy restaurant the ingredients are all the same let’s say rigitoni, ragu, spinach and parmigiana cheese. It looks great you’re out for a nice meal it’s all good. But when I make that at home I’ll make the same thing scoop it into a bowl and eat it sitting on my couch. So presentation and atmosphere is sometimes what makes it more than the food itself.
What do you guys think?

I think you're right. It's a combination of both specific dishes and presentation/location. In some situations food doesn't switch presentations easily. Not sure how the queen would feel about a slab of ribs on her fine china.

Mmmmmm if they’re made up right she’d have to love them lol just with no cameras around. But yes point taken, ribs, wings, I guess any finger food perhaps

Mmmmmm if they’re made up right she’d have to love them lol just with no cameras around. But yes point taken, ribs, wings, I guess any finger food perhaps
Reminds me of two things:
The episode of Will and Grace in which Karen takes Grace to an out of the way taco stand so they can watch Joan Collins pig out on messy tacos.

Mark and I went to see a show in LA with Mom and Dad, and dined at Tony Roma’s on La Cienega when the show was over. Just a few tables away, we spotted Ann Miller (about two months before she passed away) chowing down on a full rack of baby backs. There was sauce everywhere!

I think you're right. It's a combination of both specific dishes and presentation/location. In some situations food doesn't switch presentations easily. Not sure how the queen would feel about a slab of ribs on her fine china.

In the summer, the whole family heads for Scotland and their summer vacation. Philip does all the outdoor BBQing right by the river. Charles and the rest of the men are fishing from the shore and what they catch goes on the grill. One will never know if they make the ribs or not. If they are not, too bad for them.

To me, the difference between what I make at home and what I order in the restaurant comes down to "Who's doing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen?" I'll glady foot the bill to have someone else take care of prep and clean up.

Lately in my mind gourmet, rustic, picnic all these food styles are more about the presentation than the actual food.
Take pasta at a fancy restaurant the ingredients are all the same let’s say rigitoni, ragu, spinach and parmigiana cheese. It looks great you’re out for a nice meal it’s all good. But when I make that at home I’ll make the same thing scoop it into a bowl and eat it sitting on my couch. So presentation and atmosphere is sometimes what makes it more than the food itself.
What do you guys think?

Well... to some degree I agree. But, a simple meat and potatoes stew is rustic, even if you present it in fine China with silver spoons.

Preparation plays a significant part. Rough chopped veggies vs finely diced. Pealed potatoes pureed vs skin on for a rough mash. It doesn't just look different, it is different. It "eats" different, IMO.

CD

What do you guys think?

I know that when I fix a meal, for example, a pastrami and swiss sandwich, potato salad, and a few assorted pickles and olives, it seems to taste much better at a picnic up on the river than it does at my dining room table or a restaurant. :) :LOL:

Last edited:
I know that when I fix a meal, for example, a pastrami and swiss sandwich, potato salad, and a few assorted pickles and olives, it seems to taste much better at a picnic up on the river than it does at my dining room table or a restaurant. :) :LOL:

Food always tastes better outdoors, IMO. Especially camping. I don't know why, but I can toss a steak onto some coals at a campground, and it will taste better than a steak at the finest steakhouse in Dallas. Even something as simple as scrambled eggs seems to taste better when I'm camping. Campground coffee is over the top good.

CD

To me, the difference between what I make at home and what I order in the restaurant comes down to "Who's doing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen?" I'll glady foot the bill to have someone else take care of prep and clean up.

Even though I like washing dishes and the cleanup, I still like your thinking. :)

What do you guys think?

Since I used to only go out to eat about twice a year, it was a time of enjoyment for me. My daughter would take me to one of the two restaurants we really enjoyed. The food does look more appetizing when it is plated at the restaurant. But does it taste better? Not always. There are some dishes I enjoy done with home cooking. Restaurants never serve beef stew. One of my favorite stews. I find that it is mostly soups that can't compete with home cooking. A cup of chicken broth can never match homemade broth.

Back
Top Bottom