2023 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made a batch of corn muffins.

Photo - 1.jpeg

Muffins!

Preheat oven to 350f.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flax meal
1 t baking powder
Dash of salt
1/4 cup sweetener (I used sugar free pancake syrup)
2 T oil
1/2 t vanilla
3/4 cup milk, plant milk, or water

Combine and divide between 6 prepared muffin cups.

Bake 30 minutes, test with toothpick or broom straw. Remove from pan and cool on a rack.

I added 1/4 cup walnut pieces and 1/4 cup Hershey’s special dark baking chips. 🐷

pepper - is your English Muffin Bread recipe posted somewhere? Would love to see it.
I don't think I posted it anywhere, and it's a recipe I tweaked, so here it is:

Whole Wheat English Muffin Bread

1 tb instant dry yeast
2 c Whole Wheat flour
1 c unbleached flour
3 tb wheat gluten
2 tsp salt
1 3/4 c buttermilk, or whisked yogurt, room temperature, maybe 2 tb more
2 tb olive oil, or vegetable oil
1 tb honey, or sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda

A. Combine the yeast, flours, gluten, and salt in mixer bowl, with paddle, and mix briefly, then add buttermilk, oil, and honey, and beat for about 5 minutes - if it's more of a dough than a batter, add a couple more tb of buttermilk. Leave the paddle in place, and cover the bowl with some foil, and let rise for 60 min. Meanwhile, grease a 10x4½" pan - an elongated, 2 lb pan. Remove the cover, sprinkle the baking soda on top, and beat about 2 min. Scrape the dough into the pan, and spray the top with pam, and cover the pan with plastic wrap, and rise about 45 min, or 'til rising just above the top. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°.

Bake 27-30 minutes, or until the bread has a temperature of 195°. Cool on a wire rack.

thank you so much, pepper - I've saved it. Will let you know when I get around to making it. But be patient, I'm not super swift at these things without my own kitchen.

My recipe for Rum Cake.
I like to make cakes for folks who I see on a regular basis to do things for me, ie. my dental hygienist, aesthetician, etc. I have appointments with these two this week.
You are very thoughtful, K-Girl! I like to do similar things. Sometimes I bake, but even a box of store-bought popsicles can be a very welcome thing, on a particularly hot day! :cool:

I haven't turned on an oven for a few weeks. It is supposed to have lows in the 60s, next few nights, so I might try to bake something, as I'm suffering from withdrawal.

With this weather as nice as it got lately, I started some rye bread a few days ago, much like that Old Milwaukee Rye, and after the 3 days, it really smelled like I was brewing something in the kitchen! I haven't tasted it yet, since I was making that pasta mix, but one goes in the freezer, and the other I'll start with tomorrow. I used 1 1/2 c buttermilk for the sponge, to use some up, and finished with water.
a rye sponge, fermented for 3 days. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Everything except the last cup of flour, and the salt, mixed in for the 20 minute autolyse. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Kneading the rye dough in the KA. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Rye dough, ready to rise about 90 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Rye dough ready to rise about 70 min, longer than usual, due to the long fermentation. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished rye bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom