My Dream Food Job is....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a few.

One is to be a recipe developer, for baked goods of course! Not for huge mass marketed things, because I'm not a chemist and don't want to work in a laboratory, but maybe for a place like Disney.

My sister wants to open a coffee house, and have me as a baker, I would like that, except my sister is, well, kinda nuts and not in a good way.... She has the money for the venture, but there are two of her, one fun loving sister and one extremely narcissistic sister. The latter being the reason that we aren't close anymore.

The third would be having a commercial kitchen where I baked to supply coffee houses, restaurants etc. without a store front. I figure this would be easier to manage, just fill orders and not have to predict what I needed and waste. I would also need minimal help. I would prefer this over a retail bakery situation.

Like has been said before, I am leery of making a career out of my passion, I don't want to turn a hobby that I love into drudgery.

I'd love to be an culinary arts instructor, teaching people who really wanted to learn how to cook well. And it would have to be at a university, or private school that paid well, and had summers off. Better yet, I would own the school, and make enough, without gouging the students, to take the summers off.:D And the students would work in a restaurant that would be a part of the school curriculum, and a part of the school. There would also be an herb and veggie garden large enough to support the restaurant, again taken care of by the students.

The school take the students from planting seeds in the ground to serving guests at the table. So it would have to be a school for future farmers or animals, and plants, and a school for future culinary masters, and be self sufficient. Oh, and the farm would have to use sustainable farming techniques that are actually good for the land.

How's that for a dream.:D

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

There's a local guy who has my dream job - he's the food and wine editor for a local quarterly lifestyle magazine, appears weekly on the local "Good Morning America" type TV show and a local public radio talk show to talk about food, restaurants, trends, etc., writes a column for the local paper, is on hand for all local culinary competitions as MC or judge, writes a newsletter for a local farmer's market, etc.

Or, freelance food writer, editor, photographer and recipe tester.

That drives me crazy!!! I even keep my eggs, bread, crisps etc for last so I can pack it myself.
It also drives me nuts when they pack raw chicken and meats with dry products and I get home to find blood on cooked items.
It takes me hours to do my monthly shop now. I pack the items I buy in order of packing preference :angel:
This still doesn't always help!

The baggers in our area all seem to be trained the same: They put all the canned goods, even if it's 8 or 10, in one really heavy bag; they put a single loaf of bread in a double bag; they put all the cold items together, including raw meats with veggies (so for many years, I've been putting the raw meats first on the conveyor belt and requesting that they put them in their own bag). Lately, I'm like Andy's SO - I tell them when there's enough in a bag, what to pack together, etc. Works for me :)

The baggers in our area all seem to be trained the same: They put all the canned goods, even if it's 8 or 10, in one really heavy bag; they put a single loaf of bread in a double bag; they put all the cold items together, including raw meats with veggies (so for many years, I've been putting the raw meats first on the conveyor belt and requesting that they put them in their own bag). Lately, I'm like Andy's SO - I tell them when there's enough in a bag, what to pack together, etc. Works for me :)

:LOL:
Wish our baggers had some form of training! Can't really expect much from a country that has an ex convict for a president.
There is one bagger at our supermarket that packs exactly like I told her to and she now does it without me having to ask.
When I do my monthly shop I go straight to her and she gets a good tip when I'm done.
The others put meat in with insect repellent, bloody chicken in with our pastries,eggs and bread with cans etc.
I'm sure it's on purpose.
Thank goodness for Patricia my favourite bagger, she even helps me carry groceries to the car and tells me if I've bought an item that has another brand on special to help me save some cash! Bless her.

Last edited:
I would be a wife and mother in a home where there are no money worries and the rest of the family would eat whatever I cooked with no complaints. Of course the kitchen would be large and really well equipped so I would have the tools that I would need to cook whatever I wanted.

I guess someone is paying attention at my local (HEB,the largest employer in Texas). I am always asked about separately plastic bagging meats (before they go into my canvas bags). I'm always asked it they should bag milk gallons or leave them loose. Produce goes with produce. Frozen goes with frozen and with dairy. If anything, they bag a little light. There is never a bagging problem. Bagging staff is nearly always either university students or special needs (head injuries) hires, of which they have many. I do, however, have to look back and check the bagging table. Otherwise, about twice a year, something won't make it into the bags.

I never worked in any food related job ever and never had the desire to.

But I am Chef and owner of 'Park Drive Bar & Grill' which happens to be my kitchen, outdoor grilling, and patio area. Family and friends dig that, but not so much the food.

I would like to have the whole bookstore/ cafe thing but enough money to run it without worrying if I am going to stay afloat and enough good help so I can slack when I want to. :ermm:

I always put my groceries on the belt the way I want them put in bags. I am one of those people that will carry almost every bag I have in at once (well what I can handle) so I like them packed!

A tiny place up in the mountains of St. Martin, I think. With 4 tables and a menu that's posted outside daily on a chalkboard, with plenty of fresh fish and a to die for cream cheese/caviar tart. We actually ate at such a place. The guys who ran it were willing to sell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom