What Else to do With Sauerkraut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make cabbage borscht....onion; large can of tomatoes, couple of potatoes cut up, (put in later than the rest of the stuff so they don't turn to mush), the saurcraut, and I like mine sweet and sour, therefore brown sugar and lemon or citric acid., salt and pepper....excellent for freezing

Here's my recipe...It's quite tasty!

SOUR KRAUT SALAD

1 can sauerkraut, drained
1 lg. onion, diced fine
1 lg. green pepper, diced fine
1 c. celery, diced fine
1/2 c. salad oil
1/2 c. vinegar
1 1/2 c. sugar

Combine sauerkraut, onion, green pepper and celery. Beat until thick: salad oil, vinegar and sugar. Pour over salad. Refrigerate and let stand overnight.

You may want to cut down on the sugar.

Yum yum yum ladies! Copied and saved both recipes!

A friend of mine told me she made eggrolls with a sauerkraut twist, american style.

The filling:
chopped sauted onions
chopped rinsed sauerkraut
ground beef browned
(might be more?)
Wrapped in egg roll wrapper, fried, can be crisped up in the oven on another day.

I don't have the original recipe anymore, but, it was delicious and different.

Saurkraut freezes nicely. Put it on a cake pan or cookie sheet & freeze. Break it into pieces & store in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Take out as needed.

sauerkraut makes a tasty cold weather soup. also, sauteed with shredded cabbage and/or potatoes--always with bacon or duck fat, or oil--not butter. sauerkraut tastes better with each reheating--my mother used to say it turns into meat by the end of the week.

Pierogi Skillet. Basically a pierogi without the dough, served over egg noodles. A nice one pot meal.

I posted this awhile ago. Scroll to post #17 for the pictures.

My Mom's Pork Chops (Click here for recipe)

img_1002347_0_4d68f647fcedcda694b473b7a850f79d.jpg

I am surprised with all these great ideas nobody mentioned a sauerkraut cake.

This always used to appear in church cookbooks and several recipes are available on the web.

If it's the sweeter Bavarian style, here's my favorite way to fix it:

Slice a medium onion into strips. Carmelize in oil, with a bit of salt.
Stir in the drained kraut, saute for a few minutes.. Cover and simmer
for 5 more, then serve as a side dish, or on top of dogs, brauts or braised pork!

I can and do just eat it by itself.

Here's my recipe...It's quite tasty!

SOUR KRAUT SALAD

1 can sauerkraut, drained
1 lg. onion, diced fine
1 lg. green pepper, diced fine
1 c. celery, diced fine
1/2 c. salad oil
1/2 c. vinegar
1 1/2 c. sugar

Combine sauerkraut, onion, green pepper and celery. Beat until thick: salad oil, vinegar and sugar. Pour over salad. Refrigerate and let stand overnight.

You may want to cut down on the sugar.

I don't know how I ever missed this thread on Kraut !!

Constance, I've been using the same recipe for years and it's outstanding, I use red onion for color, and use only 1/2 cup sugar. In my experience, the salad needs to be drained after the overnight marinade.
I even had it published in a club cookbook, and called it "Trust Me Sauerkraut Salad" People who hate sauerkraut love this unusual salad, even kids.
With hot weather nearly here, it's really good with grilled or barbecued pork.

Last edited:
Kayelle said:
I don't know how I ever missed this thread on Kraut !!

Constance, I've been using the same recipe for years and it's outstanding, I use red onion for color, and use only 1/2 cup sugar. In my experience, the salad needs to be drained after the overnight marinade.
I even had it published in a club cookbook, and called it "Trust Me Sauerkraut Salad" People who hate sauerkraut love this unusual salad, even kids.
With hot weather nearly here, it's really good with grilled or barbecued pork.

I will make this this weekend! Thanks Constance and Kayelle!

How would swapping out the green peppers for jalapenos work? Got some beauties.

Last edited:
Pork short ribs with saurkraut & dumplings. A good german recipie I grew up with.

i never did get the appeal of those novelty recipes for "mock" apple pie, for instance, made with potato chips and cinnamon. so now there is a sauerkraut cake and what's special about it is that you can't tell there's sauerkraut in it? i prefer a dish that TASTES like sauerkraut because i happen to LIKE the taste of sauerkraut. am i missing something here?

vitauta said:
i never did get the appeal of those novelty recipes for "mock" apple pie, for instance, made with potato chips and cinnamon. so now there is a sauerkraut cake and what's special about it is that you can't tell there's sauerkraut in it? i prefer a dish that TASTES like sauerkraut because i happen to LIKE the taste of sauerkraut. am i missing something here?

Ack puh. Mock apple pie with Ritz crackers? Pitui. Spit spit.

I agree.

We always put sauerkraut on pizza...my DH's sauerkraut is quite good. We also make sausage and sauerkraut with juniper berries...it has been awhile since I've done that, so I can't remember if there is anything else in there...

I know I have seen several reuben casserole and reuben soup recipes in various cookbooks I have. Keep meaning to make the soup and just haven't gotten around to it.

We always put sauerkraut on pizza...my DH's sauerkraut is quite good. We also make sausage and sauerkraut with juniper berries...it has been awhile since I've done that, so I can't remember if there is anything else in there...

I know I have seen several reuben casserole and reuben soup recipes in various cookbooks I have. Keep meaning to make the soup and just haven't gotten around to it.

I love saurkraut on pizza too. Add some pineapple, green olives & italian sausage with it & it's really good.

Back
Top Bottom