Would you.. Scramble Your Eggs in a Spoonful of Thai Curry Paste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been there, done that :)
With red curry paste and fish sauce. Even better if you have some fresh coriander leaves to mix in.
Try with a little bit first, depending on your heat tolerance

Contrary to popular belief I do NOT smack my eggs on a flat surface to crack them. (unless they are hard boiled of course).
I use a sharp heavy knife, usually my chef's knife. It's a very rare day I get a piece of shell in the egg and an even rarer day break the yolk.
For me, using a flat surface is far more likely to get pieces of shell and break the yolk. go figure...

I wouldn’t necessarily scramble them IN curry paste. I’d mix it in to the liquid eggs.
I'm curious about your reasoning.

I'd fry off the curry paste in butter to bloom the spices and temper them, then add in the eggs. You'll often cook various curry pastes until it separates from the oil before adding other things to the pan. Seems the way to go to me in this case as well.

Contrary to popular belief I do NOT smack my eggs on a flat surface to crack them. (unless they are hard boiled of course).
I use a sharp heavy knife, usually my chef's knife. It's a very rare day I get a piece of shell in the egg and an even rarer day break the yolk.
For me, using a flat surface is far more likely to get pieces of shell and break the yolk. go figure...
I've had better luck with the flat surface and can even (sometimes) manage to unshell the egg one-handed. My idol in this regard was the eggmeister of my local (and now departed) corner bodega. The morning scrambled-eggs-and-something-else-on-a-roll crowd was huge from about 6AM on: Cops from the block-away precinct, guys in suits, and locals rather less-well dressed. Naturally, he had to work FAST. He'd hold a lightweight stainless bowl in his left hand, reach to his right to grab an egg and then tap it briskly on the BOTTOM of the bowl. Then with a swoop almost too quick to see he'd unshell the egg (still one-handed) into the bowl, scramble it with 3 rapid strokes of an ordinary table fork, and dump it onto the griddle. What a performance!

I've never seen anyone use a knife on an egg; obviously you're mastered that skill. Perhaps do a YouTube video? I'm tempted to try it in any case.

:LOL: The trick is just a swift tap/whack and jerk back up... don't follow through with the motion :LOL:

My mom also used to do the one handed egg, crack, into the bowl. I've done it on occasion. Once she watched me do it and admired and said she always wanted to be able to do it... "wha? Mom! I got it from you!"
It's handy to do but often leaves your hand a little ... wet? shall we say?

Okay, it has been many years since it has happened, but I have had the occasional egg that was yucky out of the shell. I got in the habit of always cracking an egg into a small bowl, before pouring it onto a pan or into anything. It also makes it easier to get out any bits of broken shell.

taxy, a very good habit to get into. Especially should you be buying straight from farms/free-range/etc. Chances of getting something completely disgusting to a bit yucky are a bit higher than big box store controlled eggs.
I used to warn all my friends/customers to do just that. Use a bowl then add your egg to .... whatever. I did not "candle" my eggs so had no idea what kind of little surprise you might get. Never had a complaint in more than 20 years!

I sometimes bloom curry pastes but in this case eggs cook so quickly and are so liquid that I’ll think you’ll have bits and chunks of the paste incorporated into the eggs rather than a smoother emulsion.

maybe that’s what the OP wants. I love curry paste but avoid eating it in chunks.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with this idea. But for me, I do just love a plain, very softly cooked scrambled egg with just a little salt and a decent amount of freshly ground pepper. I love the eggy flavour. (I can't stand cooked egg white though, so I thoroughly whisk my eggs!) Gordon Ramsay would have a fit! LOL

Cracking Eggs:
obillo, cracked two eggs this morning and remembered to take a picture for you. Not a video, only have 2 hands.
Cracking eggs 23.08.06.jpg
First Egg
Cracking eggs II 23.08.06.jpg
Second Egg
Cracking eggs no broken yolk II 23.08.06.jpg
into the cooker... no shells, no broken yolks.

funny thing - bacon, mushrooms and onion were done and I was waiting forever for the cooker to "pop".... guess what just broke. Poor thing was from the 50's - still want to check it out as it may just be the cord. But it might be headed for the bin! I'll miss it. I would also hard boil my eggs in it. Sigh...

Back
Top Bottom