What's your weather right now? 2024 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Texas has always had weird winters, while summers have been very predictable -- hot and dry. I remember one day just before Christmas years ago, I drove to work in slacks and a short sleeve shirt, and drove home in an ice storm.

It has gotten worse. The last three summers were brutally hot and very dry. Winters have been more volatile than before. We made international news in February of 2021 with the "Big Freeze" that killed at least 250 people, and cost $195-Billion.

This week, we went from 94F on Monday, to sleet today, and we'll be back to 82F on Saturday.

Of course, Texas is making international news again right now, with wildfires. One fire has burned over one-million acres in one week (the State of Rhode Island has 776,960 acres), and containment is about three-percent. This weekend is going to be unseasonably warm again, with winds of 20-30 MPH expected. which will feed those fires.

Weather is getting more and more extreme.

CD

The rain started late last night, and just recently stopped, or at least slowed down to a mist, raining just over an inch and a quarter total. It is still 57°, and is only forecast to get down to 47° tonight - about our average high at this time! Next 4 days are supposed to get into the 60s, and not much cooler after that. And little sun in the ten day forecast.

A really nice day Sunday, getting to 67°, and sun all day, and another nice day here today, with more sun than was expected, but the clouds came in late in the afternoon, and the temp dropped quickly, from 67° to 58°. It's still not supposed to get much below what our high is supposed to be, at this time, in the mid 40s. More rain soon, and no more sun until maybe Friday. Rainfall totals this week 2-4 inches, most down towards the shore. It's like April showers now! :LOL:

It was another sunny and 80F day, today. There is a chance of rain and storms tonight, but the bigger chances are on Thursday.

We are heading into storm season. That means hail. My next door neighbors have two Mercedes, and a garage full of stuff, so both are parked outside. Across the street, they have two BMWs and a MINI, and only one of the BMWs is in the garage, due again to junk in the garage. A few doors down, they have a Range Rover and a BMW, both outside. I guess the junk is worth more to them than the expensive cars.

I also am worried about my sister and mom in Houston. Right now, Atlantic and Gulf waters in the hurricane development zone are where they should be in June. Any hurricanes that form could me monsters with all that warm water to fuel them.

Meanwhile, unseasonably warm weather and winds in West Texas have taken the Smokehouse Creek fire to 1,078,000 acres, equivalent to about 1,700 square miles.

2024 could be a pretty rough weather related year for Texas.

CD

It's rainy here and between 46 and 56 degrees Fahrenheit over the next 24 hours. My garlic seems to like it. I've got hopes (again) for this year's garlic.

Right now it's 8°C (47°F). We had a high of 13°C (56°F). That's ridiculous for Greater Montreal in March. But, we are expecting snow mixed with rain on the weekend.

Well, it is Springtime in Texas...

1710462755360.png

1710462768311.png

1710462787817.png

The tornado sirens have gone off three times in the last hour.

Of course, it hasn't even rained on my yard... not a stinking drop.

CD

Well, it turns out a very small, probably F0 tornado, touched down briefly in Frisco. It touched down four miles from me (according to Google maps), and yet, I didn't even get rain a my house from that storm. It did minor damage to the UNT campus in Frisco, but did pick up a parked car and toss it across the parking lot. A witness saw it, and it clearly rolled over, since the roof was partially crushed.

I got plenty of rain overnight, with storms rolling through around 1AM and 3AM. Thunder and lightning, but no damaging winds or hail.

CD

It has been in the 70s the last 3 days, next couple forecast for 63°, then drops to 52° monday, which is average high, then Tuesday it is only supposed to get to 45°, and that's the first day of spring! Fortunately, I haven't had any severe weather around here - even the snow this winter melted before I had to shovel.

Too much of the snow melting really has me worried. That's the water we need to fill our rivers. I'm worried that forest fire season will be really bad this year.

It has been in the 70s the last 3 days, next couple forecast for 63°, then drops to 52° monday, which is average high, then Tuesday it is only supposed to get to 45°, and that's the first day of spring! Fortunately, I haven't had any severe weather around here - even the snow this winter melted before I had to shovel.

The storm front cooled things down here. We were around 80F on Thursday afternoon, and only got up to 61F today. So you were warmer today than I was here in Dallas.

CD

Woke up to a half foot of heavy wet spring snow, with more on the way!

The city had plowed the sidewalks on the main school route so I was able to walk to the $tore for a loaf of bread and a few other items that I never knew I needed! 😉

When I got home I cobbled together a small casserole of Spanish rice to heat up the kitchen.

Mid fifties expected on Monday!

Sunny today, but only 67F. Rain coming back tomorrow evening. My car is filthy, but I'm not getting it washed if it is going to get dirty again tomorrow.

On the good side, my new grass seed sprouts in the backyard are almost doubling in size every day. The front seed is a different grass breed, so it needs a bit warmer temperatures before it takes off.

CD

We've almost joined you Aunt Bea. From beautiful warm during Spring Break (kids were lucky) to now below freezing and snow.
Was so excited to see all the tulips and hyacinths popping up, all buried, but should see the snow melt this coming week. Hopefully after that it will be a continual climb.
Been waiting for that big huge dump we always seem to get in March/April. Guess it could still happen.

We woke up to a blanket of snow too. Ours isn't nearly as deep as Aunt Bea's, a few inches. The weather south of the Saint Lawrence River is much snowier than to the north, or as in the case of Montreal Island, in the Saint Lawrence River. We also are expecting it to warm up this coming week. I our case, warming to 12°C, mid fifties °F on Tuesday.

Already had over an inch of rain by 9 am, and it's supposed to rain until 3 pm, and already getting heavier, with some thunder, around 11:00, and it got very windy. 2-3" of rain forecast - for some areas, more.

Well, it stopped raining about 3:30 pm yesterday, and I got about 4 1/8 inches by the end. Maybe some of that wicked wind dried some of it up! After all that rain yesterday, there were hardly any clouds in the sky today, though it took quite a while for the wind to die down. It was still colder than average - barely got to 50° - and I waited until about 3:30 pm to go out for very long. Another below freezing night forecast, and still below average tomorrow, but then slowly going up, later in the week...along with more rain.

...We are heading into storm season. That means hail. My next door neighbors have two Mercedes, and a garage full of stuff, so both are parked outside. Across the street, they have two BMWs and a MINI, and only one of the BMWs is in the garage, due again to junk in the garage. A few doors down, they have a Range Rover and a BMW, both outside. I guess the junk is worth more to them than the expensive cars...

CD
We are in our fourth house. We have never parked even one car outside the garage from Day One in any house, except for the night before a garage sale. We have junk. It just ends up in the basement! 😆

It was a bit chilly and overcast all day today. Storms are just West of me right now, and should arrive just as I am ready to go to bed.

1711341753828.png

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom