"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Curry Forum/International foods Forum?

Desmond raised the topic of the possibility of a curry forum but the topic title was changed , and I think it's possible the thread will sink without a proper discussion on the forum part of his question .

So as a few people were in favour of the idea I thought I would start a separate topic . Obviously this will need Admin input too, I am not sure how the actual site is set up . I used to run one which was fairly easy to change, if parts were not getting used / or become too busy then they could be taken out or updated. I understand that you don't want it to be too complicated so my suggestion is to just update the Ethnic section to reflect International cuisine . Perhaps splitting it into global regions ? So if I wanted a spanish recipe I would look in Europe , that type of thing ?

Curry , as we discussed on Desmonds thread , isn't limited to one country so it could easily carry its own forum .

Just some ideas to update and refresh that particular part , and hopefully to make it easier for people to find , and to file recipes .

Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,783
Thanks for posting about this. I'm not sure about a curry forum but we already have an ethnic/international section... would this work? International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
__________________
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,283
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Thanks for posting about this. I'm not sure about a curry forum but we already have an ethnic/international section... would this work? International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
I think that would be a great place to put a curry subcategory. Right now it's just a mishmash of international recipes, many of them curries. It's a place I might put a recipe that I was contributing, but not a place I would go to look for a recipe.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Thanks Janet , my thoughts are breaking the forum down into specific parts of the world to make searching and posting easier ? It all sits under that one part as far as I can see ? Europe ? Asia etc ?
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
TL I thought the same thing . I wouldn't look there for a recipe I wouldn't know where to start , so perhaps sub groups at least with which part of the world we are looking at ........
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,758
As it stands now, all you need to do is type in "Curry recipes" into our search box at the top right of the page, and you come up with dozens of past recipes and discussions.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,988
Frankly, curries haven't been a popular topic until recently.

The only time I use a sub-forum is when I have to start a thread in the appropriate place.

If I'm looking for a specific item, I go directly to advanced search and enter the parameters. You can also do an advanced search on Google and specify to search only on DC. Soooo much easier than worrying about which forum to look in for something.

JMHO
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,758
Yes, I agree Andy. The big search box at the top right of the page we have with Google takes us to only Discuss Cooking posts on the subject. Easy peasy.

I can see that sub forums of ethnic foods being a big can of worms for a global audience.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,283
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yes, I agree Andy. The big search box at the top right of the page we have with Google takes us to only Discuss Cooking posts on the subject. Easy peasy.

I can see that sub forums of ethnic foods being a big can of worms for a global audience.
How so? It's already called International and Ethnic. New sub categories could be opened for the cuisines with a some minimum number of topics.

Searching would be easier if people always put tags.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
I suppose why have forums for any topic then if we can search for everything ..... Why have forums that are crammed full of stuff thats all lumped in together and it's all a bit of a mish mash . The idea is just to streamline the International part.
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
How so? It's already called International and Ethnic. New sub categories could be opened for the cuisines with a some minimum number of topics.

Searching would be easier if people always put tags.
I'm sure you also remember some of the arguments about the origin of some ethnic recipes. Sub categories would only invite even more of the same. JMHO.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
I am unsure of what you are referring to Kayelle . When you say Ethnic do you mean International , foods of different countries around the world ? I suppose the origin of any recipe can always come into question from any country ?
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I am unsure of what you are referring to Kayelle . When you say Ethnic do you mean International , foods of different countries around the world ? I suppose the origin of any recipe can always come into question from any country ?
Maybe it would be better for you to give an example of your proposed sub categories, besides Curry.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #14
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
I would also like to see a little more subdivision of the "Ethnic Foods" section. While using the search function is great if you know exactly what you are looking for, it doesn't work well if you are browsing through the section.

Also, I would argue that we have many subdivisions under sections like "Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches" (Yeast Breads, Quick Breads, Unleavened Breads) but all international recipes are lumped into a single forum that doesn't lend itself to browsing for something in a specific category. For people who have been here for many, many years, some of you know precisely what to look for. However, newer people have more of a tendency to simply go through the different sections.

Having said that, I don't know if it's necessary to have an entire section dedicated to curry. Like Andy says, it doesn't have a big following here. But I do think it would be useful to break up that big section into some of the more popular ethnic food groups, such as "Asian", "Jewish", "Indian","Mexican," "Thai," etc.

Just a thought.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Kayelle, I outlined my ideas in my first post. Curry was an idea put forward by Desmond in another thread and then Taxlady suggested it could perhaps be a sub category in the International forum . I am suggesting dividing International into broader sections to indicate which parts of the world we are looking at.
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #16
Sous Chef
 
Silversage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 976
I'm with Andy. Until someone popped in recently to talk about his collection of curry recipes, it was never much of a topic here. Each time someone new has a favorite, we can't just further sub-divide the forums to accommodate their pet topic.

Curry can belong to any culture, and it only adds more to the confusion. Maybe curries are just another part of casseroles, soups, & stews. Maybe they're ethnic. Depending on the protein in them, maybe they're chicken or pork. Any way you slice it, it's just more confusing.

If I were looking for a Thai curry, I'd look under Ethnic or Asian, not Curries. If I were looking for new ideas for chicken, I'd look under Chicken, not Curries. If I were looking for something as specific as curry, I'd do a search for the word.
__________________
In our house, dog hair is a condiment!
OMG! I decided to blog!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Curry aside then , I think Desmonds question made me think again about the International/Ethnic section .I have actually raised it before and still think it could do with an update?
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,283
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I would also like to see a little more subdivision of the "Ethnic Foods" section. While using the search function is great if you know exactly what you are looking for, it doesn't work well if you are browsing through the section.

Also, I would argue that we have many subdivisions under sections like "Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches" (Yeast Breads, Quick Breads, Unleavened Breads) but all international recipes are lumped into a single forum that doesn't lend itself to browsing for something in a specific category. For people who have been here for many, many years, some of you know precisely what to look for. However, newer people have more of a tendency to simply go through the different sections.

Having said that, I don't know if it's necessary to have an entire section dedicated to curry. Like Andy says, it doesn't have a big following here. But I do think it would be useful to break up that big section into some of the more popular ethnic food groups, such as "Asian", "Jewish", "Indian","Mexican," "Thai," etc.

Just a thought.
Exactly
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I would also like to see a little more subdivision of the "Ethnic Foods" section. While using the search function is great if you know exactly what you are looking for, it doesn't work well if you are browsing through the section....But I do think it would be useful to break up that big section into some of the more popular ethnic food groups, such as "Asian", "Jewish", "Indian","Mexican," "Thai," etc.

Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
...If I were looking for a Thai curry, I'd look under Ethnic or Asian, not Curries. If I were looking for new ideas for chicken, I'd look under Chicken, not Curries. If I were looking for something as specific as curry, I'd do a search for the word.
I agree with Steve and Silversage. Geographic sub-divisions make more sense. Besides, even with geographic sub-divisions, you can still search curries.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,283
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If I search "curry" won't I get a lot of stuff that has curry powder in it? And it doesn't make for wonderful browsing.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
curry, food, forum, international

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.